Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to get the Roadburner 2.5 pipes for my V Star 650.

I'm trying to figure out which re-jet kit is the most versatile. I've seen a lot of posts on the net about people saying X re-jet kit didn't have the jet that was right for their setup.

It looks like the Cobra and the Dynojet kits for V Star 650 are exactly the same. You get two different sets of main jets.

The Baron kit looks like it might come with three choices of main jets instead of two. I can't find a description of what the Vance & Hines kit includes.

Initially I only plan to add the pipes. But if I get a big air kit down the road, I don't want to have to buy a second jet kit later.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Forget the kit, just but the Mikuni 2 jets you need....about $10 max. The kit is designed for one thing....to drain your wallet for a bunch of stuff you'll just throw away.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forget the kit, just but the Mikuni 2 jets you need....about $10 max. The kit is designed for one thing....to drain your wallet for a bunch of stuff you'll just throw away.
Is there a guide that shows which jets to get?

·
Registered
257 Posts
What Sick Mick said. If it was me, I'd try to find someone who has the same set-up you plan on having and go from there. A little leg work will save a lot of time in the end.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
you can do a google search,vstar 650 jetting
Probably just need 1 size larger mains....if it is a stock intake. Pretty basic set up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably just need 1 size larger mains....if it is a stock intake. Pretty basic set up.
I've been trying to figure out what is so great about the kits. You get a grooved needle that is easier to shim with provided clips. However, 650ccnd.com makes it sound pretty easy to use #4 washers with the stock needles for the same effect. You also get a drill bit and a self-tapping screw for the brass plugs. Which I could easily find a drill bit and a screw in my garage to use.

The Stage 1 Dynojet kit and the Cobra kit, which are both exactly the same thing, are listed at $75-$90. They include one jet size to boost the power of a stock setup and a second jet size for aftermarket pipe with stock air filter. The online instructions don't list the actual size of the jets though. Based on what http://650ccnd.com says I'm guesses they would be something like 115 and 120. versus the stock size of 110.

As best I can tell, your just paying a lot for the grooved pilot needles with the kits.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
As best I can tell, your just paying a lot for the grooved pilot needles with the kits.
.....And you should immediately toss the needles in the garbage can where they belong. The stock needles are easiest to tune.

So you're right....there is absolutely no good reason to buy a kit unless you just like tossing money out the window. If your Yamaha dealer doesn't have Mikuni jets, any Harley dealer will....the max you'll spend on small round mains is about $5 each.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.....And you should immediately toss the needles in the garbage can where they belong. The stock needles are easiest to tune.

So you're right....there is absolutely no good reason to buy a kit unless you just like tossing money out the window. If your Yamaha dealer doesn't have Mikuni jets, any Harley dealer will....the max you'll spend on small round mains is about $5 each.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you going to get a big air kit? I got the roadburner street pros on mine too with this filter:

You will need the baron kit. 112.5 main jets on the 4th groove needle.

If you don't want big air kit, just go with stage 1 dynojet and your bike will run perfect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sick mick is right. You do not need to buy the kit if you know what Main jets you need. You can add spacers for the needed. It will cost you a fraction of the price. Jets are normally 5-6 bucks but you will need to customize the needle with washers.

The baron jet kit is around 50$ n it will give you 3 sets of main jets which is great. The dynojet only gives you 1 set of jets and the size depends on stage.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The kits don't tell you what jets are included for a reason. They don't want you running and buying just jets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Summer, you're wrong on that one. The Baron jet kit comes with instructions and it tells you that it comes with 6 assorted mikuni main jets. 100 112.5 and 130. You will need 112.5 w big air kit

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Could be. I was just responding to Kyle76's comments from a previous post...

The Stage 1 Dynojet kit and the Cobra kit, which are both exactly the same thing, are listed at $75-$90. They include one jet size to boost the power of a stock setup and a second jet size for aftermarket pipe with stock air filter. The online instructions don't list the actual size of the jets though. Based on what http://650ccnd.com says I'm guesses they would be something like 115 and 120. versus the stock size of 110.

It wouldn't surprise me for a retailer to intentionally withhold nformation for that reason though.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Summer, you're wrong on that one. The Baron jet kit comes with instructions and it tells you that it comes with 6 assorted mikuni main jets. 100 112.5 and 130. You will need 112.5 w big air kit
Unless something has changed quite recently, the Baron's kit usually comes with all DynoJet components, since it is just a relabeled DynoJet kit. Mikuni has historically never had their components in a competitors kit. Different manufacturers means different numbers and different sizing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I though 100 was the stock size that a V Star 650 came with.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just watched the cruiser customizing how to video for re-jetting a V Star 650. They use the Baron kit, which also comes with a replacement pilot jet. They don't say why you should replace the pilot jet. A lot of the other re-jet kits don't even come with this piece. Other stuff I've read about re-jetting didn't mention a pilot jet.

Should I be at all concerned about replacing the pilot jet?

This is not only my first bike, but it is literally the first vehicle I've ever owned that was not efi.

Also, as far as a big air kit. I'm open to it. However, right now my primary concern is not to increase power. My goal is to make the bike louder. When I was getting ready to buy a bike I told people I didn't care about making it louder. However, I can't even hear the damn engine at speeds over 50. I hear other motorcycles way louder than my own. Even a guy riding behind me is way louder than my own bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure what you guys are talking about but if you google "baron jet kit vstar 650 PDF" you will find a PDF for installation instructions. It list all the parts that comes with the kit.

Ps: if you want to get road burner and no air kit, dynojet stage one. Follow instructions in there and bam you're done.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Cool, learn something every day..... First time I've seen Mikuni jets in a DynoJet kit....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts