Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

What kind of grips is everyone using?

3K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  dmil123 
#1 ·
What kind of grips is everyone using and how comfortable / durable are they?
Help me decide so I can get rid of my stock grips!

#2 ·
These were on my bike when I got it. Loved them from the beginning. I will replace with same when needed. I can move my hand slightlyl and you get a different feel. I've done several all day rides and hands never gave me an issue with them.

#3 ·
These were on my bike when I got it. Loved them from the beginning. I will replace with same when needed. I can move my hand slightlyl and you get a different feel. I've done several all day rides and hands never gave me an issue with them.

View attachment 91810
I had those on my 650 and yes, they were fantastic. I had the throttle boss on it too and made it real nice.
Never ordered from that place. Are they quick?

#4 ·
I've ordered several times from JP Cycles, always got things quick without any hassle. I've got cruise control so throttle boss not needed.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
#15 ·
I've got cruise control so throttle boss not needed.
i don't think one negates the other. i have both on mine and only use cruise control for long stretches of constant speed. but that throttle boss is always there constantly alleviating stress and fatigue off the hands, fingers, and wrist.

i have the kuryakyn transformer grips which are pretty much the ISO grips but with a fancier design

#8 · (Edited)
Kuryakyn ISO's same as others have mentioned. At first the vibration was horrible, so bad my hands actually hurt after 10 minutes. I purchased the weighted bar ends and it cured the problem. They are fine now. I also have the throttle boss which is nice too. I probably will add on the cruise assist too.

#11 ·
I agree with what everyone says about the ISO grips. I bought a pair of Kuryakyn for the 1100 and I was very happy with them. They were about $120 CDN. When I got the Nomad it had stock grips so I wanted to change them out. I found a set of Kuryakyn knock offs for $40 and they seem pretty good. The rubber is softer than the Kuryakyn grips and is starting to wear after one season. I guess you get what you pay for but overall I'm happy with them. I'll probably go with Kuryakyn when I replace them.

#18 ·
just installed the Kuryakyn ISO grips with throttle boss on my 650 today. Throttle side is a piece of cake... took about 15 minutes. On clutch side, I protected the end cap and twisted it off with adjustable pliers. Then I worked a shish kabob skewer underneath the rubber grip. With some wd40, I was able to remove it without cutting it. The major caution, the cement used to secure it sets in 6 seconds. The grip is very tight and hard to slip on in that time. I opted not to glue it for now until I find some with a longer working time.

#23 ·
It's glued. I used a small screwdriver and WD40 to get mine off without cutting it. Yeah, the quick set glue was a little worrisome, but I did a dry fit and made sure it was turned to match the other side. Slapped the glue on and slid it in place in seconds. Piece of cake.

#24 ·
I just reread your post and it sounded like you plan to ride without gluing it. I hope I misunderstood. It's a very bad idea to ride like that. The glue that came with my knock off grips wasn't as good as what came with the Kuryakyns and let go. Trust me, when that left grip is loose it can cause all kinds of mayhem. Get it secured before you ride.

#26 ·
no...not the case at all...bike is still in hibernation...glue was ordered after post and will be here in a few days. I read one disgruntled review when the grips were ordered from a buyer who only got the grip half on before it set. I just didnt want to do the same and more than willing to wait a few days to ensure I get it right. Appreciate the warning but totally unneccessary.

#25 · (Edited)
For getting the old ones off you can use a needle to air sports balls and compressed air. Carefully work it between the grip and the bar. The air will help seperate it. Mine came off undamaged. For fitting the left side, i wrapped black tape in a candy cane pattern untill the new grip fit pretty snug. I then took it off and put some super glue on the tape. Not too little, not too much. Grip slid right on and has never moved since. The right side fit good out of tbe box. I just used some clear silicone on that side to hold as i dont want to damage the plastic throttle if I ever change it. Again, not too much, not too little and that has never moved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.