Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you leave it in first gear and hold the clutch in?
Or do you put it in neutral while you wait?

I personally keep it in first gear and hold the clutch in.

Just wondering what others do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
1st gear, clutch in, pulse brake light, stay back a bit from car in front, watch rear mirrors and check potential exit path to right or left, if rear vehicle isnt stopping

·
Registered
146 Posts

If it's heavy traffic in an urban environment, I'll put it into neutral to reduce forearm pump.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just as vstar23 and FS puts it. It all depends on traffic volume. I safely come to a smooth stop and watch out for the cars around me, especially the one coming to stop behind my bike and me. If it's a long light, I then ease into neutral and wait to start up again when the light changes green. Always keeping situational awareness and reacting to my best interest of course.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts

Accepting for a moment the false premise that anyone actually stops at a red light, I keep it in first with an eye on the mirrors just waiting for the screech of brakes behind me...:(

·
Registered
626 Posts
I keep it in first reving at about 4 grand just waiting to feather the clutch for the perfect launch.....don't want to hold up traffic you know :D LMAO
The above advice works good to.

·
Registered
239 Posts
1st gear, clutch in, pulse brake light, stay back a bit from car in front, watch rear mirrors and check potential exit path to right or left, if rear vehicle isnt stopping
What he said. That's what you are taught in the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course).

:)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yeah, had to do an MSF trainin thing a lifetime ago to ride on the base, not so sure they got the idea of the real world:eek: Not to say it is bad, only that real everyday riding may not match up with what they say is reality :eek:Just a comment:D Ride Safe:cool:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
1st gear brake light on eyes and ears open

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Details of my incident are;
One way stop sign with a secondary road joining at a "Y" intersection. It's on my daily commute home from work. No stop in the opposite direction (going to work).

Stopping at the white line, the line of sight to check traffic comming from my right is angled behind. Stopped behind me is an SUV and she's on her cell. I had to roll forward a few feet to get an unobstructed view of traffic approaching from the right. I had to stop again for a fast moving pick-up.

CRUNCH

Her excuse, "I thought we both could have gotten ahead of the truck." She was looking to the right, assuming I was gone, and gunned it. Pushed me several feet out into the intersection. Destroyed my tail light and rear fender but was able to ride it home. Only injury was a scrape on my left ankle from hitting my foot peg and shifter as I was half sitting half running while being pushed from behind keeping me upright.

That was several years ago. Today, this very same intersection has been reconfigured and now the secondary road has the stop sign, now I don't have to stop there on my way to or on the way home from work.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Only injury was a scrape on my left ankle from hitting my foot peg and shifter as I was half sitting half running while being pushed from behind keeping me upright.
Extremely glad you lived to tell the tale.:)

And with my usual propensity to come away from even the worst experience with something positive, look at it this way: It's probably the fastest that blue bike ever moved...:D:D:D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Short red: 1st gear w/ brake
Long red: neutral
Long or short red with airheaded teenage girl behind me yammering away on cell-phone: neutral, engine off, gas off, kickstand down, handlebars locked, walk to tree for a whiz, come back in a few minutes to see if she's even noticed.......

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Extremely glad you lived to tell the tale.:)

And with my usual propensity to come away from even the worst experience with something positive, look at it this way: It's probably the fastest that blue bike ever moved...:D:D:D
It was several years ago. Oh, and that bike, it was RED. So, as usual, you are half right. LOL!

And the SUV, black, figures. LOL!

Blue bikes:

Thanks Farmalldanzil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey V-Star,

I'm a brand-new member here, but I think you may have SAVED MY LIFE today!
I am a new (very new) rider, and I am paranoid about having good riding habits and "looking out for the other guy".
I read your "potential exit path" comment 2 days ago, and since it only makes sense, I took it to heart.
This morning, as i was stopping for a school bus on a busy 2-lane divided highway, I stopped far enough behind the bus to give me the "exit path" you mentioned.
As I was just coming to the stop, I heard tires locked up and in my mirrors saw a stupid, phone-texting high-school bimbo coming up behind me in a cloud of tire smoke WAY TOO FAST to stop before hitting me.
I quickly squirted off to the right shoulder of the road just as she slid past where I was sitting and hit the back of the bus.
Probably did a couple thousand dollars damage to the car (a crapped-out old Honda Civic, no damage to the bus...great bumpers!)
If I was closer to the back of the bus, I definitely would not have been able to get out of the way, and she would have hit me for sure.

Thanks bud, have a cold one on me...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts