1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
No doubt about it!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Agreed on all counts :) just attach it back to the battery terminal. Make sure the black wire is on the negative side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deltran Battery Tender?

i'm ignorant about what a battery tender is, i did a google search and found Deltran Battery Tender for use on Battery Tender batteries.

if so, why use this rather than a trickle charger on a lead-acid battery?

is this a common OEM part for the V Star or is it an aftermarket part?

i appreciate all the input you guys have!

"and knowing is half the battle"

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is aftermarket, commonly put on by owners and dealers. I have a battery tender I use in my workshop where I keep the riding mower and the motorcycle. The nice thing is that it will easily plug and unplug from the harness versus having to gain access to the battery and put on the alligator clamps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so basically its used as an easier way to gain access to the battery, typically to use a trickle charger but could add a power port (cigar lighter) to it (as Havoc said).

cool.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You nailed it. In all reality its 2 wires attached to the battery so you don't have to pull the seat. Trickle chargers keep the battery topped off for people that don't ride often. Lead acid oxidizes more quickly at a lower charge. So simply put a trickle charger or battery tender keeps the battery up over winter. Some even have cycle charging to drain and charge like its being used. In the Army we used solar panels as tenders.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts