Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at about 25k on my 950 and I'm wondering what if anything should I be paying attention to? I see a lot of posts on valve work. Should I be doing this? Bike runs great as far as I'm concerned and I'd like it to stay that way....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
417 Posts
My dealer told me that valve adjustments were one of the critical services for V Stars. I don't know what the interval for the 950 but my manual for the 1300 indicates a valve adjustment is due at 16k mile intervals. Valve adjustment isn't difficult but it obviously has to be done correctly. It is something I will likely leave up to a MC mechanic that regularly does valve adjustments.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Depends how you ride, a ton. Far be it from me to suggest anything, I will say do what makes you feel good and comphy. I got over 40k on my 1100, the valves have never been touched, we are runnin fine.:D
Just sayin, if you ain't been around bikes much, by all means go by the book, you can't go wrong there.
Have fun with your bike:)

·
Registered
960 Posts
My dealer told me that valve adjustments were one of the critical services for V Stars. I don't know what the interval for the 950 but my manual for the 1300 indicates a valve adjustment is due at 16k mile intervals. Valve adjustment isn't difficult but it obviously has to be done correctly. It is something I will likely leave up to a MC mechanic that regularly does valve adjustments.
IMO, "valve adjustments" are the biggest money maker for a dealer! Charge you a few hours labor, and how do you know it was even touched let alone in or out of spec?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Valve adjustment is a 30 minute job. 950/650/1100/1300 Etc, similar setup for each...Except the 950 and 1300 have twice as many valves, lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm more than familiar with my bike and I'm Sure I can do it. I was just curious what everyone thought or did as I often find that" the book" isn't always necessary. I try not to always run to a shop....she's running better than the day I bought her so I think i'll research and do one afternoon.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
252 Posts
Are there any step by step instructions on how to do this?

thanks,
Delkster

1 - 8 of 8 Posts