Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V Star 1100 Custom
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came across this YouTube video
For a while I thought ‘twas a metric cruiser, on closer inspection- is probably a Harley Heritage. Wondering if anybody’s done the Tail of the Dragon and could share their experience here ?

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
1,026 Posts
There was a topic going about TotD last year. The cause of that crash was almost certainly a rider lacking skills, going above is comfort pace, getting scared and suffering target fixation.

Here is one who manage it at a very slow pace, riding a Yamaha MT-01

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Came across this YouTube video
For a while I thought ‘twas a metric cruiser, on closer inspection- is probably a Harley Heritage. Wondering if anybody’s done the Tail of the Dragon and could share their experience here ?
That was impressive team work. To have the troopers help with their patrol vehicle like they did and listen to commands being shouted at them, I can only wonder if it was one of their own. The entire road shut down for this....Odd. I hope everyone involved was ok. Not sure if we just saw the bike recovery aftermath and didn’t see the ambulance but I hope this was just a bike recovery.
Also most looks like that bike was still drivable.
I have been on this road many times and have many videos but my best road still the Cherohala Skyway which is basically the same area.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I've driven it in a car, never on a bike. Had a supervisor went with a group to ride it, one guy in the group was complaining they were going too slow so took off (with his wife on the back) alone from a rest break. The group came upon the wreck about 30 minutes later. Both rider and passenger were killed. My boss was shook up about for a couple of months, they weren't close friends but it still shook him up pretty bad.

Reactions: Mbhang and Boog

·
Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
I’ve ridden it 4 times and Monica five times.
It’s lost its luster because it’s turned into a raceway for bikes and cars.
THP and Sevier County Sheriffs department have upped their patrol on it because of the reckless driving. There are pull offs for the faster vehicles to pass, but it’s important that you ride your own ride and at your own pace.
The Skyway to me is a lot better riding on a cruiser. If you’re a MotoGp wannabe, then ride the dragon, and make sure your life insurance is good.
The agency’s that respond to wrecks on the dragon have extensive training because of the terrain and deep drop off’s. There’s quite a few bears up there so they have to watch their backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,769 Posts
TotD is a fun ride until the jerks come along and ruin it. There are many other roads around that area every bit as fun and less traveled. Less police too much of the time.

It seems the bike was in gear here, I wonder if that is true. The front tire digging in at the top reinforces this idea.

Also, why did they just ride that hog up that hill? They would have in South Dakota... ;)

·
Registered
928 Posts
We rode it last year with Monica and it was ok, best advice ride your ride and don’t worry about the bike/car behind you. As soon as we got off the mountain and on the straightaway at the bottom we were passed by the bike behind me but I didn’t care. I enjoyed the Skyway more from a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You mean like this
Now I got to go ride the tail again after seeing that. I guess I know what my plan is in a few weeks.
Clearly that dude knew his bike and road. I noticed he was part of 129 photos which takes photos of everyone on the tail that you can purchase.
Here is one from the Dragon Tail.
and one for the Cherohala Skyway.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,524 Posts
I road it with the Vstar Forum Gathering group. We went during middle of week and traffic wasn't an issue. I actually liked the Cherohala Skyway much better, nicer views, nice sweeping curves and smoother road. We left plenty of room between each other in order to enjoy your own ride. I would definitely do it again. Here's a short video with @Toymaker leading the way and @PI.GIRL right in front of me.

Here's the group that went.

But my favorite is The Twisted Sisters in Texas. If you Google best motorcycle roads, the Dragon is normally first and Twisted Sisters is second. The Twisted Sisters has many more blind curves and elevation changes where you can see the road in front of you. I didn't go this year so don't have good video. Here's one my wife took.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I rode it 3 times in July of 2019
Did you photoshop yourself on my bike again. hehehe....
Nice pictures. Like the sparks.....👍
And what is that Red thing behind the right passenger footrest? Just curious.
Do you live close by, if so we will have to meet up...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you photoshop yourself on my bike again. hehehe....
Nice pictures. Like the sparks.....👍
And what is that Red thing behind the right passenger footrest? Just curious.
Do you live close by, if so we will have to meet up...
You caught me LOL. Thanks. That's just the cover for my battery tender. I live in broke Illinois!!!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Every time I see videos or hear from people who have ridden The Dragon, all of those things involve wrecks and crowded roads. The Three Twisted Sisters on, on the other hand have never been crowded, except during the Thunder in the Hills Rally, and in the four time I have ridden these roads I have known of only one crash. Not saying that there hasn't been many more. I can also tell you that If you want great riding without overcrowded roads and with both sweeping and blind mountain curves, I recommend the roads of Northwest Arkansas and Southwest Missouri. The roads around Eureka Springs and Branson Missouri are motorcyclist gold. Just beware that when the sun sets, the deer come out and wander about.

·
Registered
2007 XVS1300 Blue and basic
38 Posts
I have been down the dragon three times in my SSR truck and it is very crowded. I always feel I am in the way of some of the guys doing speed laps. I have seen so many cross the line on right-hand turns it is scary coming back up not knowing if one will be in your lane.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,524 Posts
A few interesting facts about the Dragon:

Couldn't find web site stats on Twisted Sisters, but these two signs are posted on two of the four Ranch Roads the make up the Twisted Sisters. I took these pictures in 2018.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've gone down to Eureka Springs AR a couple times now for a Road Star Clinic meet and greet. It has been a lot of fun and some great roads to ride. I wouldn't mind checking out the Dragon or Twisted Sisters at some point. But the guy in the video is the kind that would take the enjoyment out of it for me. I'm not a speed demon. I want to enjoy the ride and not worry about what other cars or bikes are doing that might impact my safety.

My first thought when I see that video is I don't want to happen upon the aftermath. Two years ago one of the riders in our group in front of me went down. Standing on a shoulder waiting for an ambulance is a great way to ruin an otherwise fine motorcycling day. Last year we happened upon a downed bike. It brought back those same chills of seeing the rider in front of me sliding off the road. I want to enjoy my ride, but I'm not trying to test my limits.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts