Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a 650 and size 14 feet. I found it difficult to put the kickstand down when I first got the bike due to it being pretty stiff. I found that the bolt that goes through the joint was super tight so I loosened it up a little, put some penetrating lube on it and worked it forward and back a few times. It's now nice and smooth and much easier to move into place.
WOW and I thought my size 13's were large....lol. Thanks man. Good plan

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For the site glass get a small piece of a mirror

sit on the bike holding the front brake tight with your right hand

reach down with the mirror holding the bike level with your feet, to see the window on the left side

you should do this every time you ride, esp if the bike drips oil at all

if you follow the 3 quart refill with filter recommendation in the owners manual, the oil will be at the top of the window, it will look all black or ( amber with new oil)

it can be confusing if you are looking at oil when its that full, but the plate behind the window looks white

If you just want to work on the bike and have it stand up straight, I put a stack of 4x4s 4x6s ... a 2x4 under the frame on the right side just behind the engine, sit on the bike and lean it to the right onto the stack, and then put a 4x4 under the still-down kick stand. The bike is very stable like this

you dont need to have it level to change the oil - this has been tested by a few people - the same amount of oil comes out with the bike on the kickstand as being level, and it can be harder to get an oil pan under the bike if its on a stand

If you need to take a wheel off, to take it in for a new tire, then you need to think about how to get the bike up off the ground.
DKW I took your idea and built wood pieces (two 4 X 4's glued together for right side and one 4 X 4 for under kick stand. Works well. Very stable. I'll post pics soon. Thank you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
DKW I took your idea and built wood pieces (two 4 X 4's glued together for right side and one 4 X 4 for under kick stand. Works well. Very stable. I'll post pics soon. Thank you.
Sorry, meant KCW and not DKW......I lost my mind temporarily, I hope

·
Registered
356 Posts
I purchased a Harbor Freight lift on craigslist and added rails to fit the bike to remove the rear tire. You can see the mod here....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here's mine thanks to KCW. 4 X 4's are about 5" long. Glue two together for right side. Glue nonslip pad to 4 X 4 for underneath
stand for left side. Lean bike while sitting on to the right up onto double 4 X 4's and then slip single 4 X 4 under kick stand. Stable. Cheap. Works. Thanks KCW

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
nicely done

I use the blocks for other things, and I have two bikes - at some point I need to cut them to size and Gorilla glue them together

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
nicely done

I use the blocks for other things, and I have two bikes - at some point I need to cut them to size and Gorilla glue them together
Thanks. Pretty easy to do and stable too.

Gotta admit, I did find, thanks to you, that I could upright bike, hold front brake, reach down with mirror (large) on extended stick, shine angled flashlight on nickel size sight glass and ACTUALLY SEE oil level very clearly. COOL BEANS and thanks KCW. Wanna see a pic of my large mirror on stick?

·
Super Moderator
3,170 Posts
I bought a extendable mirror on eBay for less than $5. Keep it in my saddlebag. Works pretty good but I would much prefer a dipstick.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's mine thanks to KCW. 4 X 4's are about 5" long. Glue two together for right side. Glue nonslip pad to 4 X 4 for underneath View attachment 93843 View attachment 93844 View attachment 93845 View attachment 93846 stand for left side. Lean bike while sitting on to the right up onto double 4 X 4's and then slip single 4 X 4 under kick stand. Stable. Cheap. Works. Thanks KCW
Even though I had built a similar lift to the initial post, it work d well when I had my bike stor d in a friend's 2 car garage. Now that I have my bike in my own storage shed, I like the 4x4's a lot due to space limitations.
Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Even though I had built a similar lift to the initial post, it work d well when I had my bike stor d in a friend's 2 car garage. Now that I have my bike in my own storage shed, I like the 4x4's a lot due to space limitations.
Thanks!
Glad I could be of help. My space is limited too, so 4 X 4's work well

·
Registered
20 Posts
I need a compact jack to lift & level my 650 for oil changes and to check oil level (sight glass) View attachment 93222 View attachment 93222

What do you recommend ?

BTW I have limited shed space and only need to raise 650 a few inches off ground

Thanks
I agree with redbird58, Harbor Freight has it for 99.98. They also have one for 179.00, but waste of money. The 100.00 lift works great, especially when washing it to be able to turn tires to clean rims

·
Registered
2003 V-Star 650 Silverado
12 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
wood has excellent strength under compression. Just dont put weight on in in such a way that the load will tend to split the wood along the grain, for example if you put wood under the frame of a bike put the grain 90° to the frame, not in line with it

Concrete and bricks also have excellent strength under compression but very low strength under tension. Mechanics get crushed under cars using cinder blocks for jack stands the wrong way.

The only safe way to use a cinder block is to put it flat on the floor with the holes facing up (like it is used in a building). Then anywhere you put weight on it, there is a solid wall of concrete all the way down to the floor (no holes being spanned).

if you stand it up on end, or on its side with the holes horizontal, and then put weight on the 'bridge' of concrete over one of the holes, it will crumble without warning. That is because the load is pushing the concrete apart (tension) like putting weight in the center of hammock.

If you have a choice: Jack stands, wood blocks, bricks or cinder blocks last....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
4 X 4 blocks seem strong indeed......but I use em only to upright bike in order to see oil level in sight glass. I drain oil while on side stand by opening drain bolt from the HIGH side. Works well. Try it. And I refill with 2.5 quarts and then check sight glass and add only if needed. S
eems impossible to drain out all 3 quarts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
...I drain oil while on side stand by opening drain bolt from the HIGH side. Works well. Try it. And I refill with 2.5 quarts and then check sight glass and add only if needed.
great tip, gonna try it that way...

21 - 40 of 42 Posts