Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I got this from motorcyclegear.com a couple years old stock, its carbon fiber and it was only $125 new in box.

I have never seen a carbon helmet for that price since (3 years) in any style.

I have more money invested in my teeth than in both motorbikes combined, ATGATT so 'nuff said about that.

Once you have used a carbon fiber helmet you will never settle for putting another extra pound on your head with a fiberglass helmet.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
I currently have 4 helmets I rotate. HJC 3/4, HJC full face, Speed + Strength modular and Speed + Strength full face. The HJC and Speed+Strength fit me well compared to most. Depends on weather on which I use. Commuting daily in Houston my helmets get funky quickly. I almost always have liner out of 1 or 2 drying after a good wash. I always ride with a helmet.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
^ ...... none of those match the Harley....

My spider sense tells me there will be two more soon.

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
^ ...... none of those match the Harley....

My spider sense tells me there will be two more soon.
Actually the Harley does have red pin stripes so it kinda does match. But one is due for replacement this year.

·
Registered
549 Posts
All Shoeis - X-11 (Full), RJ Platinum (3/4), and NeoTec (Modular). Extremely comfortable, quiet and well ventilated.

I had bought a Bell Revolver Modular before the NeoTec, and it was/is horrible (Not comfortable and loud).

Love the Shoeis. Will probably never buy another brand.

I never ride without one on.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't have a picture but I ride with a Daytona half shell in the summer and a scorpion exo 420 full face helmet. If anyone is looking for new helmets scorpions are great.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Got a red HJC CL17 and the open face version, same color. More and more often lately I'm riding without a helmet. Today I went on a 180 mile ride and never put the helmet on. It's with me in case I change my mind.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Bell Pit Boss carbon matte half helmet with visor. The zippered neck curtain with ear flaps is removable and they have speaker pockets. The visor is interchangeable clear or smoked and it retracts into the helmet if not being used. Full face helmets make me claustrophobic.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,450 Posts
Bell Pit Boss carbon matte half helmet with visor. The zippered neck curtain with ear flaps is removable and they have speaker pockets. The visor is interchangeable clear or smoked and it retracts into the helmet if not being used. Full face helmets make me claustrophobic.
I was thinking about the Bell Pit Boss. How do you like it? Pros? Cons?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was thinking about the Bell Pit Boss. How do you like it? Pros? Cons?
I like it a lot. It's very lightweight, love the retractable visor and in cooler months the neck curtain/ear flaps are surprisingly warm. It's also got an adjustment on the rear that will tighten or loosen the head webbing. I "feel" protected but not confined by the constraints of a full face. The one drawback is that the inner padding is not removable to launder. I spray helmet fresh on the inside to keep it funk free. In really cold weather wearing a balaclava does the trick. I'd buy it again.
(I see you are in Houston. When I remove the neck curtain I wear foam ear plugs. The wind can do a number on your eardrums)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wore this for longer than I should have (SHOEI RF-1000):

I replaced it this year with an AGV S3 SV:

I'll be going back to Shoei in 3 year's and getting an RF-1200.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Both the wife and I have the Shark Skwal helmets. I like it for the fact they utilize light strips on the front and back that light up and or blink.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Found a picture

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
When I got my license 6 years ago I bought all my riding gear locally from a dealership. The sales guy (Andy) had hit a deer about a year earlier, and he had all his riding gear there in the shop: textile jacket, full face helmet, gloves, boots, and the Levi jeans that he rode thru the slide from 60mph to a stop.

The jacket and the boots had abrasion, but were intact. His jeans had ripped thru in a few places.

His full face helmet looked like someone took a 4 1/2" angle grinder to one side of it from his forehead down to his chin, including half the visor. He was thrown over the bike and deer and landed face first.

He was beaten up from the crash and slide, had some road rash where his blue jeans wore thru, and he was able to get up and walk away, with his handsome face and teeth intact.

The deer was dead.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I wore this for longer than I should have (SHOEI RF-1000):

I replaced it this year with an AGV S3 SV:

Like that you replaced the tee shirt and flannel shirt with riding jackets.

I took the MSF course wearing a Wilson Leather jacket from the mall. The instructors went over our riding gear one on one, and told me that wilson leather jacket would come apart on the pavement like wet newspaper.

We dont get to choose whether someone or something else will knock us off our bikes. We do get to choose what we will be wearing at the time.

I keep wanting to create an ATGATT thread so everyone can talk about the best riding gear they have been able to find.

I never seem to have the time to take a photo of myself with my MC, with all my gear on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Judgy-judgerson.

I also have shorts on in that first pic! So does she!

I'm of the MTGMTT camp. (Most the Gear Most the time). I've had that jacket for quite a few years. It's my second one. My other one is part of a 2-piece Alpinestars suit. Recall that I'm an ex-crotch-rocket-rider and thus the sporty looking gear.

In my 10 years of riding with about 35,000kms under my belt almost all on a supersport, I think i've only ridden without the jacket 7 or 8 times. 3 of which were when I got the 1100 this past summer and it was stupid hot up here and I had already been doing test runs in shorts and a t-shirt while working on it.. For some reason, the cruiser style bike makes me want to ride in t-shirt and shorts and go slow. LOL... In the pick above, I have the jacket on because a) I was on a longer road-trip vs a show-n-tell downtown cruise and b) poor weather conditions and c) it's actually how I usually dress to ride. ;)

I know I can't control what can hit me and what might make me crash, but I can control how much room I have, what I do when I approach a left turning cars at an intersection and how I take unknown corners (possible sand/gravel/oil spots). With the amount of riding experience I have, (I think) I can mitigate most of the possibilities and bring my risk level to a spot where I'm comfortable in a t-shirt sometimes...when the weather is incredibly hot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts