Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made myself a bootleg lay-down plate mount and well it's not exactly what I'd call legal looking at night. Therefore I ordered some LED bolts for some illumination. I only used 2 of the three mounting holes so, I figured I can run wiring through the 3rd. Where about would I tap the wiring at? I'm coming form the sportbike world where you pop the tail or seat off and have all the wiring there at your disposal. :D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Taillight

Tentwelve,

I picked up the tail and brake lights under the seat. Ran a wire under the passenger seat. But I have a trunk to hide the wires. Not sure you can do that. You can recognize the cable just by its direction of travel toward the tail light. There is a connector, Probably to disconnect when removing the fender. Wire colors are.

Yellow= Brake, Brown= L Turn siganl, Green= R turn signal, Blue= Tail light, Black= ground.

If you can not hide the wire you will need to go inside the tail light. The cable is routed from under the fender. May need to drill a hole, I would hate that.

Dave

·
Registered
297 Posts
Some more info for your tail light plate issue.

Liner dave, gave you the details, I have a picture of the connector and wire colors under the seat, check out the Led project on 08-29-2011, and Dave's right, you may have to drill into the fender to get to the tail light fixture if you don't want to go all the way upto the seat and the connector.

Once you figure it out please take some pictures, and add them to the site.

The wiring was easy to figure out, with the maintenance manual.
Here's what I got:

Brake light = yellow
Tail light = Blue

Right Turn = Green
Left Turn = Brown.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool...Thanks for the wire colors guys. I'll tear into it some more when I get the lights.

So what you're saying though is that the mounting holes for the stock plate mount don't go all the way through? :confused:

·
Registered
297 Posts
We didnt say that lol !

All three bolts do go through the fender, I missed that point, when you said you were going to run the wire through one of those holes.
So let us know how it works.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Wires

Only talking about the wires for the stock light, and you may need to do the same. They are routed inside the fender and come through to the light.

Dave

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All three bolts do go through the fender, I missed that point, when you said you were going to run the wire through one of those holes.
So let us know how it works.
Yeah, as long as they go all the way through I should be good to go. I will let you all know how it turns out when I get the lights.

Thanks for the insight. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts