Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha XVS1100a Classic
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Middle of November in Sweden. Still riding. 😎

I normally just continue going out whenever there's no ice on the roads.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,286 Posts
Only give it up if the roads are icy or it is too cold for the bike to start.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,438 Posts
Winter? Please explain this phenomenon. You mean when the days are shorter?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winter? Please explain this phenomenon. You mean when the days are shorter?
🤣
Seriously though, it's this time of the year that I miss living in South Africa.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I plan to take the bike apart when the conditions turn too nasty for more than just a day or two. That usually happens in early December. Prediction is for above average snow and cold this winter.... I have several projects to do on the bike in advance of next season. I'll post them as I dig into them.

@lesblank my only consolation when you post those temps is knowing that in the middle of summer you're sweating your butt off whenever you go outside and we're enjoying perfect 70s-80s with little humidity. :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Winnipeg Manitoba Nov 8th , Had huge blizzard 4 hours to the west but we rode around in sunshine and 20C (68f) usually end of Oct though. Spring around these parts doesn't arrive early. mid April if you're lucky, mid May if you're not. I plan on sending off the Ecu to Ivan's as I have to pull the rear shock out to install a progressive spring because my wife loves riding, stock v-sta 1300 spring rate bottoms too easy and gets sportster like when you really crank up the preload.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I ride here till we get iced bridges or atleast 6 inches of snow..........so , you can say I ride all year........we might get ice on bridges at night , but when the sun comes up it is gone and as for snow , if we get 6 inches I am not driving because no one would know what to do, it has never snowed that much here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ride here till we get iced bridges or atleast 6 inches of snow..........so , you can say I ride all year........we might get ice on bridges at night , but when the sun comes up it is gone and as for snow , if we get 6 inches I am not driving because no one would know what to do, it has never snowed that much here.
Where are you located Jspree?

·
9,438 Posts
Where are you located Jspree?
He's in hurricane alley. 🤣
Located on the sand trap on the third hole, other wise known as Florida. Sorry @Jspree, had to harass you some. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I really can't complain, we had gone 15 years since a major hurricane, just because 2020 gave us 3 this year to catch up was a pain. But it gave them to everyone, 2020 just wanted to spread the love.

Really it is a great place to live, we have beautiful White Sand Beaches, a slow easy life style, no one is ever in a hurry to do anything ( which is a pain when you want something done) , good cost of living , before covid we had festivals or motorcycle rides or free concerts from early spring to late fall.This is an area you don't need to be rich to have a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2009 vstar 950, 2014 Bolt r-spec (R.I.P.)
139 Posts
I've never winterized a bike. From Montana, Idaho and now Utah (the north half, with snow). Even if you cant get out and ride, you can still get out and fire them up. There are always days that you can bundle up and take them for a spin around the block. I'll still commute if the roads are clear and the temp is around 35° F (ish) and no chance of precip. FYI...snomobile gear is cheaper and warmer than cold weather moto gear. Battery powered gloves and a balaclava under the lid make it all possible...and good ol thermal undies.

·
9,438 Posts
But he does hibernate his bike when hurricanes come in.

And I get my generator out.

We all have our challenging weather conditions. But I do think I'm allergic to snow. :unsure:

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
In southern Wisconsin the garage gets turned around snow blowers to the front and mower and bike to the back. Then seafoam goes in and battery on the tender. Probably next weekend. Any day roads are clear and near freezing i will take her out. Last winter i got it out at least once a month first time in 42 years. Usually get garage turned back around by St Patricks day. This time last year we had 13" of snow on the ground. We can get snow up to May. Last weekend i was out smoking meatloaf in shorts. We have had a record 5 days above 70* in November so far. High of 38* today. Its coming.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really can't complain, we had gone 15 years since a major hurricane, just because 2020 gave us 3 this year to catch up was a pain. But it gave them to everyone, 2020 just wanted to spread the love.

Really it is a great place to live, we have beautiful White Sand Beaches, a slow easy life style, no one is ever in a hurry to do anything ( which is a pain when you want something done) , good cost of living , before covid we had festivals or motorcycle rides or free concerts from early spring to late fall.This is an area you don't need to be rich to have a lot of fun.
Sounds like my kind of country! (y)

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
697 Posts
I have ridden through several winters, but I prefer not to ride, since they use a lot of salt on our roads, which is hell on the finish and brakes.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts