Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says; What is the coldest temperature you will ride in? For me it is in the upper 30's but only if I'm going to work and back home which is about a 50 mile round trip. Guess I'm wondering if anyone else is as crazy as I am. :grin:

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
On the January 19, 2019 I left Houston and is was 32 degrees, rode 300 miles to just this side of Abilene and was 22 degrees when I got there. So six hours of sub freezing temperatures. I did ride back two days later, got up to 40.

When I left Houston:

When I got there:

Does that make me crazy?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Heck when I was in my teens and twenties I really didn't care what temp was. It could be 20 degrees out and I would be riding my Honda XL250 or be out running around woods and fields on my ATV. In my thirties it had to be in the 30's for me to ride. now that I am in my fifties I will ride when it is in mid 40's but I really don't enjoy it till it hits the mid 50's

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
On the January 19, 2019 I left Houston and is was 32 degrees, rode 300 miles to just this side of Abilene and was 22 degrees when I got there. So six hours of sub freezing temperatures. I did ride back two days later, got up to 40.

When I left Houston:

When I got there:

Does that make me crazy?
Maybe not “crazy” per se there Les, but DEFINITELY not right in the head to be sure! 😁
38 is about as low as I go. It can be 10 degrees cooler in shaded areas and I don’t like riding when the possibility of ice exists.
Long Haul Paul has COMPLETELY different ideas in what is “rideable” conditions and what is not.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
40F, unless its a really short ride

1. even with all my gear and windshield on, 40F is tolerable for half an hour

2. where I live if its 40F now it could be 30 in two hours with ice or snow. Not worth the risk to squeeze in one or two more rides a year, when Im putting 5000 miles on my bikes / year, and riding almost every day from march to november when its not raining.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I look for my app to say it’s at least 45. That’s a bit cold and I enjoy it more in the 50’s but I want to ride so bad I do it anyway. Layer up and tough it out. 50’s this weekend so I’ll put in some miles.

·
Registered
909 Posts
We've had a cold spell here in Louisville Kentucky with temps in the single digits in the a.m. and warming up into the teens by the afternoon and my XVS650 fires right up and gets me to work and back home. What an awesome bike this 650 V-Star is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I was stationed at Ft. Riley, KS in the winter of 87, the temp got down to -20, my car was on the north side of the house and the engine was too cold to turn over. My 883 Harley was kept on the porch and out of the weather, so it naturally, fired right away. I lived 42 miles away from the base, and it had snowed the day before. That Harley was my only transportation when I got it in Korea, but I only lived about 4 or 5 miles from the 121st Evac Hospital in Yong San, where it would frequently bottom out in the -30 or better area. On the way home from the 16th MASH, I did think about getting an oil dipstick heater for the car, so I wouldn't have a repeat performance the next day. That was one of those weeks where the high never got above -10.
To add insult to injury I got home to a ruptured pipe under the house and about a half an acre lake in my back yard, which required a plumber to come over and play.

Doc

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice to know I'm not the only one who would ride in colder weather. I used to think people who did were crazy. Then I bought my first bike last year and...well...I get it. I can suck it up for a while just to get a few miles under the belt. If I had a heated suit I would probably ride every day, weather permitting.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We ride no matter the temp honestly, only the rain or if we froze the night before will we stay in.

With that being said; it's our first Winter riding and yet to have real gear and failed at almost everything we've bought as we still freeze our butts off.

Being in Texas really isn't the greatest gift at times, we left last Sunday at 67° on a trip only to come back home at 34° on the back leg. I was still freezing the following morning lol

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Well, I was hoping it would be a bit warmer before heading out for 560 miles, but it’s time to go and it’s only 34 degrees!
I’m layered up like an onion... heated riding gear sounds good right about now. 😉

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
We ride no matter the temp honestly, only the rain or if we froze the night before will we stay in.

With that being said; it's our first Winter riding and yet to have real gear and failed at almost everything we've bought as we still freeze our butts off.

Being in Texas really isn't the greatest gift at times, we left last Sunday at 67° on a trip only to come back home at 34° on the back leg. I was still freezing the following morning lol
I feel your pain! I’m gonna be passing by your area Saturday around 11am on my way to Louisville, Tennessee.
Wanna join up? Give me a call. Yes I can answer while riding! 😁.
989-333-5920

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I've ridden in the mid 20s a bunch of times but not more than 7 or 8 miles. If I'm prepared I will go for a couple of hours in the mid 30s.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm more inhibited by things like rain/sleet/snow or fresh salt on the road. My daily commute is only about 10 miles on surface streets so, I've ridden in at 16° F. I did have heated grips put on my 01 V-Star 650 Classic back in October, though so, that helps. Also, my old 80's leather bomber jacket wasn't cutting it. It has a liner and faux fur collar but, the liner didn't go down the arms. I picked up an Alpinestars Andes v2 Drystar in early December. Oddly, my legs have never really suffered, even at 16° - and that's just wearing my khakis.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Riding in the cold and foul weather sets up an odd situation.

In my garage I have my two motorcycles, and a ford fusion we purchased new a few years ago, that my wife drives for casual use, and we take on long family road trips.

I had to scrap out the saturn Vue I purchased new in 2004, because the frame rusted out. That left us in the situation, if I drive the ford to work my wife is stuck with no car for the day...

After looking around for about a month, I found this:

2007 Corolla LE manual 5 speed, just under 110k miles, for $2900, from the previous owner.

I ride my motorbikes to work whenever I can, within reason: not getting soaked on the way to work, and not riding in the snow... otherwise Im good down to 40F, windshield on the bike with two layers of windbreaker and textile jacket and pants, split leather gloves, full face helmet, neck cover.

When it was time to scrap the Vue after 15 years I had the chance to get any car I wanted, since I would mostly be driving it alone, and mostly on rainy/snowy days. I would really like to have a Subaru BRZ, or a Toyota MR2 Spyder.. but that creates the weird situation: I would mostly be driving my fun car when its raining or snowing - esp weird for a convertible.

Even more weird, when I ride my motorcycle to work, my son could drive the Corolla that day, since its 12 years old and only has 110k miles on it, I will most likely not be able to wear out the drive train before the car rusts away (like my Vue did). So that puts my son in the even more weird position, if he wants to baby his car, he could drive the toyota on nice days, and then when the weather is bad he would have to drive his car, because I would have the Corolla.

Having a motorcycle really has screwy ripple effects.

For the record, If I did get a BRZ or MR2 Spyder, when the weather is nice, and I have my choice of driving the car, or taking Ursa the She Bear... I cant imagine not riding the Royal Star.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Winter funk. Seriously depressed. Might hit 50° in March but the roads will be full of salt and sand. Might have to wait until April unless we get more snow dumps. Not amused.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
A few years ago I bought a new bike in February. Dying to drive it, I put on my snowmobile suit and drove about 20 miles on dry roads. Wasn't much different than snowmobiling.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A few years ago I bought a new bike in February. Dying to drive it, I put on my snowmobile suit and drove about 20 miles on dry roads. Wasn't much different than snowmobiling.
That's how I look at it. I'm originally from upstate NY but live in NC now. As long as the roads are dry and the wind isn't too bad I'll just put my layers on and ride. Not much different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts