Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been riding for 6 years now.

Whats more dangerous?

Riding a MC, or a rolled up carpet in a dark room?
My broken toe says... carpet! cant ride for 3 weeks.

Riding or Pneumonia?
Pneumonia put me in the hospital for a day 3 years ago. If I had not gone to the hospital I would have died (blood pressure dropping, pulse racing, severe dehydration).
MC... never.

Riding or a gall bladder attack?
Gall bladder sent me to the ER on Easter Sunday after dinner 2 years ago,
MC... never.

From my personal experience riding for 6 years, personal injuries and risk of death has come from other things.

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
Umm...you raise an interesting question. When I had my gall bladder out I couldn’t ride for six weeks because it burst. When I got bit by a brown recluse spider on my left calf, I couldn’t ride for four weeks, so I feel you! I feel safer riding in and around my farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
Umm...you raise an interesting question. When I had my gall bladder out I couldn’t ride for six weeks because it burst. When I got bit by a brown recluse spider on my left calf, I couldn’t ride for four weeks, so I feel you! I feel safer riding in and around my farm.

I meant I feel safer riding than working in and around my farm. I love living in the country but it has its challenges.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ or the person who moved the rolled up carpet from one room to another.... :^O

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well you know if you would have had your gear on you would not have broke your toe....something to think about...or since you are going to be laid up for a few weeks you might want to install some motion sensor lights and some steel toed slippers....all in good fun...please do not take serious...:smile:

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
^ not ready to ditch the gall bladder

the Easter Sunday attack was the first time it was really bad, and did not know what it was - before that it was minor discomfort, like a gassy stomach

now that I know what it is (not an exploding appendix or anything dangerous) and I know what things set it off, I can deal with it, and mostly Ive been able to avoid it.

For me taking a walk usually works the bile thru the duct and the pressure is gone. I have noticed that when it releases all at once it can make you nauseated. But I know what that is too and can get thru it.

The gall bladder does have a purpose, if you eat fatty food and your gall bladder has been removed, you will get diarrhea. I understand for some people the organ gets so bad it has to come out, but if it can be managed then its not that bad.

The last time it acted up I ate one of those $2 bags of M&Ms while out riding all day. About 10PM that night I was reminded why those bags are for sharing...

I guess I should mention, Im not in that bad of shape with my new broken toe. Dr gave me an official Neil Armstrong Moon Sandal to keep my toes flat when I walk, and to leave historic footprints everywhere I go.

I think I can get my riding boot on, its my right foot, so I can brake gently, and plant my foot on the heal... I cant imagine not riding for a whole 3 weeks... we'll see how it goes. If it was my left foot I dont think I would be able to upshift.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mine came out at 27 yrs. Stone city! Used to roll around on the floor in pain. Nurse told me she would rather give birth again rather than have another gall bladder attack. Can’t speak to that, but mine were bad. Bathroom after-effects were never a big deal for me...body adapted quickly after removal.

Sorry your toe is jacked. I recommend holding onto the toe at least on a temporary basis and jettisoning the wretched slime sack yesterday. It’s sorta like the appendix—largely expendable—except it contains pure liver-distilled Satan liquor. Bad for ya!

BTW, I stayed in a holiday inn express last night and, yes, I am a Doctor of Bile Organs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cliffief: to quote you "Mine came out at 27 yrs. Stone city! Used to roll around on the floor in pain. Nurse told me she would rather give birth again rather than have another gall bladder attack. Can’t speak to that, but mine were bad. Bathroom after-effects were never a big deal for me...body adapted quickly after removal."

EXACT same for me at about 62 yrs old. I finally found someone that went thru the same hell as I did. I was living on anacids and has the dumbest doctor on the planet. Diagnosed it myself over the internet. Wish I had it cut out 25 years earlier.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gall bladder problems are something most people are not aware off.

after the doctor at the ER explained to me what was going on and what causes it, I googled it, found people who had problems for years and went thru terrible pain day after day until they were properly diagnosed.

So here is the short version: the gall bladder releases a substance that is necessary to digest fat. When you eat fatty foods (chocolate, cream, cheeses, bacon...) the gall bladder says Hey! lets go - and starts pumping out the bile stuff that it creates. The tiny little tube that connects it to your digestive system can become blocked, and if its pumping out a lot it swells and becomes painful.

It feels like a stomach ache, or intestine problems, but throwing up or using the bathroom does not clear it out. It can feel like a burst appendix. Like I said, taking a walk or maybe running can move things around to get the little tube to flow thru, and then you are fine.

If the gall bladder gets something like slush or like kidney stones in it, I think it has to come out.

So... the people who had problems for years and suffered, didnt know it was triggered by the food they were eating, so they kept eating it and making it worse.

And if you have it removed, and keep eating fatty foods, you are going to have digestive issues. Maybe there is something you can take when you eat fatty foods if it has been removed - but normal stuff for an upset stomach is not going to help at all.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Gall bladder problems are something most people are not aware off.

after the doctor at the ER explained to me what was going on and what causes it, I googled it, found people who had problems for years and went thru terrible pain day after day until they were properly diagnosed.

So here is the short version: the gall bladder releases a substance that is necessary to digest fat. When you eat fatty foods (chocolate, cream, cheeses, bacon...) the gall bladder says Hey! lets go - and starts pumping out the bile stuff that it creates. The tiny little tube that connects it to your digestive system can become blocked, and if its pumping out a lot it swells and becomes painful.

It feels like a stomach ache, or intestine problems, but throwing up or using the bathroom does not clear it out. It can feel like a burst appendix. Like I said, taking a walk or maybe running can move things around to get the little tube to flow thru, and then you are fine.

If the gall bladder gets something like slush or like kidney stones in it, I think it has to come out.

So... the people who had problems for years and suffered, didnt know it was triggered by the food they were eating, so they kept eating it and making it worse.

And if you have it removed, and keep eating fatty foods, you are going to have digestive issues. Maybe there is something you can take when you eat fatty foods if it has been removed - but normal stuff for an upset stomach is not going to help at all.
That is way more information than i needed or wanted to know. Maybe some day if i have problems i will thank you but not yet.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah it got a bit derailed

its weird that people know the signs of heart attacks and strokes and appendix failures...

but like me a lot of people are blindsided when they have what I experienced. I felt stupid for going to the ER on Easter Sunday and coughing up a $500 co-pay, thinking my appendix or something had burst. When the doctor explained it, something I never heard of before. Some people suffer thru it for years, even after seeing a doctor, and they dont know whats wrong.

Do we have a public service announcement section on the website? :^)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Life is dangerous!
Whether you are a kid growing up in a war torn country. Riding a motorcycle. A conservative living in a very liberal city. Or bending over to pick up a pencil and you thrown out your back.
I think the trick is to find what you enjoy & do it in the safest manner possible. (at least what you consider safe.)

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Life is dangerous!
Whether you are a kid growing up in a war torn country. Riding a motorcycle. A conservative living in a very liberal city. Or bending over to pick up a pencil and you thrown out your back.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
Accidentally spilling your beer............

1 - 20 of 36 Posts