Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just bought a 02 1100 V-Star. Couple of things: The previous owner put 17K Miles on it and used AMSOIL in it for 16K miles. He changed the oil and filter every 3 K Miles. I'm having problems finding AMSOIL (SP?) oil. Mobil 1 is much easier to find and buy. Will Mobil 1 cause clutch problems? I know the owner’s manual states no "fuel conserving" oil is to be used. Is anyone using Mobil 1 or any other Synthetic Oil or oil blend? It’s my first time using synthetic oil in a bike with a wet clutch. Also is there a grease fitting for the swing arm bushings? If not, does the disassembly of the swing arm need any special tools? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,
Just bought a 02 1100 V-Star. Couple of things: The previous owner put 17K Miles on it and used AMSOIL in it for 16K miles. He changed the oil and filter every 3 K Miles. I'm having problems finding AMSOIL (SP?) oil. Mobil 1 is much easier to find and buy. Will Mobil 1 cause clutch problems? I know the owner’s manual states no "fuel conserving" oil is to be used. Is anyone using Mobil 1 or any other Synthetic Oil or oil blend? It’s my first time using synthetic oil in a bike with a wet clutch. Also is there a grease fitting for the swing arm bushings? If not, does the disassembly of the swing arm need any special tools? Thanks
synthetics may cause slipping and glazing on an aggressive ride [unsettling] in the corners. Most bushings are sealed ..Your local yama dealer-service makes a good hang out. Ride hard and fast stay safe.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hello,
10W40, 15W50 or 20W50 oils are not Energy Conserving oils. If you want to make sure look at the label on the back of the oil bottle. If the bottom half of the API SERVICE circle does not state "ENERGY CONSERVING", then you should be able to use Mobil 1 oil. I used Mobil 1, 15W50 in my Suzuki C50 for 2 years and had good results with it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll just keep the AMSOIL in my bike. The AMSOIL for motorcycles are safe for wet clutches
Amsoil is great oil no doubt about it but cost too much in my opinion and isn't any better than any other synthetic oil at doing the job that their suppose to do. Just remember that any oil that is not identified as ENERGY CONSERVING is ok to use in a wet clutch appilcation due to the fact that they don't have FRICTION MODIFIERS, those modifiers are the chemicals that cause clutch slippage. I, like you prefer synthetic oil because they do perform and protect better than conventional oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amsoil is great oil no doubt about it but cost too much in my opinion and isn't any better than any other synthetic oil at doing the job that their suppose to do.

I, like you prefer synthetic oil because they do perform and protect better than conventional oil.
I agree wholeheartedly. Bought my 1100 2 yrs ago from a friend who'd only put 10,000 miles on it. I put Mobile 1's 20W 50 in mine since we run in such hot temps here in the panhandle. In two years time I've never had any slippage issues and it purs wonderfully. Er, well, rumbles actually. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts