Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Well, I replaced the rear brake pads on my 2006 Strotoliner S after about 24,000 miles(put sintered brakes on). I'm still running the OEM pads on the front and currently have a little over 34,000 miles. Anyone out there with a ball park figure of when I should be changing the front? Its a little difficult to see the pad thickness without removing the wheel.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Brake pads

Hilleja,

Its tough, I have trouble also. But, if you get a flash light, lay down on the floor, or kneel and look at the edge of the pads. There is a grove cut in them, look at that grove. Last time I looked I had plenty left in front after nearly 40,000 miles. I replaced the rear ones around 32,000 miles. Probably means we don't use the front enough?

I saw a example either in the owners manual or the shop manual as to how much should be left. Can't remember but its like 25%. Look around.

Dave

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I usually remove the mount bolts and slide them back enough to look for the center groove in the pad. If its gone I change them.

·
Registered
882 Posts
FWIW;

17,500 miles and I had to replace rear rotor. Front has about 80% on original pads left. And I consider myself very front brake heavy rider.

I also go through tires, front and rear, at about 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
821 Posts
When ya hear metal grinding metal, that's a good indication that you should change the pads.:p jk

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I checked my brakes front and rear around th 10,000 mile mark,both had even wear.From what I can remember they had 4 to 5mm remaining.You should be using your front brake more than the back.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Stunt driving

that ain't right. what are you doing to your tires?
its all the burnouts and the quick stop so he does the reverse wheelie(stoppie) that will wear those tires down.

·
Registered
882 Posts
that ain't right. what are you doing to your tires?
A lot of two up. I'm 260, she's 130. Usually carrying a few pounds of stuff in the bags and tour pak. We like to '**** 'n git' so, we are hard on them. Lotta folks seem to only get about 4,000 or so, so, I guess our extra weight and we do ride pretty hard.

I check air pressure regularly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Brake pad wear is somewhat similar to tire wear...........it all depends on the type of riding, road/traffic conditions, etc. I take a look at the brake pads when I change the tires............it is pretty easy to remove the calipers and take an real close look at the pads/wear and make your decision...................that said, most manufacturers sell decent OEM brake pads along with the aftermarket such as EBC, Braking, etc.

If you think your pads are almost worn out, replace them, clean the pistons, bleed/run some new brake fluid through the system, and go ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.