Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Passing lights

Riloobsterman,

I can only tell you I have the Yamaha Passing Lamps and am happy with them. Not cheap I think you will have close to $300 in them. I have seen some go to WallMart and buy the fog lights and mount them on forks or crash bar.

My lamps have the stock 35 watt bulbs. They light the edges of the road at night and make me much more visible in the day. The three lights in front probably make me about up to par with a car. I have my lights pointed just above the low beam and just below the high beam. Only time I get lights flashed at me is when I have a passenger on the back. May need to stiffen up my rear suspension.

Dave

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Installation

FLRider,

I bought my passing lamps with the bike so the installation was free. I am not clear if the wire harnes is already there. I believe the wire is there and connected to the switch. Not sure.

The service manual shows the switch and wire already connected to the head light relay. The mechanical installation is fairly easy. The question will be can you find and connect the wires. If I am right the wire is there and connected to switch. The connections are inside the head light. The headlight power wires are Green Blue. This wire will go to more than one place. The head light high low switch being one. Power will be taken from this wire and sent to the switch and back. Green Blue going to the switch and Black Blue returning.

The Passing lamp wires are Blue Black. I believe that is a blue wire with a black stripe. So try opening up the head light use a volt meter or a test light to find this wire and determine if it is switched on and off with the Passing lamp switch. If you find this you should have no trouble connecting the passing lights.

Remember when testing, the headlight relay does not pick up until the engine has been started. But, if you let the engine idle for 20 minutes you will get an error, and the bike will shut down. Besides getting hot. So get ready and test for short periods of time.

Dave

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
road lites on 650

I had Yamaha put a set on my wife's star 650. it cost 203.00$ installed. It made a big diff. I have been going to this shop since 1972 when his dad had it.:D On the road star clinic forum there is instructions on how to build one for 100$.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Mounts

Farmall,

The mounts for a Liner passing lamps is a little more about $183. Lights $118. The switch is there mounted on the handlebars. So I am thinking about $300. Some question about those wires being there. I think they are.

Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yamaha Passing Lamps

Farmall,

The mounts for a Liner passing lamps is a little more about $183. Lights $118. The switch is there mounted on the handlebars. So I am thinking about $300. Some question about those wires being there. I think they are.

Dave
Get both the mounts and the lamps and you have everything you need to bolt on and hook up without mods. NOTE: The Yamaha passing lamps are virtual sealed beams. What that means is the 35watt bulbs are glued into the housing; though it makes replacing the bulbs very difficult it's not impossible. Its a lot cheaper replacing a $4.00 bulb than a $60.00 lamp.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Replacement lamps

I understand Yamaha has an replacement assembly now. Replacing both bulbs, the 35 watt and the 5 watt for about $15 each light.

My lights don't seem as white as I remember them when new. I have been thinking of replacing them.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand Yamaha has an replacement assembly now. Replacing both bulbs, the 35 watt and the 5 watt for about $15 each light.

My lights don't seem as white as I remember them when new. I have been thinking of replacing them.

Dave
Do any of you know where to get or what type of bulbs i should buy to replace mine? I have the stock passing lamps on an 05 Road Star Silverado. One of mine is out and i pulled the bulb housing and it says 12v 35 watt but i don't know if it is a two pin or just what needs replacing?
It almost looks like the bulb and its little socket are one piece?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Replacement lamps

Jdmac,

The bulbs I spoke of are for the Liners. The Liner has a passing lamp with two bulbs. A 35 watt and a 5 watt. Not sure what your Road Star has but this should be a replacement you can get from your dealer. If it is not a sealed beam you should be able to get it at an Auto parts store or Wall Mart. Just take a look at your bulb number and wattage.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star...detail/5/18/91/427/all/all/2557/0/detail.aspx

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jdmac,

The bulbs I spoke of are for the Liners. The Liner has a passing lamp with two bulbs. A 35 watt and a 5 watt. Not sure what your Road Star has but this should be a replacement you can get from your dealer. If it is not a sealed beam you should be able to get it at an Auto parts store or Wall Mart. Just take a look at your bulb number and wattage.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star...detail/5/18/91/427/all/all/2557/0/detail.aspx

Dave
Yes, I checked the link you provided here and i believe that it would be the Halogen replacement bulb rather than the sealed beam. I did notice the other link you had were the passing lights for the Liner and they are different. I also assume nicer with the two bulbs as well.
Mine just has the one bulb and you can remove the whole socket from the back of the lens by removing one screw which also has the grounding wire attached. I wonder if i could get that bulb and socket at an auto parts store? All it says on the socket is: Philite 12v 35W

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all your help Dave, That is the correct link for the Star brand replacements.
Good news though, I just got back from a power sports dealer i do some of my business with and he had some 35 watt Blue True-White ones on a shelf in the back for $7.00 each so i replaced both and the color and brightness match. He didn't even know he had them. They are a huge improvement. I will try to attach a link below to the company they came from. It's Big Bike Parts (Show Chrome Accessories)
They are part number: 10-8335

www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventory/Navi...es&categoryName=Replacement+Bulbs&catalogNo=1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.