Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

What's the coldest temperature you have ridden in?

• 0 - 5 degrees Fahrenheit

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 6 - 10 degrees Fahrenheit

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 11 - 15 degrees Fahrenheit

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 16 - 20 degrees Fahrenheit

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 21 - 25 degrees Fahrenheit

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 26 - 30 degrees Fahrenheit

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • 31- 35 degrees Fahrenheit

• 36 - 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With winter slowly leaving us and some good riding weather just around the corner here is a quick question.

What is the coldest temperature you have ridden in. Not just down the driveway and back. Let's say at least a 30 mile ride or 30 minutes. The coldest I've ridden in was this year at 16 degrees Fahrenheit on my 45 minute commute. How about you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
30 miles round trip to work. 23 degrees 2 weeks ago and wasn't feeling 100% but decided to do it anyway. By the time I got home I was chilled to the bone and could not get warm although I was wearing a lot of warm winter gear.
The next day, I had a sore throat, congestion and a real bad cold.
Haven't ridden since and want to fully recover before I try it again. If it is sunny and 35 degrees out, I will go for it.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The worst ride this winter was last week. It was 40 and raining. I was bundled up like the 16 degree day with rain suit on this time. Don't know if it was the humidity or what but felt very much colder. I don't like the cold or rain, mix the two and it's one miserable ride to me. Road_slug, hope you finally warmed up and feeling better.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The worst ride this winter was last week. It was 40 and raining. I was bundled up like the 16 degree day with rain suit on this time. Don't know if it was the humidity or what but felt very much colder. I don't like the cold or rain, mix the two and it's one miserable ride to me. Road_slug, hope you finally warmed up and feeling better.
Yep between the rain, cold and dampness then add some direct wind, you are going to be cold.
Yeah I had the chills that night and knew I was getting sick. It has been 8 days and finally feeling human again. The first 5 days sucked and slept like crap. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've gone riding in 1c weather the issue was not going it was coming home. -5c (27f) . The one thing I find help is I always wear my full face in the cold ( less than 10c ). Above 10c I only wear my beanie but sometimes use a face mask.

Mark

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used to ride my GSX1100 to work in the winter in NJ (the year I didn't have a car). Temps averaged around 28 -30 degrees most days in the early mornings (not counting wind chill factor).

I would put on long johns and two pairs of jeans. A shirt and then a sweatshirt under my jacket and scarf covering my chin and nose. I remember getting to work and having trouble getting my knees to bend as I tried to get off the bike.

I didn't have any purpose-made "cycle gear" in those days, just a 3/4 helmet and a leather jacket.

Now I live in FL.

·
Registered
909 Posts
In the late 80s my main bike was a KZ750 E3 which I rode year round to work from 'The Cape' to Boston (70 miles one way) and IIRC (and my head isn't FOS) temps would reach down into the single digits (Fahrenheit). There's a guy I'd see who also commuted long distance and just the hopes of seeing his bike, which I lusted after, made the ride easier... he had the original Suzuki Katana (designed by Target Design of Germany)... stylistically ground breaking even almost ten years after it went into production and far prettier than the later models wearing the Katana badge.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I'm not the only one who has had a brain freeze moment when it comes to riding on insanely cold days. But I made that decision years ago when I became a daily commuter, wouldn't change it for anything. Got to have some bad to enjoy the good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You didn't get a low enough temperature. I'd just got back from Korea in 87, my only transportation was my 883 Sportster over there, but I didn't have to ride far. I was stationed at Ft. Riley KS. I went out to start my car early, but it wouldn't turn over, the oil was too thick. I was 40 miles from the fort, my 883 was parked on the porch and sheltered from the the cold. The temperature was -20 Fahrenheit. I got to work on time, with frostbite on my right foot. On the way home I stopped by the parts store and buy a oil heater dipstick and stuck it in the engine. As a side note, when I got home one of my pipes had burst, and I had about 1/2 an acre of lake in my backyard.

Doc

·
Registered
386 Posts
You didn't get a low enough temperature. I'd just got back from Korea in 87, my only transportation was my 883 Sportster over there, but I didn't have to ride far. I was stationed at Ft. Riley KS. I went out to start my car early, but it wouldn't turn over, the oil was too thick. I was 40 miles from the fort, my 883 was parked on the porch and sheltered from the the cold. The temperature was -20 Fahrenheit. I got to work on time, with frostbite on my right foot. On the way home I stopped by the parts store and buy a oil heater dipstick and stuck it in the engine. As a side note, when I got home one of my pipes had burst, and I had about 1/2 an acre of lake in my backyard.

Doc
I think that is the coldest by far. What is it with wind chill as your riding? 200 below zero?!
No wonder your foot froze!

·
Registered
15 Posts
There's been a couple days in the mid-high 40's that I wanted to get out and try out my new bike for the first time. Both times I've been stuck doing some work crap and was getting dark out already by the time I could have went for a short ride. Being I'm a rookie, the roads although not frozen still have sand/salt around on them and that it was starting to get dark I thought I better just be patient and keep waiting.

It feels like time is going so slowly waiting for spring and now their talking about 6-8 inches of snow overnight. :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Getting out when it's below 60 and no one else is riding seems odd besides the fact of lessor traction. My bike stumbles below that, the air temp sensor or something, EFI searches for the right mix I guess. Gotta strafe a few "sites" to taunt the HD fair weather set, gonna be in the mid 50's Tuesday. Gotta scrape the glaze off the new front tire first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was a few yes back it was bout 15 % when I went to work had frost on my leather and foreman felt sorry for me and told me to get in his truck to warm up before work time and if course they think I'm crazy for riding in that kind of wheather

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
a couple winters back i was doing some work at this warehouse for a couple weeks. the temp was hovering around freezing each morning but i still rode my bike in nearly every day. during the 2nd week, the other guys that worked there started placing bets on whether or not i would show up on my bike or in my car. the first morning they did that the temp was in the high 20s when i arrived on my bike to find the group standing on the sidewalk in front. one guy told me i just cost him lunch when he told me what was going on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts