Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2005 Road Star Midnight, 2004 Royal Star Midnight Venture, 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe Midnight
105 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks...

I am in the process of yet another bike change... going from a RSMV to Strat Deluxe.

When changing bikes, I always feel a pang of regret, mostly centered around the feelings I had at particular moments on various trips when straddling the departing bike.

This made me reflect on which parting was most painful. I have come to the conclusion that the bike I miss most is an '05 Raod Star Midnight Silverado 1700. The bike just handled so well, it was comfortable over distance, but I could still feel some Rumble and a better connection to the road and riding experience... I really loved that bike.

Which bike do you most regret letting go of?

· Registered
119 Posts
Reaction score
I don't really feel regret when selling a vehicle, but I definitely miss my old Honda Pacific Coast. A VERY unique bike, super comfortable and incredibly handy. Whenever I popped the "trunk" heads would turn and people would come over and say WHAT IS THAT??

(This is NOT mine pictured below - just a great example)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Super Moderator
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,580 Posts
Reaction score
Not sure regret is the correct word for me. But I had an '82 Suzuki 750+ that I bought new off the showroom floor. It was my baby as it was the first new thing I'd ever bought at 18. I really wish I had that bike back. Not that it would be as comfortable to cruise around on as my Road Star. But it was a nice bike and it would be a classic now. :cool:

· Registered
91 Posts
Reaction score
I had an 02 Ducati Monster S4 with the 916 teatastretta (4 valve). Bike handles so good, and such a deep rich tone. I really can’t stand any of the look and sound of the new Ducati’s. everything changed in 2008/2009 for them.

the sound of that dry clutch and and the way it grabbed and pulled you is a true feeling to enjoy. Still miss that bike dearly.

· Registered
2005 Road Star Midnight, 2004 Royal Star Midnight Venture, 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe Midnight
105 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't thinking that far back to nostalgic bikes... I was think more about bikes that you just loved to ride. I got my licence in '79 on a Honda CT90 Automatic. . Fun little bike for a kid, but with a ridiculous "pregnant Moped" look to it. I still remember picking up this cute girl at a bar that I had snuck into underage, we danced and talked for a couple hours and then when she had to leave I offered her a ride home... when we got to the parking lot and she saw the CT90, she said; "You have got to be kidding me!" I said, "Nope, hop on." I had made a padded seat that sat on the rear rack... I drove her 25 km home at one o'clock in the morning doing about 50 km/h (do the math)... when we got to her house, instead of the slap I was expecting, she invited me in... NOW THAT is a bike! Mind you, I had given her my jacket and helmet and my Flock of Seagulls hair was blowing in the wind and her hands were clutching my six pack (which is now a draft-ball).

· Registered
2007 Yamaha XV1900 CTSW Stratoliner S
54 Posts
Reaction score
I regret selling my 1997 Ducati 750 SS. That bike handled like no other I've ever owned. It certainly wasn't the most comfortable (especially on long trips) or the fastest, but it cornered and wheelied like nobody's business.

I was newly married and my wife had just given birth to our first child. We didn't have much money then like most new parents. I just couldn't justify continuing to make payments on a vehicle that I knew I wouldn't be able to use very much. It's kind of difficult strapping a baby seat to the back seat of a sport bike. Not to mention illegal. Plus, it would've been selfish of me to leave my wife behind with the baby while I go have fun.

· Registered
2004 Road Star Silverado Midnight Star 1700, 2007 VStar Classic 1100
83 Posts
Reaction score
1980 Suzuki GS250T. Got it at 16. Between ages 16-18 that seat saw more bunnies than I could count. Quite a few cougars too 😉.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tail & brake light

It was a full size 6 gear touring model. I stretched a lot of chains on that bike. It had 1 fatal flaw. Everytime the chain would come off, it would bend the clutch pin and the next time you pulled the clutch in, the bent pin would destroy the seal and dump the oil out of the crank case. I had a bunch of them machined at a local machine shop so I always had spares.

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
640 Posts
Reaction score
I don't really feel regret when selling a vehicle, but I definitely miss my old Honda Pacific Coast. A VERY unique bike, super comfortable and incredibly handy. Whenever I popped the "trunk" heads would turn and people would come over and say WHAT IS THAT??

(This is NOT mine pictured below - just a great example)
View attachment 123594
That's very cool I've never seen one of those..

· Registered
9 Posts
Reaction score
A 2007 Road Star 1700 is "the one that got away" for me. I went through a phase (I may still be in it. Time will tell) where I'd buy a bike in the winter, fix it up nice, ride it spring & summer, then sell it for a decent profit as fall started. This Road Star was way cool! In less than 5 minutes I could go from a full on 2up touring cruiser with trunk and bags, to a stripped down bobber, with almost no tools. It was slammed, aped, piped, and tuned. It screamed for sure.

On the upside, I still know the guy I sold it to and have offered to buy it back anytime.
Tire Plant Wheel Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Sky Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

· Registered
6,384 Posts
Reaction score
In 1978 I bought a bike in a box, a friend tore the bike completely apart , bought all the new parts , then let it sit . He didn't know where to start to put it back together. I gave him $500 for all of it.
It was a 1960 Harley FLH full dresser. The guys in my shop in the Navy and I painted it , assembled it and made it perfect. When I transferred I sold it . What a stupid thing I did.

· Registered
6,384 Posts
Reaction score
I bet if you would have Sync'd the carbs the 750 would have stayed. I had the CB 750, I would have to adjust the carbs atleast once a month to keep it hot.

This was a must have for the old CB 750

Output device Product Peripheral Font Screenshot

· Registered
2018 Eluder
20 Posts
Reaction score
Of the dozen or so motorcycles I have owned, I miss my 06 FJR1300 the most. I rode many a mile on that bike, including several bunburner and bunburner gold rides. I had farkled it up to suit my riding style and after several years of reliable, comfortable service, I decided on a whim that I wanted another bike, (my current Eluder) and, with little extra room in the stable, I elected to sell the FJR and buy the Eluder. While I do like the Eluder, I really miss that old FJR.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts