Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay have given my wife a ride when we tested the bike, daughter on a few different rides, my son to school. Today took the wife on a 20 mile ride. Slowing down to turn pullin g the clutch in and let off the gas, it felt like it weasn't running-let the clutch out and it did restart so it had died. Pulled to the stop sign and it died again according to the RPM's so I hit the starter fired right up. Keep it running to home by pumping the throttle. Got to the garage it died. Then took the helmets off and the wife got off looked a little bit and sarted it and the idle RPM's stayed up. WHAT is going on going for a short tester ride by self right now.

Thanks for help!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Idle

Couple of guesses,

This time of year we hear a lot about bad gas after setting all winter.

Check the TPS. (Throttle Position Sensor.)

Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ride went well

I went for a short ride and it went great no problems of stalling or dying. Now the wife thinks its her NO WAY.

What is the gas people use should it be only 91 I went to a station that didn't have 91 was 87 I think.

And help me with the TPS what and where THANKS!!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Stalling

From the Liner Wiki here is and article on stalling.

http://www.fxstein.com/blog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=47&blogId=1

The throttle position sensor is a varilable resistor that tells the Electronic control unit what the throttle position is. Is located on the throttle body under the tank. Here is a link to a service manual. Adjusting the TPS is on page 6-12 and checking it is on page 7-89.

Hopefully you only had a fuel probelm an it is OK. Sounds like the worst would be out of adjustment since it is now working. I don't hear much about TPS problems.

I have never had the stalling problem. But have seen some comments by a few on stalling at near idle speed. I guess I would leave the idle adjusting screw alone unless it becomes a problem since the idle is actually controlled by the ECU. I think that adjustment takes it up untill it starts to override the ECU.

The Liner Wiki is.

http://www.linerwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Dave

·
Registered
67 Posts
Some people have complained about the clutch switch effecting the ECU. Occasionally the engine would die. Normally its just deccel popping that it causes but you could try disconnecting the clutch switch and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lubricating the clutch switch so it properly engages and disengages has remedied it for some and others found the part is cheap enough, so they have just replaced it. It's one of those quirks that are only effecting certain liners but the numbers are growing. Pin pointing the exact cause is suspect, as the TPS has caused similar symtoms on other models but some feel it is more likely the clutch switch is the culprit. Yamaha has done very little about this known issue so people are beginning to petition by filing claims with the NHTSA for a recall as stalling a motorcycle is a saftey concern and the root cause needs to be identified and get fixed immediately.

You've bought a great motorcycle, so don't second guess your decision for a moment. Be patient as this will get sorted out and once resolved you'll find it is the best cruiser around.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A few months after I got my '09 Strat, I was riding by myself on a 2-lane blacktop in Eastern Iowa when the bike lost power, for no reason I could see. It just started slowing down and the road I was on had about a 1 foot gravel shoulder. It didn't seem to be electrical at first, then I decided it was. I was getting ready to call for help when I noticed the cut-off switch had flipped to the off position. I SWEAR I never touched it. I did have gloves on and had driven it at least a thousand miles by then, if not more, so I wasn't a complete greenhorn. It has NEVER happened again. Only thing I can figure out is that the gremlin that did it fell off the bike from laughing at me and I was able get away while it was rolling in the weeds. Watch out for those damned things. Seems like they're EVERYWHERE these days.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A few months after I got my '09 Strat, I was riding by myself on a 2-lane blacktop in Eastern Iowa when the bike lost power, for no reason I could see. It just started slowing down and the road I was on had about a 1 foot gravel shoulder. It didn't seem to be electrical at first, then I decided it was. I was getting ready to call for help when I noticed the cut-off switch had flipped to the off position. I SWEAR I never touched it. I did have gloves on and had driven it at least a thousand miles by then, if not more, so I wasn't a complete greenhorn. It has NEVER happened again. Only thing I can figure out is that the gremlin that did it fell off the bike from laughing at me and I was able get away while it was rolling in the weeds. Watch out for those damned things. Seems like they're EVERYWHERE these days.
You need to have someone get you one of those "Gremlin Bells".

It doesn't work if you buy it yourself. Someone has to buy it for you.

FS

·
Registered
166 Posts
You need to have someone get you one of those "Gremlin Bells".

It doesn't work if you buy it yourself. Someone has to buy it for you.

FS
You got that right....mine has saved me numerous times......

·
Registered
153 Posts
You need to adjust your air fuel screws they are currently 1 3/4 turns to 2 turns out, turn them in till they seat and back them out a full 3 turns, I had the same problem on my 2010 did that and problem seems to be solved.

·
Registered
254 Posts
hey rocknroll, what year bike I know some of the older ones had that stalling issue, but I think gas is most likely the problem. Of course I use marvels mystery oil every few tanks and store it with that during winter. Keeps the system clean and carbon build up clean as well. Plus it doesn't cost much at Walmart, only takes few ounces every few tanks.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
67 Posts
hey rocknroll, what year bike I know some of the older ones had that stalling issue, but I think gas is most likely the problem. Of course I use marvels mystery oil every few tanks and store it with that during winter. Keeps the system clean and carbon build up clean as well. Plus it doesn't cost much at Walmart, only takes few ounces every few tanks.
Ride Safe

You seem to have some knowledge on this issue. I'd like to ask you a question. You say you've never had the problem with stalling and also you use Marvel Mystery oil in your gas tank every couple of tanks or so. I'm curios, because I've had some problems wilth my 2006 strat not wanting to start and some stalling. I only have 6.4K miles on my bike has an older gentleman owned it before me and he didn't drive very much. So it seems to soon to be having problems with stalling and not wanting to start. I have to give it throttle when starting on these occasions. So far adding Red Line motorcycle fuel system cleaner has cleared up the problem. Could the use of mystery oil be keeping your fuel system conditioned so that you dont have the problem?
I also ran my bike all year, so it was never put away for winter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, the knowledge from this issue is only from reading on the forum...lol... mine is 09'. The 06' era bikes seemed to be in the area of the stalling... I have read the many fixes. CO mod kind of thing. Anyway, I like MMO because it seems to work has since I had my RoadStar back in 06. Plus I have used Marvels in all my not used often stuff like lawn mower, generator...etc. The trick with the R* was hitting rev limiter every so often to keep carbon build up out of engine. So I kind of follow that...lol.. Someting with these bikes they don't like it rich, and build up carbon... and run great til they do build up carbon.
The battery in these beasts, just enough to get it to crank. I know during winter was fight to start. So keeping it trickle charged when not in use might help. I've looked at the higher amp batteries, but being summer and using it all the time not getting my cheap a** to spend money on one yet.
Some of the forum reads, low battery was another issue with the ecu and starter not getting enough power to get running quick. With the stalling, I'd try the CO mod and see if you can get idle up, or test run it with the clutch switch unplugged and see if it runs better. Only thing you can't do is start the bike in gear with clutch pulled. Have to put in neutral.
I was in accident in 09, (yep on bike) anyway no brains so not much hurt....lol... got the liner. Read too much on forum(only cause I don't remember but it looks interesting) Still remember the little fixes and old school things from the old days with R* and how to keep it going...
Ask agin if I missed what I was supposed to answer for you...
Ride Safe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts