Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through one of the RL/SL threads, and I saw this:

This thread is turning into a how and why you chose a liner. Cool.
Made me want to open it up in general. So, most of us have signatures that say what kind of bike we have, but why did you pick that bike in particular? I'll start:

The bike I have now is the first one I've ever owned. I knew I wanted a cruiser-style bike, and I'd heard that HDs had lots of reliability problems, and that they were expensive (I swear, I'm really not trying to start a Harley-bashing thread. I think they make some really nice motorcycles, they just didn't fit my criteria.), so I was looking at metrics. Took a look at all of the offerings from Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda, but the V-Star 950 kept staying at the top of my list.

I wanted a ride that wasn't going to me too much bike for a relative newbie, but also that I wouldn't grow out of too fast—so nothing on the order of a 250. When I bought it, I didn't know anything about motorcycle maintenance, so I wanted new, and I wanted FI.

The 950 was right where I wanted to be in terms of price, and I liked the styling. Incidentally, the things I liked about the styling, and the reason I chose the non-touring version, were the clean lines, and a complete lack of windshield or saddlebags. Check my signature for the irony. :rolleyes: All the other makers had bikes in the same 900 class, but the V-Star had the best styling, in my opinion. Three years in, I'm still glad I chose the bike I did.

So, what's your story?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my 650 from my FIL who hurt his back and was not able to ride anymore. He gave me an amazing deal on it. While that was the main reason, I did some research on the 650 to make sure it made sense beyond the price. I was very happy with what I read about its reliability and performance. Having never been on 2 wheels before, I felt it wise to avoid anything that could get me in too much trouble too quickly.

If I ride this for awhile and take good care of it, I'll probably be able to sell it for a profit and upgrade to something more powerful.

·
Registered
570 Posts
After i got rid of my sportster i wanted something bigger and more comfortable...I looked for Harleys but the prices here are rediculous...2002 Dynas for like 2000 less than what you can get a new one for...which is a bit too much for a guy who is still sorta new, lol. So my stepdad had an 1100 and I test rode it a couple times and liked it..then I saw an 08 1300 for sale for a great price, mid 7k..went in to go buy it, another guy bought it that morning...So while there I saw an 1100 and decided i liked it. lol I could already handle the sportster pretty good so a 650 was too small..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've rode everything from big singles to sport bikes, and 150 miles has always been a short ride. I was riding a 750 Shadow and decided it was time for something easier on the back. The Vstar was the bike I found that had all the features I was looking for (floor boards, windshield, bags, etc) already on it. Granted I kept the bags off my Shadow but the other stuff being there helped ease some of the financial pain in swapping bikes LOL. One test ride was all it took to prove I was right about the suspension on these bikes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wanted a cruiser, I'm 6'4 so I needed something bigger then my 84 Magna, I found my 2000 V Star Custom with 19,000km, light bar, exhaust, grips, windshield, saddle bags for $3600 so I jumped on it as around here that is about $1500-$2000 below cost. I bought some forward controls and it fits me. I'm still a newbie to motorcycles and I'm looking forward to some nice safe riding in the future. Cheers!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I also am 6-4 and closer to 400 lbs than I want to be. When I decided I wanted a motorcycle I sat on every motorcycle I could find. Knew I wanted a cruiser...and my Strat S fit me like it was made for me!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
545 Posts
First sat on a white 650 Classic about 5 years ago and thought, "I could ride this....!" By the time I got around to actually buying one in '09, I liked the black Custom better.

I bought one thinking it was the most beautiful bike ever made. It just didn't have as much power as I wanted.

I found a black 1100 Custom, and found it was not quite as beautiful as the 650, nor as comfortable with the stock seat, but I needed the extra weight and power so I made the deal.

A predator seat, risers and K&N filter later, I'm happy....

·
Registered
821 Posts
Bought my 2010 950T brand new. Reason, Styling and Price. Didn't even ride it till I got it home. Two years later it fits me like a glove and I love it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The Starto-S I now own actually spoke to me when I saw it in the showroom. :D
If you all were not aware Warty hears voices a lot in general anyhow. :p

I chose my Strat S because I was done with a "Naked" as my main bike (I'd still like to build a fighter) and I was eyeballin' 'Liners before I bought my Tuono. The perfect storm of getting way more in trade for my Aprilia and a ridiculous deal on my Strat happened and I road home on the fastest hued 'Liner available. :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Saw a Craigslist ad for her early last summer, passed it by. October came around and there she was again. Same ad, lower price. Photos had me very intrigued, so I called, stopped by after work one afternoon. He let me ride it a good 10 miles to check the gears and all. Told him I'd get back to him. Next morning after sleeping on it, gave him a call. Price listed was $3100, Took it home for $2600 (I wonder if he really knew it's worth) I just saw something in it. Well, here we are in April and I have no doubts it's the best decision I will probably have ever made in a bike purchase. After a little elbow grease and some small new accessories, I feel it's priceless to me now. The decision wasn't an informed one, but it surely was the right one.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I went toward the V-Star because the reputation for reliability. I was looking at the 650 because at the time i purchased my bike i hadn't ridden in 10+ years and back then 1100 was BIG. Remember the term 'literbike'? My brother talked me into the 1100 (he tried talking me into a White Classic). After 1 month of riding her i new i needed more power :D I still have her and i am still making her mine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bought a 00 650 back in sept. cuz i like the looks and it ran great with very low miles, was gonna gradually upgrade til i went to the dealer to get some new gloves and another helmet in Nov. and saw the raider sitting out front, looked it over for about 45 mins, then the sale girl said they were extending their black friday sale ( $1200 off the price) asked the wife if i could have and rode it home!!!!:D Not a gradual upgrade, but ill save money doing it this way!!!!:D Wont ever go back to a smaller engine, though i would like a Strat or a Liner for the long trips! The Raider does hurt the back on longer rides. Better seat would probly take care of that though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ever since I sold my Kwaka GPX750R back in '92 I wanted to get back into riding. My hard working dad bought himself a stock standard 2000 1100 Custom with extra lights and rack. He barely did 3200 kms when illness stopped him riding and the bike gathered dust in his shed. I inherited it last xmas when he started talking about selling it. I've customised it a fair bit, much to his liking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sold my 2001 R1 for $4350 and began searching for a cruiser after test riding my friends 2006 VTX1300. I had no other experience with cruisers so my immediate first choice was a VTX. My budget was $4350 but I was willing to go to $4800. Well, a VTX is hard to find at that price range. So choice #2 is a VStar1100. Looked at a 2000 Classic and the guy was willing to go to $3000 for it. Something told me not to pay more than $2800 and the guy didn't want to sell that low. Found a 2004 Classic and the guys lowest price was $3900. I wanted to push a little and try to get it for $3700. Almost got it but he said that he found a buyer at $3900 the day I was suppose to pick it up. Finally found my 2003 Silverado and picked it up for $3100. Third time's a charm and I think I got the best bang for my buck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bought a Honda CM250 Custom last year after a 30+ year dry spell.
Beautiful condition, classic (only year they made that model with belt drive).
Was a touch small though. A buddy with a big bore Vulcan said a 650'd fit me well. Started looking on CL.

College boy had the '03 650 custom advertised for $3000. Was lowered front and rear.
It was garage kept for 9 years and only had 1,485 miles on the clock.
Came with bags, tank strap, windshield, chrome covers, Corbin seat, flame grips, Jardine pipes, jetted carbs, LEDs, a new helmet and new studded gloves.
I'm not sure I could have ordered it from the factory any more to my liking.
Walked into his parent's garage and beheld eight feet of pure beauty.
Heard it run for 3 minutes. Didn't even ask for a test drive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Back in the Mid 80's HD released their 1340cc Evolution V twin Engine. In the 90's everyone I knew that had a bike, had a HD with that engine, and everyone else wanted one. The bikes preformed well with that size motor, had good power, decent mileage and just and all around good bike. Gas was cheaper then.
I was back into motorcycles last summer with a Honda 600.
Which is good for around town but leaves something to be desired on the highway.
I was looking at Honda VTX 1300 used, and used HD mid 90's models with the 1340cc engine. the HD'S were around 10K. I could get a newer left over Yamaha 1300 for less money. The 80 cubic inch engine is still big enough for any kind of riding I will do. With Gas prices going up steadily, I'm liking the smaller engine better with every trip to the gas pump. Routine is: Fill up tank, and buy a lottery ticket. If I hit the lottery maybe then I'll look into getting one of those Big Ole V-Twin Gas Hogs. For me the 1300 bridges the gap between big and small and does everything well.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If I hit the lottery maybe then I'll look into getting one of those Big Ole V-Twin Gas Hogs. For me the 1300 bridges the gap between big and small and does everything well.
Awsome B___S, took the words write out of my mouth. That's how i feel about my 1100 :D

·
Administrator
13,713 Posts
finally decided to quit ****in around for years just 'waiting for the right time' and decided that there is never going to be a perfect time and that our time on this planet is short enough as it is and i had already missed out on years of riding. so i found this new model bike that just came out. brand new model. the V Star 950. popped into a local dealership and fell in love with it. EFI, belt drive, modern lines and curves, low seat height, long wheelbase, excellent price, plenty of highway power, and brand new that no one has ever owned before.

3 years and 25K miles later, it's my daily rider, cross country cruiser, showroom work of art, and constant obsession through customizing. it's not just a bike. it's a way of life.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts