Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never tried it myself but one of my buddies got very low on gas in a rural town with no premium available. :(:(

The bike does NOT like regular unlead!!! Runs like crap and gets very hot..

The difference in price isn't enough to even think about. Just have to make sure you plan your stops where the good stuff is available... :):)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Fuel

I have tried regular with no real affects. I don't think I got as good gas mileage. Riding cross country at higher speeds mileage did drop by about 20 miles per tank. That may have been the alcohol content. When I bought my Stratoliner in 06 my owners manual said to use regular. Guess they changed their mind very soon.

I have always used premium, even before I found out I was supposed to. Most of the time I buy three and a half gallons of fuel. At twenty cents per gallon difference I don't think seventy cents a fill up is even a consideration.

I understand the engine runs cooler on premium, I get part of the money back on mileage. If it is 20 miles per tank I get it all back. I believe the cooler thing is why Yamaha decided to make the call. I believe the reason is premium burns slower. Not sure if I get any more performance or not, the bike has so much power I can't tell. I also do not know how much the computer is able to adjust for it. I would believe some.

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gas

Thanks for the info. I must have gotten on to the wrong section because I have a 2003 V-star 1100.
Is Premium still the right octane?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
regular

Gordo,

Yamaha recommends regular for the 1100 V Star. I hear people swear premium burns cooler and cleaner. I hear some say the opposite. That since premium burns slower it burns dirtier. I do not buy the later. But, you have little to gain with premium because the bike has no computer and oxygen sensor. It can not adapt to fuel changes. It may run a little cooler, so there did I confuse you? Not a big issue for you I think.

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Regular Vs Premium

Thanks Dave, I have also heard the controversy over this subject of whether octane matters. From what I see, it’s only a matter of whether your engine pings or not.
If it pings, you need to go to a higher octane. High compression engine need higher octane gas to keep them from pinging. If it don’t ping don’t use premium gas.
That’s for cars. I wasn’t sure if it held true for Bikes.
Back in the day (way back), I use to use Sunoco 106 octane when drag racing my 305 Honda.
I think it made a difference.
G.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I will do a little test and see if i can tell any difference between the two.
Let you know what I find out.
G.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Premium vs Regular

As a general rule, if your engine in designed for regular unleaded fuel then that is what you should use. You get ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT using premium and in the long run it will increase the carbon deposits in your combustion chamber.

The Stratoliner and Roadliner was designed to use 91 Premium fuel. I suspect you can use regular once in a while but if you make a habit of it you'll eventually reaped the reward of poor performance and possible engine damage from pre-ignition.

·
Registered
396 Posts
there is no more or less power made by the fuel. this has been known for a long time to drag racers. 9.5:1 compression is what decides the octane, it is the detonation that is controlled. there is no more thermal expansion between regular vs premium. the difference in power is due to the detonation (ping/Knock) from the regular octane. if you have detonation you are not using the full potential made by the combustion process. higher octane stops this so you see more power due to proper burn. higher compression gives higher power output but requires the higher octane to control ping. thats why a 350 small block chevy can make 500+ HP with 13:1 compression but must run 108 octane to stay alive. knock/ping with hammer your engine to death, burn holes in pistons and so on. if you have to use regular, drive easy to reduce the chances of detonation. your chances of detonation go up with higher loads applied (more throttle) when passing, racing or driving up inclines. i had to use regular on our way to Sturgis this year and it was fine, just drove easy. dont recommend it for daily driving though, just emergencies. it's better than pushing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts