Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Upgrades....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...you made to your bike since you've had it?

For me it was the batwing fairing. By far the best upgrade
over the OEM windscreen. The factory piece was okay
but I had no idea what I was missing. Plus it weighs less than 2 pounds so
no noticeable weight gain or negative effects. :cool:(y)

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts
I've always liked aggressive exhaust. I've changed exhaust on every bike or car I've owned. It's normally the first mod I do.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
709 Posts
07 VSTAR 1300. Notorious for surging at low speed and running very lean.

*Installed the JacksO2 mod that tricks the O2 sensor into 'telling' the bike to add a little more fuel to the mix at low speed. (Cut the surging a lot)
*Drilled out the rear baffle in the exhaust.
*Drilled the airbox and use a K&N foam filter.
*Installed a Cobra FMS.
*Batwing faring. Wind noise was destroying what little hearing I have left, even with ear plugs. Now...I won't ride without a faring shield ever again.

The FMS took awhile to dial in, but no more surging, the bike runs a tad more rich, I get 42 - 48 mpg, depending on how I'm riding, or if we are two up.

Want to get a Cobra exhaust put on the thing but that will wait while I change the fork oil (maybe springs as well), change the belt, replace the rear wheel bearings, replace the rear shock...etc, etc.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,489 Posts
Suspension. Completely changed the character and performance of the bike. You could triple the power, and you'd still have no chance to keep up on a winding road if you had to keep the stock suspension. The Pirelli tires are also much sportier than the stock Bridgestones in profile. Cannot say anything about grip as the tires the bike came with were 19 years old and cannot be judged in that respect, but the profile differences are massive.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always liked aggressive exhaust. I've changed exhaust on every bike or car I've owned. It's normally the first mod I do.
I'd say that's a close 2nd for me. In fact I wasn't going to change the factory exhaust as I was happy with I but came across such a good deal on the Freedom's I had to make the jump!
No regrets!

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
I don't do mods. But the storage containment devices that I keep in the saddlebags are great.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Factory seats are always terrible, plus I have to have my cup holder. Here on the Gulf Coast you better have a way to carry a drink you can get to at stops and going down the hiway. You will dry out quickly ( well most years , this year you could drown on the interstate)

Reactions: Keith Post
1 - 9 of 9 Posts