Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/04/10/fl-car-rams-motorcycle-orig-vstan-bdk.cnn

is it worth it? is it worth it to act out on your anger and agitate the driver of the 3,000+ pound vehicle? this biker has a 1-year old kid. to think he could have orphaned his son due to the consequences of him losing his temper and inciting the other driver. doesn't matter if you are right and they are wrong. what matters is being safe. and knowing that you're not the only emotional being on the road and not everyone is as level-headed as they should be. so what that car cut you off. so what they are following too close. so what they brake checked you. or flipped you off. or honked at you. or did anything else that caused you to think they have a lesson to learn and you're the one to teach it. JUST GET AWAY FROM THEM. there is plenty of road for you to not have to be near them. because when you put your pride or ego ahead of your safety, things like this happen. and you may not be as lucky as this guy was to talk away from it.

i just urge everyone out there to please be level-headed while riding this season. i hope we all have significant others, children, parents, siblings, friends, and other relatives who would sure be upset if something happened to us and it could have been avoided if we had simply decided to change speed, switch lanes, or even gotten off that road to get away from whatever dangerous fool had angered us. so the next time some idiot causes the anger sharks to start swimming in your head while riding, just remember GOOOOOOOOSFRABAAAAAAAAHHHHH.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Was taking my family on a 2 week vacation to the outer banks many years ago: Dodge 250 van pulling a Coleman Camper. Just 3 miles out from my home crossed a 4 lane road and pulled into a gas station to tank up the Dodge.

I heard a car go flying down the street and didn't think much about it. Just as we were getting back in the van there were police cars and ambulances everywhere.

Found out later some guy from the next town over had just murdered his wife, got in his car, and went flying down that street at 90mph, swerving and trying to hit another big vehicle head on, to kill himself. Several cars went off the road to get out of his way. The guy lost it on a curve and hit a tree and died.

When you see someone driving like an idiot that is all you need to know. You don't know what is going on with that person, who is in their trunk... You already know they are an idiot. I have no desire to engage a person like that, for any reason.

There are 7 billion + people on the Earth. I do not have the time to fix them all.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Crazy stuff like this is always in the back of my mind. This is also why I legally carry a pistol with me, especially on a bike. It is the exact same principal as a condom back in the day, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
i'm glad i got my ccp's 30 years ago it's becoming impossible to get them in some states now

·
Registered
909 Posts
From my experience it never ends well when you lose your head or give a road rager what they want, a confrontation. IMO getting into a heated argument is a waste of time and energy because you're not going to beat sense into the head of an idiot. But I do use sports cams to capture an incident if I decide to take legal action and need proof of what transpired.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Can't watch the video, but I doubt I'd be very shocked. CNN. May they all come back as camels of syphlitic arabs.

And another pox on the drivers who intentionally or otherwise cause havoc on our roads.

I need to get that carry permit this year. I've been saying that for a decade.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I may have been lucky my entire life, and maybe its partly due to where I live and other random factors that were not the result of my own actions, but after 60 years I have never been in a situation where I have needed to kill another person to protect myself or someone else.

After 2001 I was an active sailor, and I carried my sailing knife in my pocket all the time, which I could open with one hand (which is what you need on a sail boat to free yourself if you are tangled in ropes), and to some degree I could have used it to defend myself, or attack someone to protect someone else. It was also useful for things like cutting seatbelts at an accident, opening packages, cutting food in a restaurant when they give you those crappy plastic knives... So I was not carrying it around for 20 years for the sole purpose that someday I might have to kill someone with it.

I could easily obtain a CC permit. I was an expert marksman with a 45 in the Coast Guard. I would have to reach the point where I felt it was necessary to have a weapon for the sole purpose of killing another person. So far I have not come to that point, and I think if I was going in that direction I would rather move somewhere else (the Earth is larger than the human mind can really grasp).

Im not posting this to be judgmental of anyone that carries a gun. We all have our personal understanding of the realities of our world. I have always been able to deal with other people, in conflicts and confrontations, without the need to resort to violence. I have insurance on all the things that would be expensive to replace, so I have no need to protect anything by force - Yamaha will be more than happy to build me a new motorcycle, if someone wants mine so much they are willing to steal it, Im not going to stop them.

One of the moments of clarity in my life happened when I was 19. I enlisted in the Coast Guard, and was on my first trip on an plane. The jet just happened to fly over the house where I had lived for my entire life. We were already a mile in the air, and looking down the entire neighborhood was smaller than my thumbnail on the window. 99% of everything I had ever done, all the people I interacted with, were in that tiny little place, then I looked up and could see 100 miles in all directions.

The world really is more vast than we can comprehend.

·
Registered
186 Posts
KCW, I understand your point completely, but do you think one of the insane random gunmen would? I'm not trying to start anything here, it is just sadly the world we live in today. No matter where you go.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Blueblitz - that is one of the issues with no clear solution - there is no logical way to deal with insanity, you cannot reason with a person that is out of their mind.

that is the no-win situation

·
Registered
909 Posts
KCW, I understand your point completely, but do you think one of the insane random gunmen would? I'm not trying to start anything here, it is just sadly the world we live in today. No matter where you go.
Is it really the world we live in today? I don't feel threatened anymore now than I did when living in even larger cities and worse neighborhoods 30 years ago. Sure I'll CC when I'm out running at night when there are more sketch people on the street or when I'm out in the wild but normally, no. I feel that I'm cautious but not fearful.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the world is what you make it. i don't see how carrying a firearm will help a situation where another vehicle is doing something dangerous around you while out riding. your steering and throttle decisions will get you out of a sticky spot on a bike a lot better than a gun.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I have been trying to remember all the people that I have known personally that have been in a violent situation.

I had a friend that was whacked over the head from behind and knocked out as he was walking home from the bank after cashing his paycheck. Woke up on someones lawn and his wallet was gone. That was in the late 1960s.

A co-worker was robbed at gunpoint in the city where I live about 5 years ago. Gave the guy his wallet and he ran off.

Someone walked into the credit union branch I always used on payday, with a jacket that said ATF and robbed them with ten customers standing in line. Two customers tried to run out the door, he shot and killed one, and wounded the other. I was not there that day because I had jury duty.

My aunt's niece (2nd cousin?) was one of the people killed in the Vegas concert shooting. I dont think I ever met her, but she was family.

Thats all I can think of, out of all the people that I have ever known in the last 60 years. Could any of those people have tried to fight back or defend themselves? That is a difficult question.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have my CCW and carry quit often (95% of the time). Especially when riding. The reason is several-fold.

1- It makes me feel more comfortable.
2- Makes me WAY more aware of my surroundings.
3- It helps me keep my "Irish temper" in check. (i.e. I will do everything to not have to pull & use it.)
4- I like to be prepared. (Will anything occur? Not very likely. I have been in situation where I needed a tool & did not have it. Made for a very unhappy Scrumdown.)

I also carry a pocket knife.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think the subject is getting off-topic. it's not about the merits of firearms in general. it's about what decisions you make while operating your motorcycle in turmoil with other motorists. unless someone wants to debate waving around a gun while going 50mph down the road?

·
Registered
936 Posts
i think the subject is getting off-topic. it's not about the merits of firearms in general. it's about what decisions you make while operating your motorcycle in turmoil with other motorists. unless someone wants to debate waving around a gun while going 50mph down the road?
Would that not be a case of road-rage?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Blueblitz - that is one of the issues with no clear solution - there is no logical way to deal with insanity, you cannot reason with a person that is out of their mind.

that is the no-win situation
If armed, you can take them out if they are a threat. If not armed, you are at that persons mercy. I will take armed. Not for fear, but for protection for me and my family. I have heard it stated best this way, "you are a gun nut until the apocalypse, then you are a hero". I am a three percenter, always will be.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have found, from talking to people, that those who are armed (conceal carry) tend to be more level-headed and less apt to road-rage or other acts of violence. I think that is because very few people want to kill another human being. Way too much paperwork involved. ;)

Yes, I yell a lot at people while on my bike riding around. Granted, they cannot hear me because we are going 60+ mph. And I am wearing a full-face helmet, so they cannot even see me moving my lips. However, I have yet been required to pull any of the weapons on my person.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts