Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite aftermarket feature on your bike ? Did you add it ?

I get more use out of my speaker system however I would say my Kuryakyn cruise control knob is my favorite added feature.

I decided to go cheap on my 1100 cruise control ( works great though ) thinking I might not like or use it however this time around I wanted a little higher end look and feel - after a 125 mile ride today and a week later I'm pretty happy with it.

What's yours ? Is it aftermarket?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
4,660 Posts
Shock brackets to lower the bike so I can reach the ground. Last two bikes I've had to lower to be more comfortable at stops. Being short can be a bummer at times.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shock brackets to lower the bike so I can reach the ground. Last two bikes I've had to lower to be more comfortable at stops. Being short can be a bummer at times.
I actually thought about those for the Road Star, did you do it yourself or get them done ?

·
4,660 Posts
I actually thought about those for the Road Star, did you do it yourself or get them done ?
It's easy to do it yourself. If you can jack your bike up to get the rear tire off the ground you can easily do it. You don't want to lower it too much as you lose ground clearances and ride quality. From my experience I can go 1 to 1.5 inches without any detrimental effects. Here's an example for the Road Star.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz70363/baron-custom-accessories-rear-lowering-kit-adjustable-solid-mount-2

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's easy to do it yourself. If you can jack your bike up to get the rear tire off the ground you can easily do it. You don't want to lower it too much as you lose ground clearances and ride quality. From my experience I can go 1 to 1.5 inches without any detrimental effects. Here's an example for the Road Star.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz70363/baron-custom-accessories-rear-lowering-kit-adjustable-solid-mount-2

Nice, I will look into these

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s a tough question given the myriad of goodies this bike has. If I limit it to “aftermarket”, I’d have to say my custom seat. It’s the stock seat pan but has been re-done with gel and extra padding. Yes, the original seat heater works fine.

Looks like you could take a nap on that thing. She looks great, like a recliner

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
That’s a tough question given the myriad of goodies this bike has. If I limit it to “aftermarket”, I’d have to say my custom seat. It’s the stock seat pan but has been re-done with gel and extra padding. Yes, the original seat heater works fine.

Looks like you could take a nap on that thing. She looks great, like a recliner
Thank you Sir! She is pretty comfy.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Comfort is king and I would have to say my back rest and after that would be the risers and bars that I have. For convenience it would be the USB charging ports.

·
Registered
247 Posts
With my bike, it has to be the sound system.....love hearing my "Riding mix" while going down the interstate.

T

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
the best improvement to my VS650 was putting a drivers backrest on the bike. Completely changed the feel and sense of security, esp at high speed, knowing I cannot slide off the back of the seat.

At first I bought an aftermarket backrest that had to be mangled a bit with some big wrenches to get the position and angle I wanted. It was a bit flimsy, if I leaned back hard I could bend it down to the fender - maybe that would be a good thing if you get rear ended.

Later I was thinking of buying a vintage Honda Silverwing 500 (the watercooled sidways vtwin). I didnt get one, but I really liked the combined drivers backrest & trunk that replaces the passenger seat. I got the trunk (see garage photos on left side of page) from amazon for about $60. I think its designed for a scooter or moped. I had to fabricate a luggage rack style frame for it, to attach to the fender side rail bolts. Really improved the utility of the 650, both for driver security and comfort, and being able to open and close the trunk in 1 second by pushing the button, instead of playing pony express rider with straps and buckles on leather saddle bags.

The Royal Star feels more secure than the 650 without a drivers backrest, Im not as scrunched up on the bigger bike. I have been working on making just a back rest from stainless steel tubing, and attaching it to the fender bolt holes where the passenger seat use to be. Bending 3/4" tubing takes a lot of planning and practice, first attempt did not quite line up with the fender holes very well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the best improvement to my VS650 was putting a drivers backrest on the bike. Completely changed the feel and sense of security, esp at high speed, knowing I cannot slide off the back of the seat.

At first I bought an aftermarket backrest that had to be mangled a bit with some big wrenches to get the position and angle I wanted. It was a bit flimsy, if I leaned back hard I could bend it down to the fender - maybe that would be a good thing if you get rear ended.

Later I was thinking of buying a vintage Honda Silverwing 500 (the watercooled sidways vtwin). I didnt get one, but I really liked the combined drivers backrest & trunk that replaces the passenger seat. I got the trunk (see garage photos on left side of page) from amazon for about $60. I think its designed for a scooter or moped. I had to fabricate a luggage rack style frame for it, to attach to the fender side rail bolts. Really improved the utility of the 650, both for driver security and comfort, and being able to open and close the trunk in 1 second by pushing the button, instead of playing pony express rider with straps and buckles on leather saddle bags.

The Royal Star feels more secure than the 650 without a drivers backrest, Im not as scrunched up on the bigger bike. I have been working on making just a back rest from stainless steel tubing, and attaching it to the fender bolt holes where the passenger seat use to be. Bending 3/4" tubing takes a lot of planning and practice, first attempt did not quite line up with the fender holes very well.
I've searched for a back rest for my Road Star but the Mustang seat leads me to believe it has to be bent certain ways so I always back out of the actual purchase

·
4,660 Posts
What's interesting about all the replies so far is that they are comfort items. No mention of exhaust, intake mods or other speed enhancement items. In my younger days the only mods were go fast stuff. My how time has changed my perspectives.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
^ LOL Stock Royal Star 130mph is go-fast-enough for me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts