Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 XVS650A seat measures 14" X 14"

Which Air Hawk air pressure adjustable seat pad do you like best for 650? These seem best due to adjustable air feature and with high air, they say I might be able to sit a bit higher (I am 6'2")

Prices seem to be around $90. Have you found for less?

My 15 year old stock seat is hard as a rock. Ideas other than buying a replacement seat. Can't afford.

Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
3,238 Posts
I know how hard those stock seats are and I couldn't afford $600 for a new one either. I looked into having some foam added from an upholstery shop (almost as much as a new seat), and I found a website that gives instructions to do it yourself. This looked promising, but I had an eye out for a cheap original seat to work on in case I messed it up. I ended up trading bikes before I found one. The site I found went into great detail but since then I got a new computer and I lost the link. Maybe someone here might have it.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I know how hard those stock seats are and I couldn't afford $600 for a new one either. I looked into having some foam added from an upholstery shop (almost as much as a new seat), and I found a website that gives instructions to do it yourself. This looked promising, but I had an eye out for a cheap original seat to work on in case I messed it up. I ended up trading bikes before I found one. The site I found went into great detail but since then I got a new computer and I lost the link. Maybe someone here might have it.
Geeze NR that is like saying i think you could fix it some how maybe you can find a way to do it your self.

I have seen some gel pad covers on bikes. I have thrown a sheep skin on for longer rides

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
I modified my stock 650 seat a several years ago

my butt would get numb after about an hour. From my experience riding recumbent bicycles I knew the thing that was missing was a grove down the middle so you are not sitting on your tailbone.

this is a good time to point out that seats are like helmets and boots and gloves: One size does not fit all!

an aftermarket seat that is comfortable for one person may be terrible for someone else. That is the problem, its not like you can try it on like a helmet.

There is a thread on the forum with my mods that should be easy to find. My seat is good for at least 2 hours on the bike now, at which point I need to stretch my legs anyway.

There use to be a great DIY motorcycle seat mod website, I used it, but with a quick search I cant find it now - it may have been taken down....

Modding your own seat is not hard, and if you are going to replace it and spend money anyway, why not give it a shot. A few bucks for some extra foam and some sheet metal screws to replace the original staples that hold the cover on are less than $10. Worse that can happen is you dont like it, and you need a new seat.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,238 Posts
Yeah, I did a search and found your thread KCW, but the link didn't work. Too bad, that was a very informative site.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went ahead and ordered an Air Hawk cruiser R Large air inflatable pad, as I don't have the ability or patience to re do my 15 year old rock hard, very uncomfortable original seat......and I really want to keep bike as stock as possible. After some use, I'll report how well I feel with it. Thanks everyone. Love this forum.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
I have the same attitude as JEP, and it goes back to my sailing days

I could either be working on my motorcycle, or riding it....99.99% of the time riding wins

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KCW I learned to sail aboard a Sunfish and agree about getting out and sailing or riding rather than working on it, although I do like to polish & detail still.

I'll have new Air Hawk by 9pm today (05/23/2020) and will report back as to how I like it.

Did you know Air Hawk can be adjusted downward WHILE RIDING? Cool feature. I like that a lot.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
My 2005 XVS650A seat measures 14" X 14"

Which Air Hawk air pressure adjustable seat pad do you like best for 650? These seem best due to adjustable air feature and with high air, they say I might be able to sit a bit higher (I am 6'2")

Prices seem to be around $90. Have you found for less?

My 15 year old stock seat is hard as a rock. Ideas other than buying a replacement seat. Can't afford.

Thanks guys View attachment 94348
My stock seat is as rock hard as my abs..........................used to be 40 yrs ago

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Air Hawk Cruiser R--Large cushion tested for first time. Maybe with a bit too much air for first run, but rode 24 miles and love the comfort of getting slightly above old very hard seat and onto air pockets. DOES raise me up maybe an inch so as to make my knees bend 90 degrees and not further. Had to adjust mirrors upward.

Overall, after first test ride, $92 was very well spent

May or may not decrease cushion air pressure via schrader valve. Easy to do. Want to give it several runs before decreasing. Others say it's common to start out with too much pressure. Just need enough to get your butt slightly above old, hard seat.

Will post again after more test rides but my first impression is positive

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
23 additional miles on Air Hawk. Best butt comfort ever. Air lifts butt up off old hard seat. Most comfy ride of all 31 bikes owned over 60 riding years. Get one. Pics later today. Stays in place via criss cross connector straps under seat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I may have to check it out. I have a mustang 1 piece seat...and honestly...it's NOT all that. I have an Alaska Leather seat pad too, but it won't stay still. It creeps and ends up bunched up causing me to adjust at stop signs and lights.... I can only imagine how entertaining that is to people around me as I appear to dig around my backside... I have been looking at an Ultimate Seat....but man...the cost....the back rest would be great though....but the cost....

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
344 Posts
If your issue is like mine.. I'm 6'0" and sit back in the seat and the stock seat was putting pressure on my tailbone. I removed the seat and carved out a 2" wide 1" deep section of the pad on the bottom closest to the seat pan. It sits looking stock but the relief it allows makes a huge difference.. My fingers go numb before my butt does now :)

hardest part of the mod is stapling the cover back on . It's just time consuming .
Basically I did the reverse of what KCW said in the beginning so it looks stock still but a much better relief than the stock seat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
32 miles in 90 degrees on new Air Hawk. Good value. Wish I had bought one years ago and switched from bike to bike. Get cruiser R large for our 650's. Fits well. Does not move around due to criss cross straps under seat. You can adjust air pressure easily via schrader valve. Blow up with mouth. Reverse schrader to release air pressure to your butt's liking......lol. I've not yet reduced pressure and really like to sit a bit higher (I'm 6'2"). Here's mine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I may have to check it out. I have a mustang 1 piece seat...and honestly...it's NOT all that. I have an Alaska Leather seat pad too, but it won't stay still. It creeps and ends up bunched up causing me to adjust at stop signs and lights.... I can only imagine how entertaining that is to people around me as I appear to dig around my backside... I have been looking at an Ultimate Seat....but man...the cost....the back rest would be great though....but the cost....
I hear ya re cost man. Seems to me that $92 is a really good value to allow us to ride on air and this one DOES stay put. I just couldn't afford to buy a $500 replacement seat and was unhappy with my rock hard OEM seat.....and I ride a lot but never long distance, usually 20 to 30 miles, year round, almost daily.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If your issue is like mine.. I'm 6'0" and sit back in the seat and the stock seat was putting pressure on my tailbone. I removed the seat and carved out a 2" wide 1" deep section of the pad on the bottom closest to the seat pan. It sits looking stock but the relief it allows makes a huge difference.. My fingers go numb before my butt does now :)

hardest part of the mod is stapling the cover back on . It's just time consuming .
Basically I did the reverse of what KCW said in the beginning so it looks stock still but a much better relief than the stock seat.
I like your stock look and good butt relief too. Man, that stock seat without mod is rock hard. Good job. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts