Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I already asked the question in the title, but what way is you tire turned when parked. I know when I park next to Harley's they are almost always turned to the left (see photo). I turn mine to the right so I don't have to turn the bars when I get back on the bike. I guess if I was locking the neck it would be turned to the left to access the locking device. While on the subject of locking the neck, I was with a guy that did so while we were in for lunch and for some reason he had a heck of a time unlocking it. I told him that I have often thought of locking my ignition keys in the saddle bags but thought, what if I had an issue getting the bag unlocked. So his issue with locking the neck just confirmed why I will not lock my ignition keys in the bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
To the left, of course.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
because the kickstand is on the left. you lean your bike to the left so it will rest on the kickstand. if you tried to turn your wheel to face the right, it probably won't even be able to stand up

Say what? When I'm washing/polishing the bike, adjusting the fairing mounts, etc., I frequently turn the handlebars to the right while it's on the kickstand. Hasn't fallen over yet.:confused:

Of course, normal rules of physics don't necessarily apply in Texas...gravity there might be stronger...or maybe the area just sucks? :D:D:D

Or is this another incidence of your understated humor? Satire?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
because the kickstand is on the left. you lean your bike to the left so it will rest on the kickstand. if you tried to turn your wheel to face the right, it probably won't even be able to stand up
Not true, I have always turn mine to the right (Shadow and VTX's and now RSTD), see the photo in the start of the thread. BTW, I find no correlation with handle bar position to the kickstand.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have to turn my V-Star to the left to lock the Forks, and it also exposes the ignition key. I have at times turned my forks to the right if I'm checking tire pressure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bikes I have owned and photos of the front tire not turned to the LEFT. BTW if I'm not on it or unless it is on level ground it will always be left in 1st. gear.
So I guess none of us know why the HD's seem to all have there front tires turned to the left. I posted a photo of a 2004, 1200 HD Roadster (Sportster) and I don't have the wheel turned to the left. I built a trike out of the HD.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Where I am, I turn it to the left, not sure what I'd do should I park a bike in the southern hemisphere??? Would one turn it in the opposite direction?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I turn it in the direction of the Packer game.......

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It depends on where or how the ground is under the bike.If it's sloped the tire will be turned to the right so the bike won't lean so far over.If it's flat ground I may just leave it straight.What ever the mood strikes.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Hank says"the grounds gonna shake like a big rattlesnake, and the South is gonna rattle again".

Have fun, Ride Safe, folks:D
Isn't there a rule about not posting after a 12 pack?:D:D:D

But I think the folks in OK would probably agree with you this week...:eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I guess the reason most HD riders park with their tires turned to the left is written in the HD Owners manual and that is why the rest of us have missed it. The only thing I can think of is that when the bars/tire is turned to the left there is more weight turned to the kickstand side rather than away from the kickstand.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you have backed into a parking space, expecially on a slope, the front wheel will almost always, noticed I said almost always, turn to the left. Gravity is gravity and ain´t it nice.
I always turn mine to the left, even in the driveway. I like the lean of the machine and it is on a slight slope. What really counts here is what one likes. A matter of style, and we all know who has the most style around here.

·
Administrator
13,697 Posts
what do harleys have to do with anything? every bike i ever see parked has their handlebars turned to the left. i saw a kid once try to park his bike with his handlebars to the right and he just about tore a hole in the space-time continuum. stupid kid

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what do harleys have to do with anything? every bike i ever see parked has their handlebars turned to the left. i saw a kid once try to park his bike with his handlebars to the right and he just about tore a hole in the space-time continuum. stupid kid
So you haven't looked at the photos in the previous posts on this thread and I don't understand your analogy with the space-time continuum. For sure if you look at my posted photos it blows your statement out of the water, unless you are calling me "stupid". No, seriously I find no reason to park with the handlebars/tire turned to the left without the parking conditions requiring it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts