Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
The problem is that I don't know what part(s) I need to get my 2002 VStar Classic (650) up and running safely again. A part that connects the heel toe shifter to the frame next to the floorboard has broken and I want to order the right part. I'm attaching a picture to aid in my poor description - you can see where the threaded or welded portion(on the right side) has sheared off. This is the part that connected to (or through) the frame.

The mystery part acts as both a fulcrum for the shifter, and the brace that keeps it in place. It runs from just inside the floorboard, through the frame/bracket and shift lever and connects to the shift rod.

The prevailing suggestions are
- Pivot Bracket / Pivot Bolt ($6-$15)
- Inherent part of the floorboard assembly ($90-$125)
- Shifter bolt rod end ($3-$5)

I've searched numerous parts suppliers (plus ebay and craigslist) and haven't found the right thing yet. I called the place where I bought it and they want me to have it towed in (for roughly $350)

Again, I apologize for the cross post, and appreciate your time and any suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
On the left is a Quarter. Looks like a 2002.
Sorry, could not help myself.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
patrick, I dont think its the shift rod into the engine

I think its the shaft on the foot-shift lever assembly, that is connected to the engine shift rod by a tie rod.

I tried looking in the 650 service manual, and did not see an exploded view of the entire assembly.

You might try going to BikeBandit.com, enter which bike you have, and look at the OEM drawings.

I would think it would be a chassis part, but again: could not find it in the chassis section of the service manual.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
5,932 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, but if you notice, the bolt that holds the shifter and rod together is NOT in that diagram. It is in the one I posted, as it's part of the footrest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YAMAHA XVS650 V-STAR OEM FRONT LEFT FOOTREST FLOORBOARD BRACKET | eBay

Only thing I can find for sale. Looks like someone drilled it and replaced it with a bolt, or maybe it also broke off.

Here is a peg that has it, and it does look like the above picture. Only way to be sure is to look at the bike and see what is missing.

2001 Yamaha Vstar 650 A XVS - Left Front peg & bracket | eBay
Thanks! I actually messaged the seller yesterday to see if that bolt is part of the original or it it was added after salvage. The bolt in that picture appears to be threaded, whereas the one that I have is not.

I ended up securing it, temporarily with a carriage bolt, some washers and a small rubber o ring on each side - but the wife is NOT happy about me riding it that way (I'm not very mechanical, so it's a miracle I was able to even get that far).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the replies, and the time you spent doing some searches and digesting the results - really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Yes, but if you notice, the bolt that holds the shifter and rod together is NOT in that diagram. It is in the one I posted, as it's part of the footrest.
I was looking for a separate shaft on the drawing floating in the air.

You are correct (as usual :^). It looks like the shaft is pressed or welded into the footpad assembly. I will take a look on my 650 classic during lunch and see if that is the case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts