Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vance & Hines Twin Slash 2-into-1 Slip-On Muffler vs. Cobra 4" Slip-On Mufflers with Scalloped Tips. I'm debating back and forth between the two. I've listened to youtube videos of both and like both of them. Just having a hard time deciding which one.. Suggestions??

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Last year around August or so I installed the Cobra 4 inch slip on with the scalloped tip on my 09' 950t. I love the sound and am very pleased with it. Install was 27 mins total. Just remember to wipe off any dirt, grease, or fingerprints as they'll burn into the muffler. Seen a case where the prints weren't wiped off, and they stayed on permanently. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Oh yeah. At idle it's a good tone, when you get on it, it opens up, but not at an annoying level. I bought mine from phat performance out west thru their website. It came in 3 days, very easy transaction and it was $85 less than everyone else.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
No sir, since it's fuel injected there's no rejetting on the 950's. I'd added the slip-on and a k&n and didn't need a fuel processor until I later went to the LA choppers XXX open air kit. Generally the slip on doesn't change the exhaust enough unless you went to a true dual exhaust system.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
You're quite welcome. Hope I was of some help. Let us know how you like it after installation. It was very easy to install for me, and I'm no mr. goodwrench.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. I look forward to getting it. I'll let you know what I think. Planning on ordering one Friday from Phat Performance. Like the prices I see!!

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Cool, after a good search they were the best price wise, and in three days I had it. Three days from the west coast was quick for me, lol.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Exhaust

I bought the V & H slash cut slip on's and they sound good but are louder than I thought they would be. V & H doesn't offer a quieter baffle, yet. You might want to take it easy in the neighborhood until you get on the open road.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I suggest leaving the stock muffler on.
I like the quiet but throaty sound of it.
And seems to get a little deeper as the years go by.
Plus the look goes good with the bike.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I decided to go with the vance & hines twin slash cut slip on. I went back and forth over and over between it and the cobra. Watched a lot of videos of both and ended up getting the v&h. Very pleased! Just installed yesterday, I've had it a month now, hadn't had time to do it. I LOVE it. So does the wife!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I decided to go with the vance & hines twin slash cut slip on. I went back and forth over and over between it and the cobra. Watched a lot of videos of both and ended up getting the v&h. Very pleased! Just installed yesterday, I've had it a month now, hadn't had time to do it. I LOVE it. So does the wife!!
Do you notice much popping on deceleration? That's what mine does with a V&H 2-into-1 slip-on, planning on getting a tune to correct it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you notice much popping on deceleration? That's what mine does with a V&H 2-into-1 slip-on, planning on getting a tune to correct it.
I've only ridden it a couple times since I put it on. I did notice the popping on deceleration, but it doesn't really bother me too much. I've read a lot of reviews where people have said they couldn't stand the popping. To me it's not terrible. I'll deal with it..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've only ridden it a couple times since I put it on. I did notice the popping on deceleration, but it doesn't really bother me too much. I've read a lot of reviews where people have said they couldn't stand the popping. To me it's not terrible. I'll deal with it..
I can manage the popping if I use less engine braking and more actual braking. I'm spoiled because I'm coming from riding the snot out of my SV650, of which I engine brake more than I actually brake and the bike doesn't protest in any way. My SV has a full M4 exhaust system, K&N air filter and a PCIII that's properly tuned. Let me not digress too far about the SV though, I could go on for days about how great of a bike and motor it is.

I'll post up an after-action report for the 950 after I get it tuned, give my results about the popping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts