Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as a brand new rider in general, I have my fairly expensive modular helmet that thus far has always stayed either on my head or on my desk at work as its been my only destination (other than home).

I want to ride to a store right now, and just thought to myself....the heck do I do with my helmet? I don't want to leave it on my bike for fear of it falling and taking an impact, or being stolen by someone (cutting the straps if I lock it onto the bike itself or just walking away with it otherwise). Do people just carry their helmets everywhere inside say, Target or Walmart?

I've seen motovloggers keep theirs on in stores because they wanna film stuff for the vlog, but I mean, that's a bit weird and even more so when I don't have a camera mounted on there yet.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It's doubtful anyone would cut the straps to steal a helmet, as that would render it useless. Since my helmet lock is conveniently placed behind the saddle bags on my 1100, I found a cable lock on eBay. It's a combination lock with a retractable cable around 3 feet long. I just run the cable through the buckle on my helmet and around something on the bike. It's not heavy duty and if someone really wants my helmet it wouldn't be difficult to break, but it's enough to stop someone from just grabbing it on the way by. Here's the link: 3 Feet Retractable Combination Cable Lock For Bike Luggage Green L6

Another option is to relocate the helmet lock. There are lots of threads about different ways to do this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's doubtful anyone would cut the straps to steal a helmet, as that would render it useless. Since my helmet lock is conveniently placed behind the saddle bags on my 1100, I found a cable lock on eBay. It's a combination lock with a retractable cable around 3 feet long. I just run the cable through the buckle on my helmet and around something on the bike. It's not heavy duty and if someone really wants my helmet it wouldn't be difficult to break, but it's enough to stop someone from just grabbing it on the way by. Here's the link: 3 Feet Retractable Combination Cable Lock For Bike Luggage Green L6

Another option is to relocate the helmet lock. There are lots of threads about different ways to do this.
That's a good idea. I've absolutely known people who have had $400+ helmets with say, a sena or gopro on it (another $200+), straps slashed and stolen. I mean, criminals usually aren't too smart in my opinion lol, I think they would assume it's easy to replace straps or the helmet would work fine without strapping it up.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
I carry mine in with me. That might be a hassle to some, but works for me. I'm too lazy to lock it up. I park, start walking into store while taking helmet off. I've got a Uclear communicator on my helmet and would not want it stolen if left on bike. My wife rides with me a lot and she does the same thing. Well she does stop and look at her hair in the window before we walk in, I'm bald so no worries there, ha, ha. I go to biker events and lock it up just like NorthernRider. One side benefit to carrying it with you it's not hot from the sun when you get out, I live in Houston, so it gets really hot. It also makes a good spot to carry small things you are going to buy.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I agree, les, and I should have added that I do carry mine in with me at times. That lock I have only stops honest thieves. A lot depends on where it is, how long I'll be there for, what I'm doing, etc. If I'm going in for lunch at a restaurant I don't necessarily want my helmet sitting beside me on the table, for example. When I'm at work my helmet and jacket ride in the truck with me. Of course, if I had a Sena or GoPro on my helmet I wouldn't leave it on the bike, period - locked or not. That's just too big of a temptation.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Maybe my faith in human nature is misplaced... Or perhaps I simply don't frequent areas with high crime. But I just leave it sitting on the bike, unlocked: typically hanging on a handlebar. It's not a super-premium helmet, but has bluetooth and cost about $300, so not 'junk' either. Heck, I just went to Gettysburg Bike Week and left it in the bike parking area all day, no problem. Says much for the brotherhood of bikers, I suppose.

Can't say for sure, but perhaps the fact I kinda look like a murderous ass-kicking SOB helps. I'm not, of course: a 'gentle giant' really. I'm more lover-than-fighter / wuss-than-badass. But folks seem to think I -look- like I'll rip your head off and eat your lungs for lunch. 'Tis in fact useful on occasion and I play it up when relevant (e.g. with my teenage daughter's boyfriends), but it's just acting (thank you!).

Having said that, when it's not inconvenient to carry it in with me (e.g. at the office, going to a meeting, etc.) then I do so. But like NorthernRider says, I don't want to hassle with it sitting on the table/in the booth when I go in for lunch somewhere.

One of these days, I'll probably get burned. And yeah, I'll be pissed off and say some choice words, then wear one of my non-bluetooth 'spares' until I can go buy a new one. Then again, been riding for ~40 years and never had a helmet stolen yet. So next time it gets stolen will make 1x per 40 years...

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Weise, not clear if you already know, there is (was) a helmet lock on the left side of your rear fender that works with your ignition key.

I took it off my bike when I had a saddle bag, so it might not be on yours.

I hook the strap together, put my gloves in the helmet, and hang it on the throttle grip when I feel safe leaving it on the bike. I have also folded my jacket over and left it over the handlebars (dont let it get into the muffler hanging over the seat).

Depends on where I am, I usually take it into the supermarket and put it in the cart. If Im only grabbing one thing sometimes I leave it on.

I have an HJC RHPA carbon fiber composite helmet that only cost me $120 because I got it 4 years old from a 'warehouse' website (new in box? old still in box? .....?!) It would cost me about $350 to buy a new one (this years model). So I would be pissed if someone took it, not to mention you cannot ride home then.

BTW a helmet with no strap is worthless. The test to see if your helmet fits correctly is to pull the strap tight, and then see if you can pull the helmet off your head, or half way off (too big if you can). With no strap in an accident a helmet would come right off.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
I've seen motovloggers keep theirs on in stores because they wanna film stuff for the vlog
dorks. and it makes others inside uneasy thinking they're going to get robbed.
if i'm only going inside a store for a moment and not picking up anything big, i carry my helmet inside. otherwise, just leave it hooked on the helmet lock. that's what it's there for. it's not common for bikers to have their helmets stolen off their bikes.

·
Registered
845 Posts
We never lock our Helmets, many years ago we did but no longer.
We just lay them on the bike and back rack anyplace we go, even entire days at the beach or mountains or Walmart ... whatever. :eek:)

If it/they ever get taken that is fine, we wear the lightest, most comfortable, thinnest and inexpensive 3/4 DOT helmets on the market by Daytona. Cost about $60.00
Replace them every few years, heck if they got stolen I would just consider it time to replace. :eek:)
We ride to have fun and everyone has their idea of fun, to me, its not to worry when I am away from the bike, our helmets are available to anyone walking by the bike if they want them, being they are inexpensive I doubt anyone would. But who knows.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, thank you all for the input! Outside of theft then, what about heat? It doesn't get TOO bad up here, but I mean last week and this week was up around 103 degrees. Black helmet in the sun can't be good for it right? Anything sitting in the sun/heat for extended hours seems to wear on its durability over time.

Yesterday I was just looking around some thrift stores so I carried it in with me. I won't wear it like I was talked about with motovloggers as that really does just seem silly (I was kind of just poking fun that at the fact they do that), but I plan to put it in a cart or carry it around for now I guess. I've lived in areas of high crime before, and luckily Idaho is pretty damn low in crime, but that doesn't mean I leave my doors unlocked on my car or my house unlocked. I know people that do here though, it's crazy to me coming from a SUPER high-crime area in California, haha.

Oh and KCW, don't put your gloves in your helmet man. All those road bugs/crap getting on them, then putting that on your head/face (through transfer of putting them in your helmet and such) seems a little gross :p

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
WHen I hang my helmet on the throttle upside down, I worry more about a bird sitting on the mirror and pooping in my helmet.

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
I broke down and bought a trunk and lock our helmets in there. I lined the inside of it with heat reflective tape and it keeps the helmets pretty cool even sitting inside the trunk all day as the trunk is black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use a cheapo handgun cable lock that came with a gun. I strap our helmets to the bike with that.
If we're going to be out and walking about, I got a 6 foot cable lock that I run through the sleeves of our jackets, then attach to the bike.

I'm going to guess we'll probably pop off he Sena units and just stick them in a jacket pocket.
Or take them with us.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
IF we are with a group of riders usually just leave the helmets on the bike. I take the Sena and GoPro off and lock them in a saddle bag or trunk. If we are riding by ourselves I usually take it in where ever we go. A lot of times it sparks up conversations with cool people when they see it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well, thank you all for the input! Outside of theft then, what about heat? It doesn't get TOO bad up here, but I mean last week and this week was up around 103 degrees. Black helmet in the sun can't be good for it right? Anything sitting in the sun/heat for extended hours seems to wear on its durability over time.

Helmets are good for 5 years and then supposed to be replaced, not because of heat or cold, or shade and sun but because ozone in the air breaks down/weakens the foam in the helmet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I gotta say it really depends on the type of area you are parking. Sometimes I carry it in, and other times I leave it in the bike not even locked. If the weather is nice enough I wear my skid lid and it will fit in my saddle bag. out of sight out of mind. Or, get a shopping cart and put it there... :) My 2 cents

·
Registered
176 Posts
Maybe my faith in human nature is misplaced... Or perhaps I simply don't frequent areas with high crime. But I just leave it sitting on the bike, unlocked: typically hanging on a handlebar. It's not a super-premium helmet, but has bluetooth and cost about $300, so not 'junk' either. Heck, I just went to Gettysburg Bike Week and left it in the bike parking area all day, no problem. Says much for the brotherhood of bikers, I suppose.

Can't say for sure, but perhaps the fact I kinda look like a murderous ass-kicking SOB helps. I'm not, of course: a 'gentle giant' really. I'm more lover-than-fighter / wuss-than-badass. But folks seem to think I -look- like I'll rip your head off and eat your lungs for lunch. 'Tis in fact useful on occasion and I play it up when relevant (e.g. with my teenage daughter's boyfriends), but it's just acting (thank you!).

Having said that, when it's not inconvenient to carry it in with me (e.g. at the office, going to a meeting, etc.) then I do so. But like NorthernRider says, I don't want to hassle with it sitting on the table/in the booth when I go in for lunch somewhere.

One of these days, I'll probably get burned. And yeah, I'll be pissed off and say some choice words, then wear one of my non-bluetooth 'spares' until I can go buy a new one. Then again, been riding for ~40 years and never had a helmet stolen yet. So next time it gets stolen will make 1x per 40 years...
I'm with him; usually just through my gloves inside and drop the helmet on the sissy bar or hang in on the handle bars. Never had one stolen in my 40-50 years of riding but it could happen. If it does, I figure I got my monies worth out of this one already. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Search lock picking on youtube.
It used to be 95% of folks hadn't a clue. Now you can find tutorials on how to pick or breach just about any lock or mechanism there is.

My philosophy is that locks just keep honest people honest.

For me, it really all depends on location, and the amount of time I'll be away.

I carry a 6 foot cable lock that allows me to run the sleeves of both jackets, and our helmets through, and lock to the bike if I don't want to carry stuff around.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts