Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha XVS1100a Classic
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have ridden through several winters, but I prefer not to ride, since they use a lot of salt on our roads, which is hell on the finish and brakes.
Yes, I try to avoid the salt here too.

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
236 Posts
what do the USA guys pay to licence a bike for a year

im at $6 a day + applicable taxes and service fees, $2300 a year, but we only ride 4 months and get the rest of the money back, thank god

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,532 Posts
what do the USA guys pay to licence a bike for a year

im at $6 a day + applicable taxes and service fees, $2300 a year, but we only ride 4 months and get the rest of the money back, thank god
That's an interesting fact. I get year round for $30. a year.

·
9,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I knew I liked Louisiana's tag prices:
Motorcycle registration: $12.
  • Due every 4 years.
You do pay a percentage of the value of the motorcycle when you transfer the title, I bought my bike for $500 - it's on the bill of sale - but I paid the guy $2000 for the accessories... LoL.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
My registration is $24 a year, insurance is $10 a month

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
236 Posts
and when you buy a new one you pay a pst and a gst (taxes) when you sell your used bike for over $5000 and the buyer goes to register it again they have to pay the pst on it again. insurance company does the old double dip

·
Super Moderator
3,951 Posts
It's $40 a year to license a motorcycle here. Insurance is around $600 (PLPD, fire, and theft - no collision).

They use a lot of salt on the roads around here, starting with the first few inches of snow. Once they salt, unless we get another warm spell and it melts, along with some good rain to wash the salt away, the bike goes away for the long sleep. Even if the roads are clear in the winter, snow melting off the banks washes over the road and makes a real mess of things. Not worth it.

·
Registered
2009 vstar 950, 2014 Bolt r-spec (R.I.P.)
141 Posts
Utah is greedy...state fee $61.50 and a county fee of $53.00... $114.50 for a year for my old Bolt. I shelled out for all the insurance and I'm glad i did this summer. Poor Bolt. Not sure how much the vstar950 will run me, but I'm guessing around the same.

·
9,532 Posts
I know a few of us, well at least @Jspree and I, harass y'all about having to put your bike into hibernation. Please remember it's all in fun. At times it's easy for me to not remember that I'm blessed to be able to ride year round. The other thing I'm learning is owning a bike down here is a lot cheaper than a lot of places. With all that said, keep that cold stuff up there!!!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I did that winter/snow thing growing up. When I found out you can have a life without snow I grabbed it.
I know I harass all of you in snow country, everyone has to find where they want to live , mine just happens to be in the land of ----__----wait for it---- __-----NO SNOW

·
9,532 Posts
I did that winter/snow thing growing up. When I found out you can have a life without snow I grabbed it.
I know I harass all of you in snow country, everyone has to find where they want to live , mine just happens to be in the land of ----__----wait for it---- __-----NO SNOW
But you kept your insulation after you moved to a warmer climate. 🤭 😉
Just saying.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
They only charge us $11 a year because we can only ride 3 weeks a year, i heard they charge snowmobiles $7000 a year because they can ride 53 weeks a year.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
They only charge us $11 a year because we can only ride 3 weeks a year, i heard they charge snowmobiles $7000 a year because they can ride 53 weeks a year.
Snowmobiles are real expensive here to operate, you have to hire a couple guys with a snow machine to drive ahead of you. And you better be real quick, have to catch that snow before it melts. 🍧 🍧 🍧 🍧

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
714 Posts
We have road tax plus insurance that are mandatory. To insurance, you can add half or full comp. Road tax is the same for all bikes at about usd200 per year. Insurance range from about usd 40 to a lot more if you are young, ride a race rep and live in an area with more than average amount of accidents.

I have a 75 pst discount plus low rates due to age, and pay about usd 140 for a year of full çomp on the V Star 650 and Deauville 650, and about 3 times that for the CBF1000. I can hand in the plates at any time and pay zero road tax and either no or reduced insurance - paying no insurance means it will not be covered towards fire or theft.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,316 Posts
Truth be told, I make a couple of new friends every January first. I find a "Polar" ride on line that is close by and go there to be with other folks who want to ride on the first day of the year as long as the roads are clear. It is always exciting and one tool I always check before going is my medical kit. It seems I use some part of it every New Years Day. That doesn't mean someone crashes every time, sometimes it is a cut while showing off something on their bike, or one time a guy got a tooth pick sized splinter in the web between his index and middle finger while at our lunch stop.

Some of these guys and gals bring their bikes out of hibernation just for the Polar ride and then back to rest till spring, and others are like me who ride year round. No matter, one or two bikers each year will become a riding buddy for me.

Online here is sort of a 'safe' space for me as I catch a good amount of crap from co-workers each winter for continuing to ride. Kind of the opposite type of ribbing we give folks who store their bikes of the cold months. For seven years now, I can predict exactly what my deputy director will say to me. He will walk down the hallway after coming in just to say "I don't know whether to think of you as one tough biker or question your decision making processes". Then again, he is one who quite riding ten years ago because it is too dangerous around the Northern Virginia area to ride.

Three co-workers belong to the same MC but didn't ride in the cold or rain. They don't ride to work at all anymore. I guess they have gotten old or something. Another co-worker is an active duty Sargent who told me for two years that he has a 2002 Sportster that he loves with just over 1,200 miles on it. It took me those two years to finally get him to ride it to work. He has swapped out the original tires finally and has put on 800 new miles in the last five months. But now the bike is going back into deep sleep for the potentially cold season we may have.

My bottom line thought is we all have a tolerance for weather and for time in the saddle. And that is fine by me. I can take some crap and any I give is in good humor knowing I do not make any rules at all. Ride to your hearts content my friends, and I will too. 😎 ✌🏍

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
In Vermont I pay $48/yr for registration. Insurance is liability only at $75/yr with Allstate. One of the nice things about Allstate (and maybe other insurers but it's been years since I checked) is they'll credit me for the months the bike is "put up" eg. I'm not riding.

Now if we're going for total cost of owning a bike, I'd have to add in the new tools, bike lift, lubricants, and other misc things I've purchased/paid for including a membership here! :)

21 - 40 of 64 Posts