Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just bought a 2008 V star 1100 classic with 19 original kms. (about 11 miles). The bike has been sitting under cover in a garage since May, 2009 so she says. Her dad rode it home from the dealer and then passed away soon after. So my question is what oil should I use from now to 1000 kms, the first scheduled oil change. Does Yamaha use a break in oil on these new engines or is it regular motorcycle oil. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't know what oil is recommended for the 1100 but I would change oil and filter now. I understand that it has almost 0 miles on it but that oil has been sitting in the motor for a long time now.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If that bike had fuel in it the whole time expect varnish problems. They can come and go at any time even after you think the last is over. With a little luck...with a lot of luck you'll pass the varnish slowly and now gum up the system. Startron will work against gumming from alcohol, while Stabil's original formula works well with varnish. Hopefully, gently treating to stop any current buildup will restore the fuel system to optimum levels. This is all assuming you actually have problems whether you see them or not. With it sitting that long you should at least be prepared of the possibility.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I think I will change out the oil and filter. I don't know if the filter would brake down over time but no point in taking chances. I've removed all the old gas i could and replaced it with new. I might look at using a fuel additive if the carbs are gummed up. Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey, I just bought a 2008 V star 1100 classic with 19 original kms. (about 11 miles). The bike has been sitting under cover in a garage since May, 2009 so she says. Her dad rode it home from the dealer and then passed away soon after. So my question is what oil should I use from now to 1000 kms, the first scheduled oil change. Does Yamaha use a break in oil on these new engines or is it regular motorcycle oil. Thanks in advance for any help.
Everything I say is 2nd hand, I'm not a mechanic. Yamaha ships new bikes with mineral 10/40, most sources I read say switch to synthetic after 1500 miles.

Our company runs a fleet of both gas and diesel powered vehicles. As to oil changes, our fleet manager says, "oil doesn't have an expiration date, the only thing that breaks down oil is mileage.

Lots of opinions on how to break in a new engine and when to change oil. Search on the web and decide for yourself. I changed the oil and filter at 100 miles, some say 1st change should be at 20.

Sounds like you got yourself a new bike without a new bike price, well done !!!!

I'm in Central Oregon, currently it's down in the lower 20's at night and mid 40's in the day. I ride when the sun shines. Yamaha ships with 10/40 so that's what I'm using as a break in oil.

Best of luck, have as much fun as you can safely have !!!!!

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for the input Don. I'm thinking that Yamaha has no special oil for the break in period so I think I'll go with tried and true 20/50w. My last V twin loved it. Lol!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have looked for concrete info on the type of oil the bike is shipped with. So far I have only been able to find hear say. Most V twins run 20/50 and I don't think this one would be any different would it??

·
Registered
458 Posts
I use the v twin syn stuff you get at the auto store autozone, orielys pepboys they all carry it. You'll find it around the marine section small corner stashed somewhere away from everything else.

20w50 works great I used 10w50 once by accident but o well. Enjoy as well but if they bike as been sitting for 5 years youll need to do more than just chagne the oil even with less than 1k on it.

I gaurantee you the carbs are gummed up in the bowl areas and the gas is pretty much garbage at this point. You will need to remove the tank and empty it out completely rinse the tank well afterwards flush and re-fill with new gas. If you aren't comfortable with it look up some local cycle shops in your area not the dealerships... Tell them the details and tell them you want it all looked over. Your looking at no more than 2-3 hours of shop time for them to look the carbs over and clean the fuel system. I would buy a new fuel filter as well to have them swap out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I changed the oil and filter, removed all the fuel and replaced with new, checked the plugs and gap. Talked to a mechanic at a Yamaha dealer and he suggested the previous. He also said not to mess with the carbs unless needed. I gave her 1/2 choke and it it fired and died. On the second attempt it fired and ran poorly for about 10 secs. and then ran better and better until it became very smooth. It ran so good I decided to de-baffle the stock exhaust, sounds great now! Can't wait for the snow to leave so I can ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts