Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used windex on my windshield a couple of times.
But then I heard someone say that's not good to do,
will hurt some kind of coating on there I guess.
Any suggestions from you experienced folks?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Windsield cleaning

Taboo,

See this question often and lots of opinions. Guess I'll give you mine.

The risks are scratching the windshield or using something that attackes it. No big news there.

I have read Amonia or Windex will turn the plastic gray over time. I have also heard this about rain-X. I have seen dissagree about the Rain-X. Guess I would not take the chance.

Dust or a cloth not ment for the job will scratch the windshield. For example polyester or nylon are definatly no good, Wiping off the windlshield dry is no good. The dust will scratch. I see some say they rinse the windshield with plain water to get the dust off and wipe dry with a micro cloth. Sounds like a good plan.

Before the days of Micro cloth I kept a can of Lemon Pledge in the bags and a plain cotton cloth. I did this for ten years on a 1980 Honda with a Windjammer. It worked well, no scratches, no discoloration. Got the tip from a buddy with an airplane. Guess they used it there.

Now I keep a can of Yamaha Spray Cleaner / Detailer in the bags and a micro cloth. Cotton is fine. In the case of the polishes the cleaners and polish lubricate and keep it from scratching. There is no problem with discoloration. I can stop on the road and clean the bugs off with no problem. My four year old and 42,000 mile windshield has no scratches, but one from a bump.

Dave

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've always been one to use nothing but warm water and my bare hand. I recently tried PLEXUS that I found at my dealer. So far the w/s has never looked better, no scratches. I use PLEXUS and a microfibre clothe that is just for my w/s. Only time will tell if this is a good idea or not, but for now it seems to be great and it is specifically a plastic cleaner/sealer. I actually use it to detail my whole bike

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
They both sound like good ideas.
I also heard from a buddy of mine
He says he just hangs a damp towel over
the w/s at night, and the next morning the bugs
and guts wipe right off.
No more windex.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
A little bit ago, one of the guys posted that he kept a sloppy wet microfiber in a baggy and a dry one in another and used that to clean and then dry. I tried that approach and it has worked well for me so far. No scratches and does a good job.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Dryer sheets work better thin any thing i have found. Yes that is right dryer sheets. And they smell good to. I keep a fue in a ziplock bag all the time. Very little water is need, sometimes the sweat from a coke is all you need. Wipe it on and bugs come right off, let it dry to a haze,
wipe it off with a cloth. Real cheap too and you will be amazed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish.

I keep one rag that has the polish on it for cleaning, and one that is clean for finishing.

It is the first thing I bought when I got my RoadLiner this spring. Been using it forever.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use "PLEXUS and a microfibre cloth" as well - does a great job. Plexus was developed for palstic type windows

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use nothing but a wet rag and then a soft cloth like a tee shirt to dry it..No scratches ever on it..I was my lights the same way...easy

·
Registered
2 Posts
windshield cleaner

I have a Vstar 100 classic silverado. I bought the bike new in 2005. On the windshield you do Not want to use any abrasive cleaner (windex). I use Plexus and it does a great Job.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
windex has ammonia in it - ammonia attacks polycarbonate

one comment on bugs - those commiting suicide on what will be the morning of a scorcher of a day will be converted into rock hardness by the time you get home. For that, lay a soaking wet soapy (dishwashing soap) rag over the entire w/s for 20-30 minutes.

then go to cleaning it as usual. This reduces your tendency to want to jab at them with your thumbnail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts