Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,

Last question (I hope), before I buy this bike and get it home and start looking at customizations and add-ons. The Bike I will probably go for is ~1K miles away from home and it'll be almost all highway getting home. I'm thinking that I can do about 500 mile blocks and book a hotel half way so I can rest up and not have to drive in the dark. Is that too ambitious for a first ride on the Deluxe/Tour bike? Is has the stock seats so I'm worried about "numb bum" but planned fuel stop about every 150miles and a 15 minute walk around should let me stretch things out.

Is this reasonable or am I being ambitious? Should I say 400 miles for a goal, 300 for a goal, Etc. Just never had a tour bike and the longest journey I've ever done was about 300 miles on a CB750 and I do remember the "numb bum" and some leg soreness holding them into the bike instead of letting the splay out into the wind stream.

As always, my thanks for any help and comments

Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
I think that is totally reasonable. 500 miles about 80mph about 6hrs. About 3 or 4 stops for gas and food.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
When I bought mine I did 480 straight , stopping for gas and lunch.
We go 320 miles 2 up and not be tired.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
To all,

Last question (I hope), before I buy this bike and get it home and start looking at customizations and add-ons. The Bike I will probably go for is ~1K miles away from home and it'll be almost all highway getting home. I'm thinking that I can do about 500 mile blocks and book a hotel half way so I can rest up and not have to drive in the dark. Is that too ambitious for a first ride on the Deluxe/Tour bike? Is has the stock seats so I'm worried about "numb bum" but planned fuel stop about every 150miles and a 15 minute walk around should let me stretch things out.

Is this reasonable or am I being ambitious? Should I say 400 miles for a goal, 300 for a goal, Etc. Just never had a tour bike and the longest journey I've ever done was about 300 miles on a CB750 and I do remember the "numb bum" and some leg soreness holding them into the bike instead of letting the splay out into the wind stream.

Bob
I don't know, never ridden that far before but if you're worried about numb bum get yourself a good seat cushion.

best motorcycle seat cushion - Google Search

Reactions: Strat man

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Plan for a 300 mile a day ride and if you get more in, you are ahead of the game and you feel better knowing that you did better than your set goal.
Also plan for bad weather, traffic and anything else that could slow you down from getting miles in. Riding highway miles you get a lot of wind fatigue.
If the bike doesn’t have cruise control get a wrist rest/crampbuster, mentioned get a seat cushion and drink plenty of water.
Get a cup holder and get a good size thermos that fits the cup holder.
Take Advil

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra (totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 (current)
14,158 Posts
All good suggestions. Another thing to think about is sun exposure. If you work outside everyday, no issue. If not, the sun and wind can do a job on the body, keep hydrated and use sunscreen. I ride quite a lot and do several 600 mile trips to my son's. It wears me out pretty good. I like the idea suggested of 300 miles a day, enjoy it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To all,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll shoot for 300+ and settle for "ok, that's enough" when I hit a point. Luckily, I have a wife that I can call on the phone and just say "I'm about to reach X town, find me a hotel and book a room please". Ordered a seat cushion and will take it with me for the ride home. For my first ride on this big a bike, and also the first one on one I've just purchased, I'd rather take it slow and enjoy the road and have a good memory of it, versus "oh it was hades on that bike and I'm already building bad memories".

Thank you all, love all the help people here are willing to give.

Bob

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Carry you a soft side cooler with gel packs, you can refreeze them at the hotel. Carry sodas or lemonade and Pedialyte. You will dehydrated faster than you think if this is your first long ride. Then you can stop at rest areas or under a bridge for a quick drink. I also carry beef jerky and granola bars.

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
238 Posts
To all,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll shoot for 300+ and settle for "ok, that's enough" when I hit a point. Luckily, I have a wife that I can call on the phone and just say "I'm about to reach X town, find me a hotel and book a room please". Ordered a seat cushion and will take it with me for the ride home. For my first ride on this big a bike, and also the first one on one I've just purchased, I'd rather take it slow and enjoy the road and have a good memory of it, versus "oh it was hades on that bike and I'm already building bad memories".

Thank you all, love all the help people here are willing to give.

Bob
Plan on 100 mile fuel stops get to know your bike I ride one 100 miles is good 125 and your pushing or walking depends on outside temperature and evaporation of your gas tank 100 miles your good..and enjoy your new bike
Be safe in your travels my friend..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plan on 100 mile fuel stops get to know your bike I ride one 100 miles is good 125 and your pushing or walking depends on outside temperature and evaporation of your gas tank 100 miles your good..and enjoy your new bike
Be safe in your travels my friend..
Strat man,

Thanks, unless flights get cancelled I'll be picking it up Thursday morning right above Chicago and should be on the road back to NC by noon. I'll plan on stopping every 100 miles for gas and a walk around and then back on the road. Going to take it slow and easy and just stop when I feel tired or just plain overwhelmed with the ride. Hope to make it back by Friday evening but not going to push it. It's almost 900 miles in travel distance so not going to be stupid.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
238 Posts
Strat man,

Thanks, unless flights get cancelled I'll be picking it up Thursday morning right above Chicago and should be on the road back to NC by noon. I'll plan on stopping every 100 miles for gas and a walk around and then back on the road. Going to take it slow and easy and just stop when I feel tired or just plain overwhelmed with the ride. Hope to make it back by Friday evening but not going to push it. It's almost 900 miles in travel distance so not going to be stupid.

Bob
If can wait until after 7pm you will roll through it all the way down to Indianapolis then thew the city take bypass around indy better road I drove that route for 15 years ..good luck and be safe in your travels..

·
Registered
428 Posts
To all,

Bob
Last month I took my Stratoliner S from Dayton Ohio to Des Moines Iowa, non stop. 620 miles. Same for the return trip. Now, I stop twice for each tank of gas - I smoke. On the way up, my backside was really unhappy after about 500 miles but, I pushed through. Didn't seem quite so bad on the way back, even though that was 17 days later.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To all,

She's home and a more detailed post to follow. Total distance/time was ~1K miles/~17 hours (spent a night in a hotel to break it up but I didn't sleep a wink), and more tanks of gas than I want to count (range anxiety, I filled up when she hit 50%). She's a beautiful beast but I need to go back and take the MSF, I found low speed handling a truly scary thing (me more than the bike). Going into my local shop for a few things I want checked out and fixed but so far I love her. To tired to do a long post, but so far on the freeway she's almost unbelievable in how much power she has (but, up to fourth gear she has a beautiful growl, but when you hit 65-75 all you hear is "gulp-gulp-gulp" as she decides to drink it down).

I'd like to thank you all for all of your suggestions, comments and help. Your suggestions and help made the experience as pleasant as anyone could have asked for. Note: Pictures to follow

Bob

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
You ain't seen nothing yet , take it over 110 Mph for a cruiser it is amazing at that speed, the wife and I were cruising down the interstate and got stuck in a pack of 18 wheelers, she yells get us out of this , when we got a good distance away from them I looked down and we were doing 115 Mph, it really didn't feel like we were doing that much over 80 mph.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jlewis50,

In hindsight I should have done so. She's much bigger than the V-Star 950 I ride now and her slow speed handling is completely different. On the freeway, she's a joy to drive. However, taking those winding roads (<25 MPH) google maps put me on with practically a u-turn every 1/4 mile and getting on and off the freeway with those loop back decreasing radius exits and entrances were some pucker moments.

However, she's now home and re-arranging the garage to handle both bikes along with the cars. As I said, I intend to take the MSF course and keep the Stratoliner in the parking lots for awhile until I can safely handle her at low speeds. It was stupid and I freely admit it. Best I can do is never make the same mistake again and learn from this one.

Still have to right up the full story and it's coming :)

Bob

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Jlewis50,

In hindsight I should have done so. She's much bigger than the V-Star 950 I ride now and her slow speed handling is completely different. On the freeway, she's a joy to drive. However, taking those winding roads (<25 MPH) google maps put me on with practically a u-turn every 1/4 mile and getting on and off the freeway with those loop back decreasing radius exits and entrances were some pucker moments.

However, she's now home and re-arranging the garage to handle both bikes along with the cars. As I said, I intend to take the MSF course and keep the Stratoliner in the parking lots for awhile until I can safely handle her at low speeds. It was stupid and I freely admit it. Best I can do is never make the same mistake again and learn from this one.

Still have to right up the full story and it's coming :)

Bob
Heck when I bought my 950 last month I thought I was crazy, that bike looks huge and I had problems with it at low speeds. I then took it to a clear parking lot and started practicing low speed maneuvers and now I'm much more comfortable with it. I did drop it three times but with the highway bars and highway pegs it didn't go over that far and I was able to pick it up relatively easily with no descernable damage to it or me.
What's funny is my legs are too short to reach the highway pegs and was considering removing them until they acted like a stop when I dropped the bike. Kept the bike from rolling all the way over.

• Haha
Reactions: Jspree
1 - 20 of 29 Posts