Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Both Equal

Votes: 4 21.1%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my bike. I'm noticing more and more bikes are going to the "Blackout" look, mostly matte black finish and very little chrome.
I'm an old geezer and like the traditional shiny chrome on a cruiser bike.
Which do you prefer?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,521 Posts
Another old geezer here, I like chrome. But some of the blacked out bikes do look pretty good.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
For sure need to add another choice button for "both". I like the matte finish and attitude of bobbers. Not sure that I would ride one because I do not project that attitude...It would be like me...old man...wearing peg legged skinny jeans....Sorry for that mental picture! If you enjoyed that mental picture....seek professional help! o_O

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For sure need to add another choice button for "both". I like the matte finish and attitude of bobbers. Not sure that I would ride one because I do not project that attitude...It would be like me...old man...wearing peg legged skinny jeans....Sorry for that mental picture! If you enjoyed that mental picture....seek professional help! o_O
Good idea
Done

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,521 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
^ Thats funny! I told my wife once I was bringing sexy back....Without batting an eye...looking over the book she was reading...Said to me...Let me know when it gets here! I still laugh about that one. Sorry for the detour on the topic!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
been riding bicycles my entire life - commuted on a recumbent bike for a few years when I lived close enough to work

on a bicycle visibility is crucial to survival - I frame-bashed a few recumbent bikes together and painted them yellow or orange, and put retro-reflective silver and red tape everywhere possible.

On a bike you dont have the ability to always get out of harms way, like you can with a motorcycle. But still for all my vehicles, if I can get it in bright yellow I have. I have painted a few cars bright yellow (air cooled VW Beetles).

There are vehicle colors that can dissapear into the background: my 1970 Superbeetle was "tropical green". It got side swiped twice, pulling the same front fender off the car - other drivers swore they did not see me - then I painted it yellow.

Dark blue, dark grey, maroon, dark green - I have experienced this myself while driving and suddenly a car seems to materialize out of nowhere.

Completely black is not that bad, it does contrast with the environment, except at night. its great in the snow

Interestingly red does not register on human peripheral vision at all, it appears black. That is why they changed fire trucks from red to yellow. Bright blue registers better than red, Police car light bars....

I love the look of my black Royal Star Ursa - If I decide it needs to be painted it will be yellow.

Staying alive is the highest priority - I also wear a yellow hi-vis jacket and a retro reflective silver helmet. If I ever end up lying in the road, I dont want to look like a Hefty trash bag.

So for your survey: Chrome - it will reflect headlights better, and I like when I stand next to my motorbikes and I can see my reflection in several chome dome cover plates.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I am not a black guy. All the bikes around with the Milwaukee heritage bikes i need color. I wouldn't have bought the Classic if it wasn't for the blue on it.
Hey KCW hows this 101_2444.JPG
My old 1800VTX

·
Registered
146 Posts
Give me chrome all day long and more chrome! I hear guys say things like that guy must spend more time polishing chrome than riding, not true. I ride a lot but I am also retired and one of the things I like to do is keep my bike in tip top shape both mechanically and cosmetically. I have a camp about a mile back on a dusty dirt road basically live there for 2/3rds of the year and the first thing I do when I get off the bike is blow the dust off with leaf blower then use a feather duster for the hard to reach places. When it cools down I usually polish it up at the end of the day getting it ready for the next day.

·
Registered
171 Posts

I Powder coated my wheels & pulley gloss black just bc I like being a bit different. I can't keep anything completely stock. I'm happy with the look. I don't see myself changing anything else black.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts