Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so my front tire needs replacement already (its only got a few thousand miles on it), but only the left half is worn down. I don't understand it, the same thing happened last time with the front. Whats going on? Am I riding improperly and not sensing it or is it the grain of the roads...?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Stay off the race track. It looks like possible a low pressure problem or a slipped belt.But I think if it was a slipped belt you would get a wobble or a vibration of some sort.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Inside your tire you have woven steel belts with rubber all around them and sometimes the layers of belts will shift inside. Basically coming apart..But like I said it usually comes with a wobble or vibration. What air pressure do you run and how often do you check you pressure?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That's a dunlop isn't it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, I was noticing a shimmy at about 55 to 65 mph and I got my new tire about 2 weeks ago and the shimmy is gone, I took it as a slipped belt, other things to check also is a weak fork spring or even possible your fork fluid being low on that one side. But alot of times a muffler bearing will cause havik on a bike as well:D

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I don't see anything wrong other than you went way beyond the wear indicators. What I do see is, is that I'm not the only one that loves the left hand sweepers. :cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah it is a dunlop, and I ride at 33/36, I check it at least twice a week (again I commute daily on this bike so I take it pretty seriously). It just seems like its worn down waay too quickly, but maybe I'm mistaken....I put so many miles on her that its hard to keep track of all the new parts and services.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Only a few thousand miles and you have no tread left? Has to be something going on there...I always get around 15k on my front and I change it sooner than it need to be. Do you have a brake hanging up, or maybe bad axle/wheel bearing? Maybe the extra rolling resistance is causing premature wear. Does it want to pull to one side? Maybe a bad fork seal is the culprit if you have to "hold" it straight.

Or, as Philo Beddoe tells his chimp: "Right turn, Clyde" :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as far as the forks, they seem to compress and rebound with no problem, and I haven't spotted any oil leakage. How can I test for the brake hanging up, and the wheel/bearings issue?

Also while we're on the subject, does anyone recommend a certain brand of tires? I've gone with dunlop before just because that was the dealer recommendation

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I just looked back at my post and although I thought I edited it, I guess it didn't go thru.

What I wanted to add is to never get armorall or any similar juice on your treads. It can cause the rubber to become too soft and breakdown very easy. It's okay to use armorall on the sidewalls but don't get any on the tread. Armorall on the tread can make your tire look like that real quick.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Gator on your next tire run more tire pressure.Run on the high side of the specs or even 2 to 3lbs more.I looked on the dunlop site last night and most of the front cruiser tires ran at 41psi. I know mines a strat but I followed the Yamaha specs and it wore out in no time.I've been running the tire manufacture specs and it's wearing great so far.If you a big guy or ride 2 up you will need more psi. No different than hauling a heavy load in your truck.Tires need to be a little harder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My tire is the same way, wearing out faster on the left side. I have it at about 32 psi, no extra cargo and I only weigh 140. As I'm the third owner I don''t know when the tire was last changed but the bike has 18k miles on it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 13 of 13 Posts