Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 8,000 miles on my rear tire. It is pretty close to slick in the middle. It shows no cracking or splitting. The tire is only 4 months old. I just ordered my replacement. Here is my dilemma. I hear that new tires are slick as snot when new. I am scheduled to go to Arkansas to ride 123 (very curvey) 11 days from now.

I know I will not get a chance to put more than about 100 miles on the new tire if I change it before I go. So do I squeeze a little more life out of the old tire or take a chance on a tire that is hardly broken in on a curvey road?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
626 Posts
The new tire with out the flat spot will aid in the bike tipping in faster for those nice curves.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You'll be fine at 100 miles.....Even after 50 you should be okay, wouldn't go scraping pegs on every turn before that, but you'd be fine

·
Registered
894 Posts
If you're really worried about it, stand on the boards and ride it through some gravel leaning the bike from side to side. Or do some slow circles and figure 8s in an open parking lot. Or, buy a tire from a manufacturer that no longer uses mold release, like Dunlap. I know Shinkos do use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts