Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a pic but I am sure many of you guys know exactly what I am talking about... that brown splotchy staining that seems to be commonly found on the rubber silver wire sleeve that covers the wires coming from the V-Star handlebars. I've seen some bikes where the entire rubber sleeve is like that, others, like mine, have just a bit. What is this and how can I remove it? I tried some Simple Green and it didn't really do anything, then I tried some Comet with a wet rag and that helped, but there's still a lot of staining. Could I use a 2500 grit wet sanding pad or is there something else I can do?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,589 Posts
I recently changed my risers and while watching an u tube video it was recommended to use lacquer thinner to clean the brown residue off the wire loom. I took some thinner on a towel and it wiped off very easily. It has been a few weeks and no negative effects of the thinner on the wire loom. It did not take much to get it off. It appears to be the oils coming out of the vinyl.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently changed my risers and while watching an u tube video it was recommended to use lacquer thinner to clean the brown residue off the wire loom. I took some thinner on a towel and it wiped off very easily. It has been a few weeks and no negative effects of the thinner on the wire loom. It did not take much to get it off. It appears to be the oils coming out of the vinyl.
Thank you so much, I'll give that a try!

Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts