Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some ideas to break my wife into the motorcycle world. I have been riding since 1989, but she will be a new rider and i want her experience to be a inique and positive one to remember

·
Registered
374 Posts
Is she wanting to ride or passenger? If a rider, get her into a riding class. Let her spend time on a 250cc bike. I made the mistake of buying my wife a VTX 1300, because she thought it was "pretty". Then after riding it around the block a couple of times, she decided it was too big! I tried to steer her towards something a little smaller. But she wouldn't have it. So now I have a 1300 to sell. Bought ready to just sell both bikes and get a Goldwing.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M.

Two things:

1. Have her take the rider safety course

2. Buy her a VTX 1300 to satrt out on, but don't buy it new, look for a used one in Mississippi.

Hey Jim, put the VTX up on CL and go wait by the phone, hurry. :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Tell you what. I'll take it off your hands for you, to save you the frustration and aggravation. I'll even come down and pick it up this weekend if you want. I'd been eyeing the vtx1800, but I'll certainly take good care of a 1300 for you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Don't tempt me... I'd come back to the burning fiery eyes of the fiance asking where the money we're saving for the wedding/dowry is... It'd be really embarrassing to be killed by a 4'9" 95lb woman.
Here lies Jay. *snicker* He was killed by a woman *snicker* roughly the size of a *snicker* hampster. That dumb, dumb, dumb bastard.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm getting a sissy bar for my bike so she can ride on the back, but for now she fits in the saddle bags.

And in what world could a woman that size handle a vtx1300?

·
Registered
374 Posts
LOL! My wife is 5-6 and 130lbs. I kept asking her "are you sure about this bike?". Her answer "yes! It's pretty." and me like a idiot said "ok, where do I sign?"
Mental note to self- never listen to a woman when I know better!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
545 Posts
Mental note to self- never listen to a woman when I know better!
That's not a mental note, that's a tattoo on forehead. But we know how long that will last.....about as long as close to freedom's thread....! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Paddy, I'm a newby wife rider myself and really enjoying it. I started on a V Star Classic about 6 weeks ago and am thinking about upgrading to a 1300 in about 6 months. I took the MSF class (highly recommended!) and got my license about a decade ago but only really started riding on my own in the last month or two. My suggestions to start your wife out riding in a positive way:

1. Patience! Start slow, let her take her time and acclimate. 20mph suddenly feels really fast when you're a new rider! Preferably start on a bike that isn't too precious to be dropped on the ground a few times while she learns. Preferably also somewhere with zero traffic. We used a back, undeveloped section of our neighborhood but an empty parking lot will work too.

2. Speaking of which, start her on a smallish bike. The research I did argues between a 250ish size or a 650-900ish size to start with. I'm 5'7" and of average build and felt just fine starting on the 650 but her mileage may vary.

3. After I practiced starts, stops, turns, basic maneuvers on the clear road, we ambled around and around the neighborhood with my husband following on his own bike behind me. He'd watch me ride and at stop signs make suggestions for improvements (use both brakes, not just one; shift earlier; don't forget blinkers; lane placement; etc) for me to try in the next section of road. Only offer a few suggestions at a time. Many at once can be overwhelming to try to remember and work on.

4. After ambling the neighborhood multiple times I moved up to a back highway and finally highway driving recently. I've done my own homework to study lane placement (well, and to shop for mods to pretty my bike up. Ahem) and now feel basically competent in getting around. Am I an expert rider? Not by far. Excited to keep working on learning and growing as a rider? Absolutely.

Hope that was maybe a little helpful info from the perspective of the beginner rider!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I did kinda hijack Freedoms thread. My apologies.
If Close to Freedom is paying attention there is still a lot of good info here about/for a new rider :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bought ready to just sell both bikes and get a Goldwing.
I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. Don't make me aspirate it man!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I did kinda hijack Freedoms thread. My apologies.
Sparky's right....still a good thread. Nothing to apologize for, my friend.

Dulcy's post is great for Close to Freedom (BTW, if he's buying bikes for his wife, just how close to freedom could be be? Anyway....). If the wife is comfortable on a Vstar, it is a great bike to start: easy to ride, well-balanced, not too heavy, and every inch a cruiser.

If that's still too much, a used 250 might be the way to go, but unless she's a complete feeb, she will be ready for a bigger bike in short order so should keep that in mind.

Maybe even a 1300......:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dulcy's post is great for Close to Freedom
Oops. Sorry, I misread who'd posted the question. But thanks. Glad it might be helpful!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts