Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing 12 inch ape hangers next week but I was wondering what cables I need to buy and what size? So far I'm pretty sure I'll need a new brake line but does anyone know what length and where to buy one? Also will I need to buy a new longer wiring harnesses for the start switch, horn and lights?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I will be installing 12 inch ape hangers next week but I was wondering what cables I need to buy and what size? So far I'm pretty sure I'll need a new brake line but does anyone know what length and where to buy one? Also will I need to buy a new longer wiring harnesses for the start switch, horn and lights?
I don't think you can buy a longer wire harness. You have to make the one you have now longer. The best thing to do is get some wire and some shrink tubing. Hopefully, your new handlebars have holes drilled in them to run the wires through.

You can buy all the heat shrink tubing at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't think you can buy a longer wire harness. You have to make the one you have now longer. The best thing to do is get some wire and some shrink tubing. Hopefully, your new handlebars have holes drilled in them to run the wires through.

You can buy all the heat shrink tubing at Harbor Freight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPBVCMbCUUU
I don't think they have holes drilled through. I'll probably have to do that myself, but I'll call and ask.

Edit...I checked online and the bars aren't drilled so I'll have to do that. I was thinking that I might just drill a hole at the bottom of the bars by the triple trees to run the wiring instead of running them along the outside of the bars like they are now.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If you are going with internal wiring....just know that it's a pretty big job you;re getting into.

You need to cut the factory wire, solder in a length of new wire, then resolder the factory wire with the plugs on the end back on after you string it through the handlebars. There are over 20 wires, so plan on taking at least a full day or two to get this done. It is a lot of cutting and soldering. I'd suggest buying matching colored wire or colors very close to factory...it just makes it so much easier. You'll know for sure what wires you're working with when you have an electrical issue....

Make sure you cut the factory wires at different length intervals so the soldered sections aren't all in the same place. That makes it damn near impossible to pull them through the bars.

Also, make sure to test the continuity of each one after the wires are pulled through....before resoldering the end on.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I was going to have to solder extensions on even if I run them along the outside of the bars, is this not the case?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I thought I was going to have to solder extensions on even if I run them along the outside of the bars, is this not the case?
You can use connector. I think they are called butt connectors. However they might make very hard to thread the wires through the handlebars. The professional way is to solder the two end, then seal it up with heat shrink tubing.

I think that any set of handlebars looks better with those wires inside the bars than zip tied or hanging loose.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can use connector. I think they are called butt connectors. However they might make very hard to thread the wires through the handlebars. The professional way is to solder the two end, then seal it up with heat shrink tubing.

I think that any set of handlebars looks better with those wires inside the bars than zip tied or hanging loose.
Yeah I would think so too. Since its getting chilly and I could use a break from riding I'll probably run the wires the proper way through the bars. Is there any other cables that I should buy such as a longer brake line or will every thing else be fine left stock?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You have more options and it's quite a bit easier staying outside.....going inside takes quite a bit more work, but it does look better. It's a pretty tight squeeze if you're using 1" bars, just keep the bulk down as small as possible. Making the almost 90* bend at the bottom can be a real pain sometimes...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have more options and it's quite a bit easier staying outside.....going inside takes quite a bit more work, but it does look better. It's a pretty tight squeeze if you're using 1" bars, just keep the bulk down as small as possible. Making the almost 90* bend at the bottom can be a real pain sometimes...
I have read somewhere about a trick were you tie or tape a piece of thin rope or line to the cable/wire, feed it into the handlebar then use a vacuum cleaner to suck that piece of rope through the handlebar then pull the wire through. I might try that first and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I have read somewhere about a trick were you tie or tape a piece of thin rope or line to the cable/wire, feed it into the handlebar then use a vacuum cleaner to suck that piece of rope through the handlebar then pull the wire through. I might try that first and see how it goes.
That is the easy part. A string is easy to pull through....a wad of 10+ wires with solder joints and shrink tubing, not so much. Sometimes you have to tug pretty hard to get them to go through. That can cause broken wires, scraped insulation etc. Just take it slow and easy and check the continuity of each wire after they are pulled through.

After you're done, it'll be well worth the extra effort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some like String

I personally prefer chain... I think it is called beaded chain. It is the pull chain from a light. When I did my bars the weight of the chain allowed me to feed it through easily... the when I taped it the texture gave the tape something to grip to

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You'd still need to cut and solder the wires twice. No time savings there when you need to extend the length of the wires...just a lot of extra work for no reason.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I got the handlebars on today and I absolutely love the Bitwells. My wife bought me them for my birthday but she didn't think they would change the appearance of the bike much due to the short rise but when I put them on she was very surprised how it changed the look of the bike for the better. The handling is really good and it's very comfortable having your hands at shoulder height.

Right now I didn't have the time to run the wires internally, Ive been working overtime at work so I will leave that as a winter project. The bars themselves were very easy the put on, the only thing I had to do was run the clutch cable in front of the triple tees and get a longer brake line.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Without pics...it didn't happen....lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The pics aren't the greatest since my phone camera wasnt working and I was shooting without seeing what was on the screen. I also decided not to change my brake line since I only need to extend it by about half an inch max and I couldn't find any lnes like that.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts