Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately i discovered i have this annoying whining noise during deceleration, does anyone know why?
It is not from the middle drive shaft, but from engine. Hard to know where, but i hear it mostly from the front

Seems like the engine are to "tight", if ya'll know..

I got good pro oil on bike, adjusted clutch, newly adjusted valves and so on.
Most annoying.. hope it is not serious stuff

V-star'04 1100 classic

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just throwing this out there but is it your front brake? Mine makes a whining/whistling kinda annoying noise.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The gears are loud on V Stars due to how they mesh. I have noticed it quite a bit on my 650. I have come to the conclusion that mainly "seems to happen on deceleration" because the sound isn't competing with my pipes to be heard. In fact they're just always loud on my bike. Nothing is actually wrong.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gears are loud on V Stars due to how they mesh. I have noticed it quite a bit on my 650. I have come to the conclusion that mainly "seems to happen on deceleration" because the sound isn't competing with my pipes to be heard. In fact they're just always loud on my bike. Nothing is actually wrong.
I know there are a lot of loud noises on v-stars, its like a crazy fabric between my legs ;) Valvs, gears, clanking and shifting...
Almost missing my Honda hehe.. ;)

I bought this engine oil from Motul, Technosynthese
Could that have something to say? Should i change oil?
Dealer highly recommended it

·
Registered
167 Posts
I thought the whirring noise was normal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if i should lube up the uni-joint/gearbox where the drive shaft goes in?
It is total dry there

Like fill it up with half a tube, or ..?
Seems like this bike never had paste there..never.
Or just the around the uni-joint, and where the shaft goes in?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/maintenance-repairsclik on drive shaft its under maintence i dont know why i have trouble linkin up:D
Yeah, did as described there. But was unsure if i should fill up with moly paste around the uni-joint, or just where the shaft goes in.
Well, anyhow, i did put some stuff around there, all the way into the brass colored gear, and cleaned, and lubed all parts, and mounted it.
But now it is kinda hard to roll in neutral.
I did the torque as in the manual, but suspect i did torque the axle nut to hard. will loosen, and try to get to 23Nm again :)

Hopefully the whining noise now are gone :)
I can now see how important it is to keep and eye on this. And all the bragging that "all u have to do is to change gear oil and thats it" from ol shaft drivers in the past... just cus i drove chain before :D

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
you dont need to fill with grease its hard to reach i just put on the splines,if you grease it everytime you change the tire your doing the right thing.there is a sequence to follow reinstalling the rear wheel i wish i had a torque wrench the axel nut is the one i worry about i think you can get it too tight and cause bearing problems,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you dont need to fill with grease its hard to reach i just put on the splines,if you grease it everytime you change the tire your doing the right thing.there is a sequence to follow reinstalling the rear wheel i wish i had a torque wrench the axel nut is the one i worry about i think you can get it too tight and cause bearing problems,
Then i'll bet i put the long spacer (Collar), (that fell out when taken of the wheel) the wrong place. I have not taken the bike out get, so i will double check again today. Since i did not see it fell out, the only logical space i found for it was inside the final drive.. guess thats was wrong :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Solved.
I opened my wife vstar1100 ;) Used it as "manual. All put together as i should be
Phu ;) great to have the right tools for once. Seems for me as good investment

this is the collar i was wondering about. I cannot find any other place for it. That was the only part i did not had a eye on when taking of the wheel and and greases up the final drive

As we see here, (at picture 3) it does not goes total way down, but leaves a 2-3 mm on the top.
Can someone confirm this is right?
I looked through other pics here on the forum, and for me, it seems ok, expect the topping there. Shouldn't it be leveled as the "floor" inside the gear?
And i could not find anything alike it in the parts catalog, except number 43 on the top of this picture under here (but that looks short)

The bad rolling in neutral was brake pads hanging ;) so maybe the wheel check i do know was a waist of time?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts