Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '08 last August and only have a couple thousand miles on it, but would like to change the tires. It may seem weird to some, but I think white wall tires would look great on the roadliner/stratoliner. Problem is I can't find anything in the size I need. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to look?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
White walls

I searched and could not find whitewalled tires in a size for the Liner. I don't think our tire size is very common. When I first bought my liner I actually had to wait for the first set of tires to come in. As more bikes are sold more options become available.

Dave

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've been looking for whitewalls since i decided that i was buying a liner and no luck yet:( , if anyone finds them PLEEEEAAASE let me know I must have them.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Try typing "whitewall motorcycle tires" into google. I just did and found page after page of places.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My Bad! I just looked up the tire size and I'm searchin now no luck. Didn't realize you liner guys ran car size tires. LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I gave up hope of finding them so I made some. I ordered two different rubberized whitewall paint kits on ebay. They mention street rods and such for the use but I tried it on my 'liner. It took a few days and several coats but the end results looks good. I really love the retro look of the WW. I noticed that after a few weeks the color has kinda changed from white to ivory. Not sure if it's road dust/grime or an actual color change. Still looks good, IMHO. This is from the one product, haven't tried the other but it sounds like the same stuff. I've gotten quite a few compliments on the look.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I gave up hope of finding them so I made some. I ordered two different rubberized whitewall paint kits on ebay. They mention street rods and such for the use but I tried it on my 'liner. It took a few days and several coats but the end results looks good. I really love the retro look of the WW. I noticed that after a few weeks the color has kinda changed from white to ivory. Not sure if it's road dust/grime or an actual color change. Still looks good, IMHO. This is from the one product, haven't tried the other but it sounds like the same stuff. I've gotten quite a few compliments on the look.
If you can post a couple of pics that would be great. I'd love to see what they look like.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When everything was said and done, I ended up with two 12-16oz cans of whitewall paint. One seller describes it as a elastomeric polymer. One seller was from Anoka, Mn and the other from Ft. Dodge, Ia. The latter is only a hour away, but arrived last. I used the one from Anoka, but it's possible the are the same type of paint.
Just so you all know, the brightness of the white has slowly faded to an ivory color. Looks like dust/dirt but I washed them and it's still a darker shade than the first couple of weeks. The paint itself looks as if it still adhering to the sidewall with no problem. I think they still look much better than stock.
In the next few weeks I'll either put on another coat or try the second can of paint.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
white wall

Way back in the 50's-60's if a old boy wonted his ride to look good:rolleyes: He had a set SPATS, that is right "spats" they where wide white rubber ring's that were put between the tire and the rim:eek:
With today's know how you would think that some would have a set for motorcycles :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
That looks awesome!!! I asked the dealer when I bought my strat if I could get white walls on it. but the answer was they don't make them. I always thought he was being lazy and didn't want to look them up. but I guess they don't make them. but what you did is perfect. Thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.