Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here's another thing about the trailer that I'm thinking about: $500, I could offer $400, Its older and this guy sold his bike and he gave up riding. I live in "BROKEN" Illinois. Get this, The new plate was only $18, our new governor which I did not vote for, raised all cargo style trailer classes $100. So, $118 plate, $150 title transfer, Hitch and harness $192 and trailer. Or I purchase the luggage rack and bag and deal with doing wash on long trips riding 2 up. Ha. is there any way I could get it classified as a recreational trailer because that plate is still only $18. Time to MOVE out of Illinois

·
Registered
156 Posts
^ if you had $30k in stocks this year, you have $20k in stocks now

True temporarily, but then you still would have 20K instead of the bike.

The "could have invested that money" logic doesnt always hold

But it does on average. While the bike just always loses value. Heck, my bike would have cost me $10,000. or so less if I'd waited a year and bought one of those "leftover" bikes. You just have to do what you think is the right thing at the time.

if you want a motorbike, get a motorbike - the money is worthless if you dont spend it on one thing or the other

Sure. I'm probably not the only rider that said, "Do I want to not spend any money on myself so I'll have more money to will to my children and grand kids when I die. Or should I spend it on myself? Hmmm?"
--

See responses above. ^^^

We don't often say, " I wonder what would be the worst decision I could make now?". Hindsight is always more accurate. Bummer. :oops:

--

·
Registered
156 Posts

Another item is that I went with the “pin style” like is used on Bushtec & Hannigan trailers. It has a lot better range of motion without binding.
That type of setup is already 360 degree swivel by virtual of the “heim joint” or “rod end” bearing used. Either way, having a swivel connection on your trailer is a MUST IMHO.
--

Not quite. Just to clarify this, the heim joint is a ball that rotates on a plane around 180 degrees like a fan from the rear of the bike. It's on a plane only. Only about the same "pinch up and down" allowance as a standard receiver. To spin around on the tongue 360 degrees, you need a swivel connection. The Bushtec tongue has both, The heim ball just eliminates the slop of the old type of latch that pops down over a ball and then has a lip pushing up from the bottom to keep it somewhat in place. Neither that nor the heim will allow a complete spin of a tongue and trailer in relation to the bike. The built-in swivel on the Bushtec tongue is just a little neater in appearance than an add-on swivel.

--

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,325 Posts
--

Not quite. Just to clarify this, the heim joint is a ball that rotates on a plane around 180 degrees like a fan from the rear of the bike. It's on a plane only. Only about the same "pinch up and down" allowance as a standard receiver. To spin around on the tongue 360 degrees, you need a swivel connection. The Bushtec tongue has both, The heim ball just eliminates the slop of the old type of latch that pops down over a ball and then has a lip pushing up from the bottom to keep it somewhat in place. Neither that nor the heim will allow a complete spin of a tongue and trailer in relation to the bike. The built-in swivel on the Bushtec tongue is just a little neater in appearance than an add-on swivel.

--
Gotcha. Well it does have a swivel. No matter what type of hitch you get, I think we’re all agreed that a swivel is a MUST!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gotcha. Well it does have a swivel. No matter what type of hitch you get, I think we’re all agreed that a swivel is a MUST!
--

I suppose you might not need a swivel if you never had your bike fall on it's side when your foot came down in a depression in the ground. I mean, not that that would ever happen to me three times. :cry:

--

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,325 Posts
--

I suppose you might not need a swivel if you never had your bike fall on it's side when your foot came down in a depression in the ground. I mean, not that that would ever happen to me three times. :cry:

--
I noticed the FIRST ONE to give your post a “LIKE” was none other than @lesblank who I’m SURE did so out of an INTIMATE empathy with your stated plight! 😁

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,891 Posts
21 - 27 of 27 Posts