Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a compact jack to lift & level my 650 for oil changes and to check oil level (sight glass)
IMG_1207.JPG

What do you recommend ?

BTW I have limited shed space and only need to raise 650 a few inches off ground

Thanks

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
For the site glass get a small piece of a mirror

sit on the bike holding the front brake tight with your right hand

reach down with the mirror holding the bike level with your feet, to see the window on the left side

you should do this every time you ride, esp if the bike drips oil at all

if you follow the 3 quart refill with filter recommendation in the owners manual, the oil will be at the top of the window, it will look all black or ( amber with new oil)

it can be confusing if you are looking at oil when its that full, but the plate behind the window looks white

If you just want to work on the bike and have it stand up straight, I put a stack of 4x4s 4x6s ... a 2x4 under the frame on the right side just behind the engine, sit on the bike and lean it to the right onto the stack, and then put a 4x4 under the still-down kick stand. The bike is very stable like this

you dont need to have it level to change the oil - this has been tested by a few people - the same amount of oil comes out with the bike on the kickstand as being level, and it can be harder to get an oil pan under the bike if its on a stand

If you need to take a wheel off, to take it in for a new tire, then you need to think about how to get the bike up off the ground.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the site glass get a small piece of a mirror

sit on the bike holding the front brake tight with your right hand

reach down with the mirror holding the bike level with your feet, to see the window on the left side

you should do this every time you ride, esp if the bike drips oil at all

if you follow the 3 quart refill with filter recommendation in the owners manual, the oil will be at the top of the window, it will look all black or ( amber with new oil)

it can be confusing if you are looking at oil when its that full, but the plate behind the window looks white

If you just want to work on the bike and have it stand up straight, I put a stack of 4x4s 4x6s ... a 2x4 under the frame on the right side just behind the engine, sit on the bike and lean it to the right onto the stack, and then put a 4x4 under the still-down kick stand. The bike is very stable like this

you dont need to have it level to change the oil - this has been tested by a few people - the same amount of oil comes out with the bike on the kickstand as being level, and it can be harder to get an oil pan under the bike if its on a stand

If you need to take a wheel off, to take it in for a new tire, then you need to think about how to get the bike up off the ground.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your suggestions of building up blocks to level bike and using mirror to check sight glass. I will do instead of buying jack.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have a piece of 2x4 with a piece of 5/4 deck board nailed to it to sit the kickstand on long enough to check the oil level.
For oil changes and any maint. I use my Harbor Freight jack and just raise it and strap it to it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a piece of 2x4 with a piece of 5/4 deck board nailed to it to sit the kickstand on long enough to check the oil level.
For oil changes and any maint. I use my Harbor Freight jack and just raise it and strap it to it.
Thanks for idea to build up left side to check oil

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wally world and Harbor Freight have some decent deals on portable motorcycle lifts/ jacks. Take up small amout of floor space and light enough to stand on their sides when not in use.
Thanks. I love Harbor Freight

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got several 2 X 4's and 4 X 4's to make a safe mount to keep bike upright for oil sight glass checks. Thanks for these ideas. And I just happen to have a mirror on a 24" stick too.

Great balls of fire !!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
If you have enough lumber pieces to make stacks that fit perfectly, and you dont use them for other things, definately tack them together with elmers glue or some headless nails

will save you time over the years remembering which pieces go where - make a block for the frame on the right, and a block for the kickstand on the left

good time to warn you - a lot of people try to check the oil or work on the bike sitting on the floor and holding the bike level by the grip - and drop their bike

its the same situation if you try to walk your bike by the handlegrips standing on one side (they cover this in the MSF course)

if you have to walk your bike always sit on it and duck walk it - these things weight more than twice your body weight - if you are standing or sitting on one side and it goes slightly over center, it is physically impossible for you to pull it back over center, the bike pulls YOU over as it falls away from you

same with putting the kickstand up and down - always done while sitting on the bike

this is the very first thing they teach in the MSF course because a LOT of people drop their bikes moving them, or using the kickstand

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have enough lumber pieces to make stacks that fit perfectly, and you dont use them for other things, definately tack them together with elmers glue or some headless nails

will save you time over the years remembering which pieces go where - make a block for the frame on the right, and a block for the kickstand on the left

good time to warn you - a lot of people try to check the oil or work on the bike sitting on the floor and holding the bike level by the grip - and drop their bike

its the same situation if you try to walk your bike by the handlegrips standing on one side (they cover this in the MSF course)

if you have to walk your bike always sit on it and duck walk it - these things weight more than twice your body weight - if you are standing or sitting on one side and it goes slightly over center, it is physically impossible for you to pull it back over center, the bike pulls YOU over as it falls away from you

same with putting the kickstand up and down - always done while sitting on the bike

this is the very first thing they teach in the MSF course because a LOT of people drop their bikes moving them, or using the kickstand
KCW thanks. I got extra wood blocks and think I'll attach so as to make right and left perfect level stands to be able to level bike. You are absolutely correct about duck walking. I've dropped one or two over the years (once a Goldwing but fortunately on grass). I park 650 under carport and turn around by powering forward and duck walking backward maybe 4 or 5 times. Did same for Goldwing. Works well & is safest.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KCW thanks. I got extra wood blocks and think I'll attach so as to make right and left perfect level stands to be able to level bike. You are absolutely correct about duck walking. I've dropped one or two over the years (once a Goldwing but fortunately on grass). I park 650 under carport and turn around by powering forward and duck walking backward maybe 4 or 5 times. Did same for Goldwing. Works well & is safest.
BTW as yet, I'm unable to kick stand down while sitting on bike and must reach down with left hand to do it (which I hate). Can stand be adjusted so as to STICK OUT a bit so I can get my size 13 onto it ?

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
86 Posts
BTW as yet, I'm unable to kick stand down while sitting on bike and must reach down with left hand to do it (which I hate). Can stand be adjusted so as to STICK OUT a bit so I can get my size 13 onto it ?
I have a 650 and size 14 feet. I found it difficult to put the kickstand down when I first got the bike due to it being pretty stiff. I found that the bolt that goes through the joint was super tight so I loosened it up a little, put some penetrating lube on it and worked it forward and back a few times. It's now nice and smooth and much easier to move into place.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Go to You Tube and search for" DYI $20 motorcycle jack in 20 minutes". I made one of these for my 1st V Star 650. Works like a charm. Still use it on my 1300.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts