Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here, I am here to ask what kind of jackets are you guys like to wear in summers when on the ride? Actually last summer the pants which I wore sweats a lot and makes me totally uncomfortable, now I am thinking to buy pants from the ski bum Coupon code, because its user reviews are too good, but before that, I thought its better to ask you guys, if anyone has experienced with their pants and jackets?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
for the summer look at textile or mesh jackets and pants

they are made of a mesh material that lets the wind thru, but they are almost like a bullet proof material that will keep you from getting road rash when you go sliding across the pavement

dont get gear designed for skiiing, you need motorcycle riding gear, which also has padding to protect your shoulders, elbows, back, hips, knees

and while you are looking, proper motorcycle riding boots that will protect your ankles from being crushed or ground down to the bone in a slide, and motorcycle riding gloves.

A full set of mesh riding gear will cost you about $1000 (US) including boots and helmet. It will be worth every dollar the first time something causes you go sliding across the pavement at 60mph. Watch a motorcycle road race, in almost every race a rider goes sliding across the asphalt, gets up, and gets back on his bike and continues to race.

Road rash and broken bones take months to heal. Putting on your full gear takes about 2 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
How much riding experience do you have, and do you have your MC license yet?

If not I recommend you take the MSF beginners riding course. Its around $300, you get to ride their bikes for 3 days, and at the end of the course you get your MC license. You will be glad you took the course the first time you avoid an accident because of the skills you learned, it will pay for itself right there, and all the other accidents you avoid after that are just frosting on the cake.

You can find the MSF course material online, read the section on riding gear, its based on decades of experience by thousands of riders.

I got my gear from a local shop. The salesman showed me all the gear he was wearing when he hit a deer at 60mph, got up a bit bruised, but was able to walk away. I love to learn from the expense of other peoples experience.

The best part of getting your license by taking the MSF course is: if you go out and practice for weeks with your permit and another rider, and you take the standard road test, and you fail, the DOT employee will only tell you that you failed for these mistakes. He will not tell you what you were doing wrong that caused the mistakes, how to correct your riding technique, or how to ride better. You will have to take the test again with no feedback.

At the MSF course the instructors watch you doing all the required maneuvers, and they correct you immediately if you are doing something wrong, you get instant feedback and learn to ride correctly. If you are having trouble they will have you do it over and over till you get it right and can do it right consistently.

In my case I had owned an off-road motorcycle for decades and I thought riding on the street was just more of the same. When riding off-road you keep your eyes on the trail, so you dont hit rocks and tree limbs - the instructors must have told me 20 or 30 times: LOOK UP! Keep your eyes up and look where you are going, not at the street. Bad habits are hard to break by yourself.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
How much riding experience do you have, and do you have your MC license yet?

In my case I had owned an off-road motorcycle for decades and I thought riding on the street was just more of the same. When riding off-road you keep your eyes on the trail, so you dont hit rocks and tree limbs - the instructors must have told me 20 or 30 times: LOOK UP! Keep your eyes up and look where you are going, not at the street. Bad habits are hard to break by yourself.
In my case i got my license the old fashioned way. They didn't have the dealer classes back then hell (they just invented the wheel). After i got my license i took a MC safety course and the biggest thing i learned was
= KEEP YOUR EYES UP=
Best $35 i ever spent

Also wear something under my assless chaps

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
forget textile. if you want something with maximum airflow to keep you cool and prevent getting hot and sweaty, look for mesh. ...
I have been using the terms textile and mesh interchangeably, did not realize they are different fabric designs. Textile is the same material, but more tightly woven fabric with less airflow than a mesh jacket.

Thanks for the catch, I edited my original post to include both.

I always thought the main choice was between leather, and man-made materials.

should also point out that textile/mesh gear is normally a one-slide use set of gear. Depending on how fast you are going across the asphalt even a $1000 leather jacket can be ruined, but you will be ok. Something to consider for your insurance - comprehensive coverage is usually pretty cheap for a used motorcycle, and it will cover replacing all your gear if you get knocked down.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
When i took my safety course i was told not to wear man made materials that
can melt while sliding. How much have the materials changed are man made
safe these days. Not much technology back then.
Heck Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I always wore a heavy leather jacket, heat be damned. Then last year I found a deal on a mesh Harley jacket. Wow, what a difference. It's like wearing a tee shirt but still having all the protection of leather. Absolutely the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts