Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
..this is a good valuation and review of the feature set of the 2018 SVTC. I concur...for I own one... /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Political Speak: "I er...approve of this message..." /forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/rm-rider-exchange/2018-yamaha-star-venture-motorcycle-review/
While reading the article it became evident that this is just a written report of the video he did. The identical things were stated in the ride review video. One which I watched AT LEAST 20 TIMES while I was waiting for delivery of my bike! 馃榿

Registered
..this is a good valuation and review of the feature set of the 2018 SVTC. I concur...for I own one... :) Political Speak: "I er...approve of this message..." ;)

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/rm-rider-exchange/2018-yamaha-star-venture-motorcycle-review/
Indeed, that is very well written Sir! I noticed that the article claims a standard 5 year Yamaha warranty making me wonder how old the article is. A buddy just grabbed a new left over SVTC Transcontinental (he simply could not pass up the deal of under 20 grand) and it appears his came with a standard 1 year factory warranty and an additional Star 4 year extended service contract. Maybe dropping part of the actual 5 year factory warranty as mentioned in the article was part of the reason he got such a super deal..
At any rate though, he DEFINITELY got a lot of motorcycle for the money cause it is GORGEOUS!!

Registered
While reading the article it became evident that this is just a written report of the video he did. The identical things were stated in the ride review video. One which I watched AT LEAST 20 TIMES while I was waiting for delivery of my bike! 馃榿
Can you post a link to that @ChiefGunner? I would love to see it!!
Thanks!

Registered
Indeed, that is very well written Sir! I noticed that the article claims a standard 5 year Yamaha warranty making me wonder how old the article is. A buddy just grabbed a new left over SVTC Transcontinental (he simply could not pass up the deal of under 20 grand) and it appears his came with a standard 1 year factory warranty and an additional Star 4 year extended service contract. Maybe dropping part of the actual 5 year factory warranty as mentioned in the article was part of the reason he got such a super deal..
At any rate though, he DEFINITELY got a lot of motorcycle for the money cause it is GORGEOUS!!
The warranty has always been a one year factory warranty and four year yes warranty from the start, there has never been a five year factory warranty.

You can even buy an additional four year yes warranty on top of that for a total of nine years of warranty. I know the electronics are included in the first four years of the yes warranty but I don't know if they would continue to be covered under the additional four years of yes warranty that you purchased which would cover the motorcycle for years 6, 7, 8 and 9. Electronics are something that if they are going to fail they normally will fail quickly into their life span and if they are ok they will last for many years so I doubt years 6 through 9 are that important on the electronics but you would be covered for all the major mechanical components.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yep...while waiting for ours...must have been viewed like you, at least...20-100 times, lol! It made the waiting for notice from the dealer, less painful! :)

Registered
The warranty has always been a one year factory warranty and four year yes warranty from the start, there has never been a five year factory warranty.

You can even buy an additional four year yes warranty on top of that for a total of nine years of warranty. I know the electronics are included in the first four years of the yes warranty but I don't know if they would continue to be covered under the additional four years of yes warranty that you purchased which would cover the motorcycle for years 6, 7, 8 and 9. Electronics are something that if they are going to fail they normally will fail quickly into their life span and if they are ok they will last for many years so I doubt years 6 through 9 are that important on the electronics but you would be covered for all the major mechanical components.
Very true concerning the warranty Bill. As a a matter of fact, you can go in at any time before the 5 yrs expires and have the bike inspected and get the additional 4 years.

Registered
I purchased the additional four years of YES warranty when I purchased my Star Venture Transcontinental so I am covered for nine years, 1 year factory warranty, followed by the included 4 years of YES warranty for five years of included warranty followed 4 more years of YES warranty that I purchased when I bought the Star Venture Transcontinental.

Registered
I purchased the additional four years of YES warranty when I purchased my Star Venture Transcontinental so I am covered for nine years, 1 year factory warranty, followed by the included 4 years of YES warranty for five years of included warranty followed 4 more years of YES warranty that I purchased when I bought the Star Venture Transcontinental.
OR you could do as you did and get it at the time of purchase. 馃榿. Either way, it IS available.

Registered
It will be interesting to watch as the SVTC matures to see what kind of repairs pop up. One of the reasons I bought the SVTC (the amazing ride and features was the main point), was that I had over 15 years on my 2003 V-Star 1100 without a single repair. I also had 2 TTR-250s during that time which never needed a thing fixed. I have immense trust in Yamaha's quality. Now I know the V-Star was a simpler bike and had zero high-tech gadgetry. But my first inclination is to say I don't need to pay to cover something that's not going to ever break. The good thing is that I'll have 5 years to get a good feel for how well built it is. I guess it is still relatively cheap insurance though - I can only imagine the cost to repair of some of the systems on this bike. Hopefully members here will keep us all informed of problems and issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It will be interesting to watch as the SVTC matures to see what kind of repairs pop up. One of the reasons I bought the SVTC (the amazing ride and features was the main point), was that I had over 15 years on my 2003 V-Star 1100 without a single repair. I also had 2 TTR-250s during that time which never needed a thing fixed. I have immense trust in Yamaha's quality. Now I know the V-Star was a simpler bike and had zero high-tech gadgetry. But my first inclination is to say I don't need to pay to cover something that's not going to ever break. The good thing is that I'll have 5 years to get a good feel for how well built it is. I guess it is still relatively cheap insurance though - I can only imagine the cost to repair of some of the systems on this bike. Hopefully members here will keep us all informed of problems and issues.
Another fella just had a second failure of the cam face/flat H.L. face...

....I think the most IMPORTANT thing we SVTC/Eluder owners need to focus on...is the engine's life's blood...the oil...the quality, top-tier...and that whatever brand of synth, you decide upon...you MUST find out, and be totally aware of the amounts of two additives:

1.ZDDP

2. Ester

Those two additive elements, is what will have a SVTC/Eluder owner running thousands of miles past the rear axle, and not have one issue with the valve-train mechanisms of the engine.

The three choices so far in my research has been, for a strong dual element of the aforementioned anti wear, friction reducing elements, is

No specific order here...as preference:

YamaLube Full Synthetic 15W50, with Ester (as advertised upon the bottle label)

Redline Full Synthetic 10W40/20W50

Royal Purple Max Cycle Full Synthetic 10W40/20W50 ,also containing in quantity, (with their Synerlec package) the two anti-wear additives.

With the latest failure I have read about...I am now leaning towards continuing with what is presently in my SVTC, that being Yamaha's own YamaLube Full Synthetic, 15W50. While the bike comes with their YamaLube mineral 10W40 upon delivery and for break-in, I called Yamaha Canada and asked what they recommend for usage with this bike, around the Great Lakes region of the continent, and without hesitation, they said the YamaLube 15W50 with Ester, was the only one fully recommended for usage with the 113 C.I. by the tech rep I was speaking with. I have the whole Winter to decide, but...I don't want any problems...I don't want my bike sitting in the shop. I want my bike under us...taking us to the mountains states of the grand ole, US, next season. The voice in my ear...is whispering YamaLube 15W50, (large smile....)!

I bought a whole truck load (on sale, great price...) of the Royal Purple Max Cycle 10W40, as that was my intention a few months ago, to exclusively run with...but now, might just use it for my 2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S, which DOES warrant a 10W40 viscosity as the year-round, recommenced viscosity. So, no loss there... I guess, that I am typing that I am now spooked, about one more account of SVTC's cam's eating the bottom side of the flat H.L face. Two valves...HUGE valves...heavy duty springs...and some oils that owners are deciding to go with...is apparently, ain't doing the 'trick'.... BTW, yes..the SVTC manual says that you can run with a 10W40 viscosity, before American (Bill) comes and posts that you can...yes, you can ( I'm heading him off at the Pass, lol :) ) ...but what was told to me, to answer my question, was that a 15/20-50 viscosity blend will give the most protection to cover all the months of the riding season for their engine which is an Air/Oil/Oil cooler/Outboard oil tank, cooling design. Makes sense to this guy...

Yamaha would have to know, (their engineers...?!?!?!?!?) the push up pressure P.S.I. that the cam face would bear against the H.L. face, in their design...so their most premium oil, would have to have a cross spectral additive package that would assure no damaging wear is encountered. Sooooo...I might just play 'safe', and go with their own premium brand for the SVTC. Who knows...perhaps as one chap I am in conversation with, suggests that perhaps, there is an engine re-design (now in the silence and background) to address this repeatable issue, and they are going with roller-bearing lifters, and that could be the reason for a passing of the 2019 model year...and if that IS the case...hopefully, they would have a general re-call of all 2018 models, to retrofit the new valve train components, to end this bugaboo permanently. We'll have to see... Yamaha is keeping total silence, so ours thoughts for now, is like wind through the tree tops....

Yes, I already hear the replies...that you can use whatever oil you want...and that they have to honor the warranty, yes, yes, yes....but my response...is that I don't want my wife and I sitting on the side of the road, or not sitting on the bike at all, because it is being 'warranty honored'...

Just my thoughts upon the matter, in type... ;)

The bottom line though...is that every owner of an SVTC, must use the best oil, from a manufacturer that has a high ZDDP/Ester count in their blend formula. That's the 'bottom line' as I see it, anyway...and will act upon for myself and my bike...

Cheers,

Joe

Registered
Another fella just had a second failure of the cam face/flat H.L. face...

....I think the most IMPORTANT thing we SVTC/Eluder owners need to focus on...is the engine's life's blood...the oil...the quality, top-tier...and that whatever brand of synth, you decide upon...you MUST find out, and be totally aware of the amounts of two additives:

1.ZDDP

2. Ester

Those two additive elements, is what will have a SVTC/Eluder owner running thousands of miles past the rear axle, and not have one issue with the valve-train mechanisms of the engine.

Just my thoughts upon the matter, in type... ;)

The bottom line though...is that every owner of an SVTC, must use the best oil, from a manufacturer that has a high ZDDP/Ester count in their blend formula. That's the 'bottom line' as I see it, anyway...and will act upon for myself and my bike...

Cheers,

Joe
I was reading about another valve train failure too my friend. This is from that same thread at the Victory forums I had passed on to you (there is some other information in that thread concerning your other thread too, another biker brother apparently did some digging on the "will there be a '19" question" - I will post that info in that thread of yours just to keep things organized for anyone trying to follow all this after work chit chat). What I read does not sound like an oil issue. I am by no means a mechanic, you probably should read this and decide for yourself. Here is the report I am speaking of:
From that Victory forum:
'''I really do not know that I can say that Oldman. I got really spoiled by the durability of our Vic's (and getting there with my Wing too now) and, even with the few Star Ventures that Yamaha was able to sell at way reduced prices after the delay of initial release caused by mechanical issues that were supposedly resolved, there are some major design flaw issues ongoingly being reported.
There are numerous reports of what I am referring to but here is a recent report from an ex-Yamaha Dealership off a Yamaha pay site that I just found:
""I started noticing more top end clatter checked valve clearance found front cylinder lifters not pumped up. pulled lifters found intake lifter scored along with cam lobe.
Intake lifter not turning in bore. yamaha replaced cams and lifters noise was still there. Is back apart and by the pattern on lifters the same lifter is not turning.
The bike has 6600 miles I have a small Yamaha dealership but do not sell bikes anymore. Have been working on bikes for 30 years.""

Couple that with all the ride reports of how hot these new bikes run (if you haven't ridden one and get a chance to, you may be surprised at how the big difference between your Victory Motorcycle experience and this thing - they can be one hot machine) , I am still not convinced that we are not dealing with a decent platform for replacing the mighty V-Twin Victory!

Registered

Registered
Sounds more like improper break-in of the new cam and lifters. If the cam was not properly lubed and run at a certain RPM for approximately 20 minutes they could have damaged the cam and lifter upon start up at which point the cam and lifter are done before they even got started.

Lonestar where are you getting this engine runs hot? That is the farthest thing from the truth, I don't even think about engine heat.

As for on going design flaws, there were what three bikes that had a cam lifter failure? Do you really want to me to dig up the engine, transmission failures on Victory's?

Do you have sales numbers that no one else can find? No one knows how many Star Ventures/Eluders have been sold.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds more like improper break-in of the new cam and lifters. If the cam was not properly lubed and run at a certain RPM for approximately 20 minutes they could have damaged the cam and lifter upon start up at which point the cam and lifter are done before they even got started.

Lonestar where are you getting this engine runs hot? That is the farthest thing from the truth, I don't even think about engine heat.

As for on going design flaws, there were what three bikes that had a cam lifter failure? Do you really want to me to dig up the engine, transmission failures on Victory's?

Do you have sales numbers that no one else can find? No one knows how many Star Ventures/Eluders have been sold.
Good point, Bill...that could be true. Also, the choice of oil, whether bargain basement, or premium, whether mineral or cat 5 synth...can make all the difference to our valve train, and continued care-free miles. I think a lot that the rider does, or does not, plays much with owning an SVTC. Even the step-by-step of properly adding oil to the engine sump, and out-board oil tank, can also affect one's ownership outcome. I have run YamaLube 15W50 full synth with Ester since the 600 mile oil swap out...and have sat over a quiet, strong, and mechanically error free ride. I think that I will stay with that oil permanently. It covers all the months and ambient temperatures I would encounter..locally at home, and within any state I would visit while on tour...even Death Valley, if we wish. Done deal...I'll use the Royal Purple 10W40 Max Cycle in my Kawa....it will love that...lol!

Can't wait for April...and no salt dust on the road....

Idaho, and surrounding States...here------>we------>come for '19.....

Registered

SIC EM Bill! Give em hell! 馃槈

Registered

I think you guys may be misreading my post (maybe a quick reread of that post above would help explain this to you?) and what you are referring to here was the copy/paste from a thread in a Victory Motorcycle forum that Mr. Excellence and I have been following (the thread where he and I have been chatting about this can be found here and there is a link to the Victory site that I was referrencing here too - https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/130-venture-eluder/115752-let-me-introduce-one-model-year-wonder-lol.html . Again, from the point where I wrote "From that Victory forum:" and any thing after that in the post you are talking about was a copy/paste and definitely not something I had written as I have never owned/ridden a Victory to compare anything to.
My wife and I did have the honor of spending a weekend on an SVTC and my thoughts on the heat level was that it definitely was hot in stop and go traffic in 80 degree temps, but not something that was not rideable. Perhaps on 90 degree days or hotter, when we would not be on a motorcycle anyways, it would be a deal breaker for us cause no one really likes to get burned but for our style of riding, the heat was not that bad. For crying out loud, there is great big air cooled V-twin engine sitting right between your legs!!:wink::laugh:

Registered

I think you guys may be misreading my post (maybe a quick reread of that post above would help explain this to you?) and what you are referring to here was the copy/paste from a thread in a Victory Motorcycle forum that Mr. Excellence and I have been following (the thread where he and I have been chatting about this can be found here and there is a link to the Victory site that I was referrencing here too - https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/130-venture-eluder/115752-let-me-introduce-one-model-year-wonder-lol.html . Again, from the point where I wrote "From that Victory forum:" and any thing after that in the post you are talking about was a copy/paste and definitely not something I had written as I have never owned/ridden a Victory to compare anything to.
My wife and I did have the honor of spending a weekend on an SVTC and my thoughts on the heat level was that it definitely was hot in stop and go traffic in 80 degree temps, but not something that was not rideable. Perhaps on 90 degree days or hotter, when we would not be on a motorcycle anyways, it would be a deal breaker for us cause no one really likes to get burned but for our style of riding, the heat was not that bad. For crying out loud, there is great big air cooled V-twin engine sitting right between your legs!!/forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png/forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png
I hear ya Lonestar. I was just 鈥渢easing鈥, or did you not see the 鈥渨ink鈥 emoji I put there?
I did follow what you guys were talking about and what was posted at the other blog. Have been there myself reading the discussions.

Registered
I just want to point out that the Yamaha 1854 cc V-Twin has been around since 2006 and was a clean sheet of paper design when it was first introduced.

There were some updates to this engine for the Star Venture/Eluder, one of the biggest being addition of a sixth gear in the transmission.

The point is this engine has been around for 12 years and it does not have a history of cam/lifter problems.

Yamaha had some kind of issue that delayed the release of the Venture/Eluder for approximately six months and effected the first 500 motorcycles off the assembly line. Those bikes were held at the factory when the issue was discovered and corrected at the factory before shipping them to dealers. Now what was the problem is a guess, one person reported they talked to a Yamaha representative at a Yamaha Demo Ride event when the bike was first introduced and was told it was a gasket alignment problem that resulted in the engines leaking oil. The issue was corrected on the assembly line and the first 500 bikes were corrected before being shipped for sale to dealers.

There is also a report that the bikes were shipped back to the factory for a control module and that was the problem.

I tend to believe the first explanation as I just don't see the need to return the bikes back to the factory for a control module, that is something that is an easy fix at the dealer level.

The first explanation would require the engine to be worked on to repair the stated oil leak, that is a repair that is better done at the factory level since it was caught before the bikes were shipped and if it required the engines to be removed and the cases split to replace a gasket that was misaligned during initial assembly I could see where the cam/lifter issues may have resulted from.

Once the engines had been initially run if the engines were split and the lifters removed they would have already started the wear in process with a cam lobe, so if during the tear down and reassembly the lifters were not put back into the same location with the same cam lobe you could end up with cam lobe failure/lifter failure.

We know of three engines that have suffered this issue but I doubt it is an on going problem from the assembly line once they corrected the initial problem, the 500 units that were held and repaired may be where the three units that have experienced this cam/lifter issue came from.

The problem is we don't know the serial number sequence of the 500 held bikes.

This engines long term history does not indicate that it has an issue with cam/lifter failure as it was a clean sheet design and has been in production in its basic form since at least 2006 or 12 years.

The guy who says he has had two cam/lifter failures gives very little information from what I can find. One post in September and a post in November claiming the same problem, that indicated to me it may likely be improper break-in and being a flat tappet style cam/hydraulic lifter it was damaged at start up.

There was another person who said they lost a cam/lifter early but it was fixed and I have heard or seen no other posts from that owner.

The only other cam/lifter failure I know about was the poster on this forum and his failure occurred around the 10,000 mile mark but was fixed and has operated without incident since putting around 6,000 miles on the engine after the cam/lifter replacement, that mileage may be higher now.

My engine ran Yamalube 10w-40 conventional oil the first 1,000 miles, the factory fill for the first 600 miles and the first oil change was changed 400 miles later to flush wear-in metals at which time the engine, cam and lifters should have been broken-in. I put in Redline 20w-50 motorcycle oil at the 1,000 mile mark and ran that oil for 2,999 miles to the 3,999 mile mark.

The oil was changed at the 3,999 mile mark and Yamalube 15w-50 full synthetic was supposed to be used, I ran that oil for 1,342 miles and did not like it, for all I know the dealer put in Yamalube 20w-50 conventional oil so I changed it at 5,341 miles and put in Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil and ran that for 2,659 miles to the 8,000 mile mark and changed the oil again using Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil and ran that oil the full 4,000 miles to the 12,000 mile mark where I changed the oil and again used Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil.

The reason I don't think the dealer put in Yamalube 15w-40 is because they said it would be an up charge for the full synthetic and they did not up charge me. I think they used Yamalube 20w-50 conventional oil instead.

I posted my Blackstone Lab report on the last oil change and the Redline 10w-40 returned great wear numbers for the 1854 CC Yamaha engine beating the universal averages for this engine.

Here is some information on cams from Summit Racing:

The Summit Racing tech department tackles your automotive-related conundrums. This week, we鈥檙e discussing common causes of camshaft failure and what you can do to prevent it.

Q: What causes a camshaft to fail?

A: We鈥檝e gotten that question (or something very similar) a lot. We鈥檝e also heard a lot of questions about camshaft installation and break-in procedure. Since proper installation and break-in go hand-in-hand with camshaft success or failure, we鈥檝e decided to tackle it all in one post. In conjunction with the Summit Racing tech department, we鈥檝e assembled the eight most common causes of camshaft failure:

1. Lobe wear

Lobe wear is often caused by improper lubrication during installation.

Use only the manufacturer recommended lubricant, which is generally included with the cam. This lubricant must be applied to every cam lobe surface, and to the bottom of every lifter face of all flat tappet cams. Roller tappet cams only require engine oil to be applied to the lifters and cam.

Also, apply the lubricant to the distributor drive gears on the cam and distributor.

2. Improper Break-In

After the correct break-in lubricant is applied to the cam and lifters, fill the crankcase with fresh, non-synthetic oil. Use motor oil with an engine break-in additive (ZDDP or ZINC camshaft additive), especially with flat tappet camshafts.

Prime the oil system with a priming tool and an electric drill so that all oil passages and the oil filter are full. Preset the ignition timing and prime the fuel system. Fill the cooling system. Start the engine, run it between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm, varying the rpm up and down in this range for 20 minutes. During break-in, verify that the pushrods are rotating, as this will show that the lifters are also rotating. If the lifters don鈥檛 rotate, the cam lobe and lifter will fail. Sometimes you may need to help spin the pushrod to start the rotation process.

3. Old Lifters with a New Cam

You can use new lifters on a good used cam, but never pair used lifters with a new cam.

If you are removing a good used flat tappet cam and lifters and are planning to use them again in the same (or another) engine, you must keep the lifters in the order they were removed from the cam they were on. Lifters 鈥渕ate鈥 to their specific lobes and can鈥檛 be changed. If the used lifters get mixed up, discard them, install a new set of lifters, and break in the cam again.

4. Incorrect Valve Spring Pressure

Never install valve springs without verifying the correct assembled height and pressures. Recommended valve spring pressures are as follows:

Street-type flat tappet cams: 85-105 pounds
Radical street flat tappet cams: 105-130 pounds
Street-type hydraulic roller cams: 105-140 pounds
Mechanical street roller cams: no more than 150 pounds
Race roller cams with high valve lift and spring pressure are not recommended for street use, because of a lack of oil splash onto the cam at low speed running. Springs must be assembled to the manufacturer鈥檚 recommended height.

Registered
I hear ya Loenstar. I was just 鈥渢easing鈥, or did you not see the 鈥渨ink鈥 emoji I put there?
I did follow why you guys were talking about and what was posted at the other blog. Have been there myself reading the discussions.
Actually Chief, I did not know you were teasing. There was not and still is not a a wink emoji like this """ :wink: """ in your post to me at all. I think we may have found a computer function type error on one of our computers here. Are you referring to the last line in your post that I copy/paste here: """ SIC EM Bill! Give em hell! 馃槈 ""? If so and if you see a :wink: in there the problem with the miscommunications here are between our computers. What I see are the words = SIC EM Bill! and Give em hell! and then a series of symbols that read (and I will add a "*" in between the symbols to separate them in case your computer is producing a :wink: when the symbols are not separated): & * # * x * 1 * f * 6 * 0 * 9 * ;
Something really odd going on here :wink: (and you should see a wink at the end of that sentence?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts