Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 VStar 1100. I run Amsoil. I have heard conflicting reports. I am ready to park it for the winter. Should I change the oil now or wait till spring? I live in NW PA and pull it out and let it run for a half hour or so during the non-riding season about every two weeks. It is on the battery tender the rest of the time. Stored in an unheated garage. I usually change every spring, and it doesn't get more than 4K miles per year. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Its going to be your call i would not worry about it until spring. Sometimes cold starts during the winter months tend to get a little gas in the oil just depending on how long it takes to fire off. Why waste new oil.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Had a look at the OWNER'S MANUAL and it has a word or two on STORAGE both short & long term but not a word on oil :eek:. It also has a lot of other thing to do, that I never seam to do :eek:. I have had Yamaha's for the last 27yr's and this is my first Owner's manual it seams I have been doing it wrong all my life.:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
You wan't fresh oil sitting in there while they sleep! (forgot what the exact reason for that was though?)
I seem to remember that acids build up in the oil and you don't want your motor sitting around with acids in it.

I just had the oil changed in my VW for that reason after a one year interval between changes but only 2K miles on the car. The mechanic was astounded at the clean oil that came out. I got the feeling he though it was unnecessary - so much for following the manuals service intervals. Won't do that again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When it comes to winter storage, on both my boat and motorhome, I've always changed the oil late fall.
You wan't fresh oil sitting in there while they sleep! (forgot what the exact reason for that was though?)
I do the same. The exact reason is you don't want the acids from combustion sitting in the oil over the storage period. Change the oil and filter and put her to sleep. Wake her in the Spring and have at it. :D

:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I seem to remember that acids build up in the oil and you don't want your motor sitting around with acids in it.

I just had the oil changed in my VW for that reason after a one year interval between changes but only 2K miles on the car. The mechanic was astounded at the clean oil that came out. I got the feeling he though it was unnecessary - so much for following the manuals service intervals. Won't do that again.
You did the right thing regardless of what you mechanic thought.

·
Administrator
13,283 Posts
It also has a lot of other thing to do, that I never seam to do :eek:. I have had Yamaha's for the last 27yr's and this is my first Owner's manual it seams I have been doing it wrong all my life.:D
what do you do when your bikes explode from not following the owner's manual?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I was thinking of changing my oil befor storing it for the winter,
but now I'm not so sure. I've only put 1400 miles on since it was last changed. And I've heard a few people say not to bother, wait till spring to change it. Some of these people have had their bikes for years and never seem to have a problem from it so.....?
I'd like to see what a few more of you say befor I make a final decision.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
what do you do when your bikes explode from not following the owner's manual?
I have never had that happen. But if it does I will post it.:D Well off the top of my head I guess I would walk.:eek:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nobody is wrong... me, I have been riding since I was 15, I am now 52, okay wise guys, no I didn't ride with Moses! I live in a cold winter climate and have had all kind of bikes and sizes, I change my oil in the spring and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nobody is wrong... me, I have been riding since I was 15, I am now 52, okay wise guys, no I didn't ride with Moses! I live in a cold winter climate and have had all kind of bikes and sizes, I change my oil in the spring and have never had a problem.
Just a question. Why change the oil in the Spring after the contaminated oil sits in the crankcase all winter long possibly doing damage from the acids? Why not change it when you put it in storage so it sits with non contaminated fresh oil during the winter and it's all ready to go in the Spring?

·
Registered
77 Posts
No Problem, I have the opposite belief... No way would I ride all summer with oil that sat in my crankcase all winter. Furthermore in my case I really don't store my bike, it's in the garage and I start it up every other week (at least) and take it for a quick spin always shutting the fuel off and letting it run out of gas before I'm done.
As soon as April hits, I change oil, adjust valves, sync carbs and what ever else needs to be done.

All and all you need to consider that the folks on this forum for the most part are pretty anal about their bikes (I mean that as a compliment) and how they care for them. Talking about acids contamination is a mind screw a bit of an over-kill.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Oils job

Is to clean,cool,seal and lubricate, Just think if we tried to talk about the rest of what is in OIL like detergents,dispersant-additives ,viscosity-additives,anti-scuff/friction modifiers and corrosion inhibitors(which is what gives out in oil) Mileage just happens to be the best indicator for the time to change your oil, not the time of year. The good thing is modern oils can go longer then the MANUAL will indicate. On a forum you will get only half-a-fact:D But that is ok:eek:
Now just think:rolleyes: If you are at the bottom of the miles, change it, if at the top of the miles leave it. Or is that the top then the bottom:confused:
O-well ether way YOU WONT NOW A DIFFERENCE. Just do what makes you sleep a night.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have done it both ways, my oldest bike is 28 years old and goin strong, so who knows? Far be it from me to call that one:) At this point in life Ol Sugar Bear knows that if you listen long enough, you will hear anything;) Ride safe.(Dan makes good logic)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I change my oil by mileage, not by time or season. I also believe the practice of starting the engine "to charge the battery" is a bad idea. From aviation comes "If you start it, fly it." Unless you plan to actually ride far enough to get things warm (say, ten miles minimum) you are better off not even starting it. Otherwise you end up with water condensation in the oil and the exhaust system.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree with Charon on starting (actually not starting). I put all of my bikes on battery tenders and let them sleep till the weather comes around again.
I do change the oil/filter before parking them for the winter. My street bikes tend to sit for 5 months out of the year so I feel better with clean oil in them. My garage is heated but still want to make sure they sleep well :)
I know some people will then dump the "storage" oil in the spring and refill with fresh. I sometimes do that but I'm sure that's way over the top.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am still riding mine, had two fun rides yesterday and today, a little cold in the morning, but warmed toward mid morning, rode yesterday morning, about 35-40. I changed before winter last year but this winter, with not many miles on the oil, i plan to leave and go on rides in the winter on dry days. I rode for a couple hours several times during the winter last year, seemed to help. enjoy and ride safe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fresh oil prior to winterizing is best. I lived in Maine a couple of years, and all the "Maine-iac" riders up there agreed it was best to change oil, filter, drain carbs if not FI, fill the tank, put stabilizer in it, and tuck her in. You already have the battery tender.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts