Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get kind of a high metal whinning/whirring noise when i let off the throttle or downshift and let of the clutch. It doesn't sound like metal to metal but more something almost mosquitoish. If your a Star Trek fan the noise from The Wink of eye is what it kind of sounds like. If i let off the throttle I hear it and then grab the clutch its gone but downshift and let off the clutch there it is again. Kind of sound like pressure on something from the left side maybe front drive belt pullyish. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My strat makes the same noise. Don't know what it is,hasn't got any louder. I just keep pouring the coal to it and it keeps taking me down the road. Sorry I was no help but I think it's a normal noise.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Noise

Dont know if you blokes have emergency flashers on your bikes but if i turn mine on noise gets louder so i reckon its the gen/alternator...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Could be what he posted above... Alternator does do lil sound changes I hear it. When I switch passing lights on and off. But only when sitting still can't hear anything when moving...lol...
Other could be belt tension, that can give you whines when either lil bit out of alignment, or tension changes. check them if its not the alternator. I like to have my bike up on cycle jack and spin the tire forward and backward. Too see if it is moving from side to side in pulley then I know out of align.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whining noise

My '07 Strat makes a noise like this and I always thought it was either wind rushing through the spoked aluminum wheels under certain conditions or harmonics. I've also considered the rear wheel bearing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whining noise

I think I figured it out, it's probably the wind whistling through my ears when I'm not wearing a helmet...
I did find a cure, install a set of Cobra Longshot exhaust pipes, drowns it right out...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My 1100 makes the exact same noise. It gets louder the faster i go. Then... just as i hit 88mph the flux capacitor lights up and then there's a very bright flashing and then...oops...wrong thread :eek:

·
Registered
127 Posts
YES!!! Had the same thing and dealer couldn't find it. Front drive belt pulley came loose. The drive pulley nut will back off and the drive pulley becomes loose. It will tweek a little bit and cause a grinding noise. Very easy to check. Remove the cover over the drive pulley. Inspect the nut and pulley. The repair manual states you have to replace the nut when removed. You can clean the inside threads of the nut and clean the threads on the shaft, then apply blue locktite when you reassemble. Torque is 100 ft lbs. and you also stake the nut. You will see two flats on the shaft. After you torque, stake the nut on both flats. Happy Riding!!:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
When the drive pulley gets loose, you can feel it when sitting still checking belt tension. Tug it side to side. but best... when like me dumb hands, take that front pulley cover off and you will be able to see it as well as push pulley in and out.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
396 Posts
Stator noise

Dont know if you blokes have emergency flashers on your bikes but if i turn mine on noise gets louder so i reckon its the gen/alternator...
Not sure if this is it but i read about people putting in HID lighting and the light didnt draw enough and this causes the stator to make a strange noise. i also get a high pitch sound. my brother jokes i have a turbo. NOW MOST IMPORTANT. Is the sound when you are in third gear??? 3rd gear has gone out on other bikes and mine is one of them. it is going out again. put your hand on the final drive cover in third gear, go 30 mph and then slightly accelerate. does it feel smooth as silk or like there are crunching rocks in the case. i think you'll find its just the normal sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts