Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
When I was 16 or 17 I bought a '68 Kawasaki Avenger off a classmate. I have a stock photo of that bike in my garage. 350 twin, two stroke, oil injection, rotary shift. It was a pretty hot bike in its day and was a ton of fun until winter rolled around. I was living in the next town over from where I went to school and worked. I was a daily rider back then.

·
Registered
746 Posts
See now that we have had this up for a couple pages , most of us learned on a 250 or below. We dumped it in the dirt ,we had fun, we beat it to death, but we really learned HOW to ride a motorcycle.... Where did it start that a V Star 650 is a starter bike? People need to go back to beating up smaller bikes on the dirt to learn, then go out on the street.
Before my first bike, I rode on my cousins little baby honda, a cushman eagle, and there was an italian bike sold by Wards or Sears for awhile that a friend owned and we rode the hell out of it. Around 100cc or so.

I stopped riding for 40 years or so then got the bug again. No way at my age I'd hit the trails on a little bike. Falling off for any reason whatsoever is not part of the program anymore.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I road a few clutchless mini bikes that I don't really count. First road bike was a hand me down from my father. He bought a new Suzuki GT750 (Water Buffalo) in 1971. In 1973 he had orders (Army) to Germany and was going to be gone for three years. I had the Suzuki for that three year span. The side car came off the day I got it. Had a blast on that bike. Picture is actually bike with nephews on it.

View attachment 91647
Nice squareback!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine was a late 60's / early 70's red and white Yamaha 60 my dad brought home for me when I was 8. As others have said, I too rode the wheels off of it, can't imagine how much gas I probably burned through. My older brothers had Honda Trail 90's, hind site 20/20, should have kept them, all would be worth some money now.

Good times and good memories. That first bike was probably part of the factor of going the Grizzly 700 when I bought my big 4-wheeler years ago and then when I bought the V Star.

Not my actual bike but pretty much it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I built my first "motorcycle" from my sisters old 24" Schwinn and the 1 1/4 hp Clinton off the old lawn mower. It would go 35 mph and I rode the snot out of it for about a year.
Then I moved up to a real motorcycle, a 1961 250 Honda Hawk. I payed $75 for it and it was boxes, wheels and a frame. Had it together in 2 days. Put a lot of miles on that old Honda!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts