Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I'll answer anyways.

I have an '01 650, with Cobra Drag Pipes and pod filters, and I run 125 size jets. Pulls nice and hard once it gets on the main circuit, and the plugs look nice and healthy.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
When I got my bike it had all the original jets even though it had the Cobra drag pipes installed. They neglected to change them.

The bike ran hot and the rear pipe would scald your leg if anywhere near it. I did the RAK air cleaner mod and added the K&N filter.
When I changed the carbs I purchased my Jets from Ziv. Kept the
pilots stock and went 3.5 turns out on the PMS screws.

I got 2 pairs of mains and went with the smaller 117.5 I also have 120.
I may bump up to the 120 at some point but right now the bike runs and rides awesome. Pulls good and strong.

Sometimes the cross reference between the MFG jets and the aftermarket jets may differ by number. It all comes down to the size of the orifice . yes size maters.
For example if the Mikuni jets are say 125 the same size aftermarket jets might be 122.5 :rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am actually taking Shpook's advice. I almost have the same set up. I ordered Mikuni 122.5 and 125 main jets. I can't wait till they get here. I will also keep the needle at the 4th notch, try 3.5 turns back on the PMS.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Thats fine you will learn as you go.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
When I got my bike it had all the original jets even though it had the Cobra drag pipes installed. They neglected to change them.

The bike ran hot and the rear pipe would scald your leg if anywhere near it. I did the RAK air cleaner mod and added the K&N filter.

I may bump up to the 120 at some point but right now the bike runs and rides awesome. Pulls good and strong.

Sometimes the cross reference between the MFG jets and the aftermarket jets may differ by number. It all comes down to the size of the orifice . yes size maters.
For example if the Mikuni jets are say 125 the same size aftermarket jets might be 122.5 :rolleyes:;)
...so the rak just mods the stock airbox your not increasing the air that much so you would'nt need to change jettings just turn the pms out a little to prevent lean popping thru the pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
RAM AIR KIT. Which is a cut away done to the stock bagel to allow air flow to enter the air cleaner housing with force. As in moving forward forced air intake. This is completely outlined on the CC&D forum. A free modification. The K&N filter also increases air flow and
will lean out the fuel mixture at idle. The PMS mods can compensate for this. Which richen's the mixture at lower rpms.

The mods I did were based on tried and tested results on many bikes of this same make and model. This is the golden pot of wealth that is on the cc&D forum. I would rather be here and talk with you guys.
but for details on performance mods it is the holy grail.

jake:) ;)

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
It is only a relative term. Ram because the cut away opening is the stock bagel housing in done in a manner that allows direct airflow from
the front of the engine. Just like a hood scoop.

It's real function is to allow cooler air from the front to enter the engine. VS hot air from around the backside of the bagel betwixt the
cylinder heads.

Simple to do mods that are virtually free to perform. You cannot see
anything different than stock unless you look real careful.

jake :):rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
For anyone interested in doing this. It is outlined in complete detail
on the cc&d forum under vstar 650 mods.

It is called the RAK mod. You can use the stock air filter however the
K&N filter offers a bit more airflow and can be cleaned and reused over and over. The rest is done with common shop tools, drill and some careful cutting of the plastic housing.

Stock jetting and this mod are off the table. Doing so will lean out the idle mixture.

There is a table in the performance section that has some different combinations,jetting,air filter, intake mods, ect that work with the
RAK mod.

jake :) ;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts

What is a Rak air mod? And witch air filter did you use?

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,905 Posts
Might not get an answer. If you click on RestoRider's name you can see he was last on forum in 2016. Would be best if you started your own thread as many active members would be more than happy to help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.