Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a "friend" of mine dropped my bike (the quotations marks are a recent addition to the friend status after this event). As a result, I have a bent shifter peg. I'm not sure how bent is too bent to straighten, so I'd like some input. What do you guys think, should I attempt to bend this thing back? Or would it be better to buy a new one?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would take it off and put it in a vice and straighten it. It appears to only be bent in the short run next to the attachment point. Protect it from the vice jaws an bend it slowly.

Augie

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you feel it is too far bent to straighten and you need another one you have nothing to lose by trying to straightening it. Me personally, I'd do it in place. I'd wedge a chisel between the mounting bracket and shifter (as low as possible) and grab hold of the top of the shifter, put my foot against the bracket and pull. It's only 3/8" flat steel so it will bend easily. Care to ask me how I know?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Get "friend" drunk. Place "friend's" front teeth over lever. Grab "friend's" scalp and pull hard until the lever is straight or you're satisfied that he's sorry.

Just kidding, of course. I don't condone any violence that can be traced back to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Repair bent shift peg

I had the same exact issue happen to me only I was the operator, not a "friend". The bike went out from under me and the peg was a casualty. I just used a good ole pipe wrench and got it back in shape!:p:p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, you guys are funny.

Well, it certainly wasn't too far bent to bend back. I did end up taking it off and straightening it in a vice. It bent back straight with no problems.

Many thanks to you all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts