Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front Dunlop, stock tire.

While cleaning bugs off my bike, I noticed an arrow on my front tire that say's "Rotation".

The arrow is pointing backwards from the way the tire is mounted! (Pointing to the rear of the bike instead of the front.)

Looking at the tire treads, it seems that if it were mounted "correctly", it would force the water into the center of the tire, as opposed to letting the water out.

Any opinion on what's going on?

Does Dunlop know which way their tire should be mounted?

Manufacturing defect? :confused:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be mounted with arrow pointing forward.
That's what I thought. but if it were mounted that way, the rain water would be forced to the center
of the tire.

The bike goes in the shop this week for it's 1st oil change and check.

Can't wait to hear the story the tech will tell. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Farmalldanzil is correct, my Dunlops have the arrow as well and they're both pointing forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
The arrow should not (actually CAN NOT) be pointing forward

the arrow should be pointing in the direction that the tire rotates when the bike is moving forward.

IF the arrow is presently on the bottom of the wheel (where you parked it) it will be pointing backwards.

IF the arrow is presently at the top of the wheel then it will be pointing forward....

This is obvious to most people, but some people have trouble thinking/seeing in 3 dimensions.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The arrow should not (actually CAN NOT) be pointing forward

the arrow should be pointing in the direction that the tire rotates when the bike is moving forward.

IF the arrow is presently on the bottom of the wheel (where you parked it) it will be pointing backwards.

IF the arrow is presently at the top of the wheel then it will be pointing forward....

This is obvious to most people, but some people have trouble thinking/seeing in 3 dimensions.
Good thought. It's at 2 o'clock, pointing backwards.
If it were on the bottom, it would point forwards.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I just looked at the tires on my VS650. They are the OEM spec'd Bridgestones.

The tires are designed to be front and rear specific, but the tread pattern 'points' in the same direction for both wheels.

There may be tires with the tread pattern going in opposite directions for front and rear tires, but I dont know why that would be?

Maybe because the front is only used for braking and the rear is for both braking and acceleration?

I would think the water shedding property of the tread would be in one direction, and would be the same for both tires.

to answer the original post question: your tire is on backwards.

Unless you ride in the rain frequently, I would not worry about it, and I (personally) would not pay someone $70 to take the tire off and turn it around.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just looked at the tires on my VS650. They are the OEM spec'd Bridgestones.

The tires are designed to be front and rear specific, but the tread pattern 'points' in the same direction for both wheels.

There may be tires with the tread pattern going in opposite directions for front and rear tires, but I dont know why that would be?

Maybe because the front is only used for braking and the rear is for both braking and acceleration?

I would think the water shedding property of the tread would be in one direction, and would be the same for both tires.

to answer the original post question: your tire is on backwards.

Unless you ride in the rain frequently, I would not worry about it, and I (personally) would not pay someone $70 to take the tire off and turn it around.
That's the thing. As it's mounted, it would shed water.
If it were turned around & the arrow was pointing in the direction of travel, water would be forced into the center of the tread.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I looked up the tires for my bike VS650 on bike bandit, and I think I see what you are talking about.

both bridgestone and Dunlop 404 tires are shown on this page. http://www.bikebandit.com/2004-yamaha-v-star-classic-650-xvs65as-motorcycle-tires/t11/m145479

Assuming the photos of the tires show them both from the front of the bike, the bridgestone tires have the tread pattern going in the same way. The tread groove pattern itself has an "arrow" quality and they both "point" forwards in the direction of rotation (Im not talking about the arrow on the sidewall).

But the dunlop 404 tires are shown with the tread pattern opposite for the front tire. The pattern is different for the front and rear tires but similar.

Maybe Dunlop thinks that is the way to go.

BTW, I have ridden with both tires on my bike. The Bridgestone tires are heavier and make the bike noticeably more stable (these are the tires they use at the factory).

When I had the Dunlop 404's on the bike i could not ride with my hands off the grips, and the bike was less responsive to steering pressure on the handlebars.

I like the ride much better with the Bridgestone OEM tires. When you turn the bike feels solid and tight.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
If this photo will post I think its a yamaha rendering, showing dunlop on the tires

and if you blow it up and look at the treads in the tire, the front are the opposite from the rear. Like its backwards.

Im going to have to google MC tires and why and how the tread pattern channels the water.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bike went into the shop today for the initial oil change/go through, and "Goodies" install.
Pointed out the problem with the tire, they were very apologetic.

They will fix the problem, at no cost to me. (Of course)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts